• Advertisement

Possible Nation Disaster Nearing?

Latest Disaster Information from Across the Country

Moderator: North Idaho Patriot

Re: Possible Nation Disaster Nearing?

Postby anita » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:19 pm

Jlombardo wrote:Anita,
I turned 65 last October and am insured under my employer, AIG, and according to our HR folks, I can keep my company provided insurance or go to Medicare.

I took a class last fall concerning SS and Medicare, and they said you must sign up within 3 months on either side of your birthday or pay a fine.

I looked on line, and saw this:

http://www.elderlawanswers.com/turning- ... care--8968

You become eligible for Medicare at age 65, and delaying your enrollment can result in penalties, so it is important to act right away

There's much more, so there could be an exception, but on both that Elderlaw website and on the SS website, it says you should sign up.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/justmedicare.html
There's more here:
http://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-ins ... lment.html

I can also tell you that my neighbor, who is 73, was told she had to sign up for Medicare a couple of years ago. Her husband owns a business and is still working, so I imagine they still have health care of their own.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby IceFire » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:32 pm

I turned 65 last October and am insured under my employer, AIG, and according to our HR folks, I can keep my company provided insurance or go to Medicare.

For us, we will go from Tricare (military insurance) to "Tricare for Life" rather than medicare.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Lynda1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:15 am

IceFire wrote:

For us, we will go from Tricare (military insurance) to "Tricare for Life" rather than medicare.

Since my husband is a military retiree we initially chose Tri-Care but then opted to switch to US Family Health as it was a better plan. You still have to indicate which plan of Medicare you want within a few months prior to turning 65. He chose Part A as will I when I turn 65. Otherwise, SS will be garnished to cover Part B.

When he turned 65 he automatically was switched to Tri-Care for life which pays for the US Family Health for him. The only thing he has to pay is my annual coverage which is less than 400 dollars a month. When I turn 65 I don't have to do anything except indicate Part A or Part B. Taking Part A.
Lynda1

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:41 pm

If you are working at a job and can show continuous coverage of insurance you don't have to sign up for medicare.
But be very careful to get the letter, the company you work for can provide it. And make sure you don't have a
break in coverage, check an see you have so many months but I no longer know what that is.

I took part A aat 65 as it costs nothing, it pays the 80% and they suggested I take it even though we had coverage, my husband
did not. Some companies will require you to.

The local SS office had a time figuring him out, apparently not many people are employed and wait till age 69 to take
it.

When he got his final pay and we explained he retired we went into the office. He then picked up part A, we both
got part B, part B pays the doctors parts of the bills, it is now almost $120 a month each for years and years it was $110. During this time I was looking for a supplement and we chose Aetna, don't know if its good or bad, but it will pay the medicare deductible which is
now $1800 if you go in the hospital plus anything the others don't pay.

We pay $143 a month for my husbands premium and $124 for me for our supplement. Then you need part D, that pays
for prescriptions, good luck on those, I have 4 I take, 2 are a few dollars, one is for arthritis and it only pays $60 of
$150 monthly and on my premarin pays nothing, so I spend $250 a month for drugs, any drugs used when hospitalized
are paid under the other coverages.

Also be very careful, they have been doing a tricky thing the last few years, just putting you in the hospital for a
few days for "observation only", they will make you pay out of pocket if they do that and medicare won't cover you,
so be sure and ask.

Our total premiums per month now are $555 but we should be covered for everything. So adding that to my 2 drugs we
are paying out $800 a month. When he worked we had excellent insurance for BOTH of us for $295 a month and paid
a few dollars for scrips.

You do have a time frame to sign up, if you don't the penalty is an increase in coverage of around 10% may be different
now, haven't looked at it for some time.

For very low income you can get medicare and Medicaid.

Some states have Advantage programs which I believe, don't quote me cost nothing. However, they tell me you can only go
to certain doctors, no care out of state, and almost impossible if you need to go to the regular medicare coverages later.

I have an aunt that would drop and pick up her medicare, she let it go so long the son now can't afford to pay the premiums.
But she is to the point now that she has no assets and minimal income so she could get Medicaid as her healthcare.

It should be more simple but is not. We expect our costs to keep rising.
PatrioticStabilist

Previous

Return to National Disaster Alert