• Advertisement

Severe cold front hitting the USA

Latest Disaster Information from Across the Country

Moderator: North Idaho Patriot

Re: Severe cold front hitting the USA

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:56 pm

Cast Iron wrote:
rickdun wrote:Right now, 9 degrees, wind chills 13 below, winds 20 mph, gusts 40 mph, lake effect snow, cows are cold, chickens only gave me 2 eggs.

Another cup of hot coffee and another log on the fire, gots to love it.

The girls only gave me four eggs yesterday.

None as of yet this morning.

Will check again after I get from walking the dogs.

Oke... city girl that I Am, I have a question: isn't the egg inside the chicken and *have* to come out?? Wouldn't that be uncomfortable for the chicken if it didn't?
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rickdun » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:01 pm

They don't like cold weather, but, there are certain breeds of chickens that do lay in cold weather. Chickens also don't like real hot weather. Also the shortness of light in the winter also slow down egg production.

I guess I should buy some cold weather laying chickens, road island reds are good ones.

Ready Mom, nice and toasty in capital city, it's now 11 degrees here, wind chill 11 degrees below zero here. Throw another log on the fire.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby handyman777 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:06 pm

What I've noticed with my birds is ( like rick said, the shortness of light) It dose slow down production.
I've tried many a different breed and found that the Isa Brown and Leghorn work best for me.

Buff's are good mama hens (nesting hen) and will raise any offspring, even if their not there's, and there size make them a good soup bird.

Araucana are neat, you get bluish/green eggs, but my egg production only lasted about a year with them.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:04 pm

RM, a couple of things will slow down or downright stop egg production in hens. When they are molting (generally in fall, but it lasts several weeks) their body energy is going to re-growing feathers, rather than laying eggs. Also, the shorter daylight length in late fall/winter will also slow egg production way down. Currently, I'm only getting 5-6 eggs a day out of 17 hens. Some days, I only get a couple of eggs. The Auracanas aren't laying at all right now and I'm not expecting them to start up again until they've finished molting. Several of "the girls" look like they've got the mange, since they've lost so many feathers. I'll be glad when they're done molting and the day's get longer.

It was cold here today...only got to 75 degrees.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby RayMac1963 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:26 pm

Cast Iron wrote:All I do know is nature bats last.

I like that :thumbup:
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963

Postby arkieready » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:28 pm

IceFire wrote:
It was cold here today...only got to 75 degrees.

Hm. "Somebody" is competing with swampie for the sarcasm award.

Im so depressed over the cold and short days I could just bust. Bleh
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:42 pm

That's why I moved to Arizona! Couldn't stand the cold, short days, and constant gray.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:45 pm

It hit 40 one night and may be just as cold Saturday night. I tested the central heat to see if it worked and may need to close the greenhouse doors if this artic blast does not end soon. At least it was 72 today and gave us a chance to thaw out.

The hard decision is to close the bedroom window tonight or grab a light blanket. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:32 am

Currently negative eleven degrees.

That is without the windchill.

It is sunny though.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby ajax727 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:16 am

It is around 22 here this morning crisp and cold . Just happy we had thing ready for the cold weather before it came . I messed up my left hand right before Turkey day it is about healed now but can't bend one finger completely to make a fist .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby jimLE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:44 am

i have a feeling we're all gonna see a very cold winter this winter.we're in for a few cold nights/days with the temps in the 20's this winter.and thats a 1st in a few winters here.pluss we'll have a lake wind advisory from 4pm this evening,till 6am in the morning.with winds from 15 to 25mph.and wind gusts up to 30mph...
jimLE

Postby theoutback » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:52 am

I just checked a trail camera. Check out the temp on the bottom left. Man deer are tough critters!
Attachments
IMG_0151.JPG
theoutback

Postby arkieready » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:28 am

It's fixing to hit us very soon. Not bad right now, didn't need heat on last night, but in a few hours the cold will over come us, single digits tonight. Already dropped 8degrees since I got up. Yuck!

Edit. Outback, that's a fat n furry!!
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready

Postby anita » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:06 pm

I have a Rhode Island Red/White Barred Rock cross, and they lay pretty much all winter long. I have 5 chickens and got four eggs yesterday.

I have put a heat lamp in the coop in the past, but only used it when it got into the low 20s, which doesn't happen that often. We got to about 15 two nights ago, and they are still alive, so I guess they don't need the heat We'll see if the egg production slows with the lack of light, but I used it so sporadically that I don't think it makes a difference.

My chickens have never molted much either.

I guess they are Superchickens! (What, no chicken smiley??)
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Defcon09 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:50 pm

15 minutes till 9 PM and the wind chimes are still chimin'. 14 degrees now and look forward to a second night on 10 degree temps. Winds ALL DAY were 10 - 20 MPH and what is left over from a 2" snow fall 2 days ago. They say, they say, look forward to 62 degrees by Thursday. Oh that good ole mid-atlantic weather!
Defcon09

PreviousNext

Return to National Disaster Alert