• Advertisement

Ebola-USA-Dallas Texas-HCW #2 (Amber)

Latest Disaster Information from Across the Country

Moderator: North Idaho Patriot

Ebola-USA-Dallas Texas-HCW #2 (Amber)

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:25 pm

Splitting this off to make it easier to follow. Thread can be closed, when her case is closed. -k

UPDATE: 2nd Texas Healthcare Worker:

For Immediate Release
Sunday, October 12, 2014

(404) 639-3286

CDC Confirms Healthcare Worker Who Provided Care for First Patient Positive for Ebola
http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/ ... orker.html

Patient isolated and public health investigation ongoing

Today, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed test results reported late last night by the Texas Department of State Health Services’ public health laboratory showing that a healthcare worker at Texas Presbyterian Hospital is positive for Ebola. The health care worker, who provided care for the Dallas index patient, was isolated soon after symptoms started and remains so now.

On Friday, October 10, the healthcare worker reported a low-grade fever overnight and was referred for testing. The health care worker had been self-monitoring for fever and symptoms. As a precaution, after identification of fever, the healthcare worker was isolated and CDC staff interviewed the patient to determine additional contacts or potential exposures. At this time, one close contact has been identified and is being monitored.

The hospital and patient were notified of the preliminary and confirmatory test results. Treatment decisions will be made by the patient and hospital.

This development is understandably disturbing news for the patient, the patient’s family and colleagues and the greater Dallas community. The CDC and the Texas Department of State Health Services remain confident that wider spread in the community can be prevented with proper public health measures, including ongoing contact tracing, health monitoring among those known to have been in contact with the index patient, and immediate isolations if symptoms develop.

Careful monitoring of all health care workers who had interaction with the index patient and this second patient is warranted, inc
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: EBOLA: New 'Suspected' Cases in the USA

Postby vasilikinc » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:25 pm

This is MADDENING to say the least. They want legal action taken against the hospital? Are they kidding???? And do we know yet if his mother and the rest of his family are even LEGAL? GRRRRRrrrrr

http://wgntv.com/2014/10/11/family-of-t ... motivated/
vasilikinc

Postby DuckNCover » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:16 pm

This just in, about 5 hours ago, Security Video proves NO BREACH in medical protocol. 2nd Ebola case in Dallas from AIRBORNE transmission....

https://twitter.com/TRNRadioNetwork

Here we go....

Seems that N95 masks are ineffective against Ebola, N100 is the minimal standard now...
DuckNCover

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:30 pm

DuckNCover wrote:This just in, about 5 hours ago, Security Video proves NO BREACH in medical protocol. 2nd Ebola case in Dallas from AIRBORNE transmission....

https://twitter.com/TRNRadioNetwork

Here we go....

Seems that N95 masks are ineffective against Ebola, N100 is the minimal standard now...

I'd like to see the video. It's not available at the twitter post. -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby DuckNCover » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:46 pm

I'd like to see the video too, don't know if they have made that public yet....
DuckNCover

Postby Kim333 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:39 am

2nd TX healthcare worker tests positive for Ebola.
Looking for link.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/1 ... tal-tests/
Kim333
New Hampshire Preppers Network
New Hampshire Preppers Network

Re: EBOLA-Latest News & Updates-(News is moving fast!)

Postby AuntBee » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:12 am

Relocated:

Confirmed new case in Texas

Ebola Strikes 2nd Hospital Worker, More Cases a 'Real Possibility'

A second health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital who tended to Thomas Eric Duncan as he died of Ebola has tested positive for the lethal virus, and a local official said this morning that additional cases among the hospital's health care workers is a "very real possibility."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-stri ... d=26206090
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network

Postby MrPeanut » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:17 am

AuntBee wrote:Confirmed new case in Texas

Ebola Strikes 2nd Hospital Worker, More Cases a 'Real Possibility'

A second health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital who tended to Thomas Eric Duncan as he died of Ebola has tested positive for the lethal virus, and a local official said this morning that additional cases among the hospital's health care workers is a "very real possibility."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-stri ... d=26206090

Lots of bad news from the nurses at that hospital regarding the lack of PPE, protocols, and training when, and after, Duncan was admitted.
MrPeanut

Postby AuntBee » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:25 am

MrPeanut wrote:
Lots of bad news from the nurses at that hospital regarding the lack of PPE, protocols, and training when, and after, Duncan was admitted.

