• Advertisement

Columbia flooding

Latest Disaster Information from Across the Country

Moderator: North Idaho Patriot

Columbia flooding

Postby Flightnurse1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:28 pm

Hey all, if you've been watching the news, we are being deluged with rain here in the Carolinas. My daughter is in Columbia at college and now the city is under a boil advisory as the infrastructure for water has suffered major damage. The city is flooded, bacteria in the water, and I-95 is closed. This is why we prep! My daughter listens to her dad and is safely sitting in her second story apartment fully stocked with bottled water and food. She has planned for this and will be leaving town when she can. Now before you jump the gun and say she should have left earlier. No one imagined this kind of flooding plus she is the ROTC commander at USC. She is ensuring all the cadets safety and then determining to bug out or not. Until then, she is fed, watered and armed!
Flightnurse1

Re: Columbia flooding

Postby daaswampman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:46 pm

Sounds like you done a good job and should be very proud! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Bull54 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:18 am

Glad to hear at least 1 person was prepared!! Great job raising her!
Bull54

Postby Stahlrosen » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:33 am

Stay safe. I have a client in Columbia, hoping to hear from them soon that they are okay. That was a LOT of water!
Stahlrosen

Postby Myakka » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:43 am

I have a buddy who is working the response there. Sounds like a lot of damage.

No criticisms from me for your daughter. I made my career staying behind or going in to the problem area to help, and I got my start volunteering while in college. She has my respect for it.
[i]"Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"
[/i]

Skills beats Stuff!
Myakka
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:42 am

just read a posting this AM from a pizzed off father .... Columbia Marriott turned a drowned out family away because of their "no pets" corporate policy ... manager wouldn't bend a millimeter - "What emergency?"

the local Sheraton to the rescue ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Myakka » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:11 am

Most hotels have policies to be more forgiving during a disaster. Sounds like the local manager is untrained. I expect the negative attention will remedy that problem quickly.
[i]"Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"
[/i]

Skills beats Stuff!
Myakka
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:09 am

Made a few calls to friends in SC they are all ok . Was told flooding is everywhere , they have water food and a gen running for needed power . I told them if they need anything to let me know food water or gas will be sent to them ASAP .
One fellow said water was up to the doorsteps another said there basement was flooded but in a mad rush they got most of there supplies moved out and up to the first floor before it flooded .
They are all preppers and are set to ride out the weather in there area . All are well stocked on food and water and all are well armed watching out for there neighbors homes . Looters beware they will not stand for such acts ,besides the rushing waters will carry them far away with no questions asked ......
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Flightnurse1 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:56 pm

Update. My daughter has left Columbia and I think that was a good decision. USC has 15000 students on campus with little running water and sewer. The hospital is relying on fire trucks right now for their water needs. I saw FEMA today so I'm sure everything will be alright! Sarcasm.
Flightnurse1

Postby sandlapper3 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:31 pm

I hope and pray for the safety of fellow Sandlappers. Haven't heard from some members in affected areas, Mousetoes in particular. She is one of many special people on here. Thoughts and prayers go out for her and all dealing with this disaster. The flooding covered nearly the entire state. Rivers overflowing, dams failing, 10-20 inches of rain in 3 days... :eek: Heaven help us if that hurricane in the Atlantic comes this way!
sandlapper3
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:37 pm

I tried to post last night and hubs accidentally erased it!

We live just north of Columbia- I work downtown and we have 2 daughters living down there as well. We are waterlogged but safe. Backyard is a soggy mess having been a flowing creek for several days. One daughter had attended a wedding an hour west and made it home Monday morning. Second daughter came home yesterday when they announced they may shut off the water in town.

A trip to the store yesterday yielded half empty shelves and water selling out in a matter of minutes. It was an eye opener as to how quickly a grocery store will sell out in an emergency. We weren't in dire need of anything but wanted a few fresh items for the influx of kids at the house.

Despite being told to stay off the roads, many insisted on going out. I had to work today even though roads and bridges were closed and the HP asked people to stay home. A curfew has been in place for the past two nights and will be tonight but not until midnight. First night was 6-6, second night 7-6 then tonight 12-6. The first night they said no firearms or alcohol beyond your own property - I thought that was interesting. They say tonight there will be arrests made for curfew violations.

I think the flooding is terrible but what I find even more troubling is the water system and how week the infrastructure is with water main breaks on top of the flooding of the intake canal. Boil water advisory could last as long as a week. Schools and government offices will probably be closed all week because of it. Other offices will have to provide drinking water. Hopefully some prepared individuals will get to try out their purification systems.

A final note, people's desire to help is always so amazing. A volunteer fire fighter from NC helped a man rescue his elderly parents as well as 28 other folks on a flooded street, I passed several truckloads of bottled water on its way into town from ordinary citizens and on my way home passed a Nashville FD SUV followed by a rescue boat on a trailer finishing up for the day. Thanks to all who are helping and praying - it is appreciated.

Mrs. FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby susuki5678 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:03 am

The hospital is relying on fire trucks right now for their water needs.
susuki5678

Postby mia10helson » Thu May 18, 2017 2:38 am

That was a very bad time.
mia10helson

Postby arsenal33 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:23 pm

Flood is everywhere this year. Even Bangladesh is also included to it. Lots of District are flood away by the water. Lots of people died. Thought the condition is improved now than before.
arsenal33

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:55 am

arsenal33 wrote:Flood is everywhere this year. Even Bangladesh is also included to it. Lots of District are flood away by the water. Lots of people died. Thought the condition is improved now than before.

you do realize you're commenting on old zombie postings?
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Return to National Disaster Alert