I just heard the nurses' press release. If their claims are even half true, there could be a huge mess at Texas Presbyterian. :-(
AuntBee

Postby galnextdoor » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:42 am

I am not sure if the new case should make us more concerned or not. The thing that we haven't seen that would be the most concerning (in my opinion), would be if Mr. Duncan's family came down with it. Or to see another transmission in a non medical setting. There were obviously screw ups at the hospital if the first nurse got infected. I read an article speculating that there was a breach of sterile procedure during intubation and dialysis of Mr. Duncan that led to staff exposure. (I think it was a CNN or BBC article a couple days ago). We must keep in mind these are procedures being performed on a patient who is bleeding out. Ebola can cause the surface of the tongue and throat to slough off choking the patient, which is why intubation is sometimes necessary. I can only imagine what a terrible mess it is trying to do those procedures.

Hospitals really need to train their staff better if they are going to take on these cases or transfer them to a facility that is better equipped to handle these patients. Does anyone have a count on how may days it has been since Duncan's family and the police officers were exposed?
galnextdoor

Postby anita » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:52 am

galnextdoor wrote:I am not sure if the new case should make us more concerned or not. The thing that we haven't seen that would be the most concerning (in my opinion), would be if Mr. Duncan's family came down with it. Or to see another transmission in a non medical setting. There were obviously screw ups at the hospital if the first nurse got infected. I read an article speculating that there was a breach of sterile procedure during intubation and dialysis of Mr. Duncan that led to staff exposure. (I think it was a CNN or BBC article a couple days ago). We must keep in mind these are procedures being performed on a patient who is bleeding out. Ebola can cause the surface of the tongue and throat to slough off choking the patient, which is why intubation is sometimes necessary. I can only imagine what a terrible mess it is trying to do those procedures.

Hospitals really need to train their staff better if they are going to take on these cases or transfer them to a facility that is better equipped to handle these patients. Does anyone have a count on how may days it has been since Duncan's family and the police officers were exposed?

According to the health authorities, Duncan's "family" is quarantined until Oct 19 (It should be more like the 21st or longer, but I seem to be the only person worried about the days they were in the apartment with Duncan's yuck after he was removed). I'm looking forward to seeing them being trotted out, all healthy and glowing, on the 20th. Of course, I won't know if it's really them or not.

I did see the judge, Clay Jenkins, on TV last night (he's the guy who went into the apartment unprotected and transferred Louise and the others to their new undisclosed location, and has visited several times since). He is alive, but looking a little worried.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby ReadyMom » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:03 am

galnextdoor wrote:I am not sure if the new case should make us more concerned or not. The thing that we haven't seen that would be the most concerning (in my opinion), would be if Mr. Duncan's family came down with it. Or to see another transmission in a non medical setting.

:shakeyes: Agreed! -k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby pelenaka » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:04 am

Per CNN ( watching tv) 2nd nurse infected with Ebola traveled asymptomatic on a commercial airline Frontier Flight 1143 from Cleveland to Dallas the day before she started with a fever.
CDC is asking for anyone who was on that plane to contact them ...
I would imagine anyone who used the female restrooms, baggage claim, or sat in a seat in a common area.

Can't understand why she made the decision to travel without waiting the full 21days, unless she just had complete faith in her isolation gear & technique. Whatever the reason if wasn't worth putting all those lives @ risk.
pelenaka

Postby anita » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:09 am

pelenaka wrote:Per CNN ( watching tv) 2nd nurse infected with Ebola traveled asymptomatic on a commercial airline Frontier Flight 1143 from Cleveland to Dallas the day before she started with a fever.
CDC is asking for anyone who was on that plane to contact them ...
I would imagine anyone who used the female restrooms, baggage claim, or sat in a seat in a common area.

Does the airline not have a list of contact info for everyone on the flight???
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby pelenaka » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:18 am

Beyond those on the plane, think of all the people she stood next to on the sidewalk outside the airport, sky cap, touched the doors going into the terminal, checking in, passing through TSA, then the gate. Most women visit the restroom before a flight.
If it was prime time then she could have literally had contact with a few hundred people.
pelenaka

Next

Return to National Disaster Alert