• Advertisement

how long are canned fruits good?

Post canning topics here. Please use appropriate sub-category. (Click Link, This Category is not locked, there are additional sub-categories)

how long are canned fruits good?

Postby mitziadelle » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:16 am

Hi - I am just beginning to learn to do home canning, so I am probably going to ask some dumb questions here :?
I have some fig preserves that my grandmother put up, and haven't opened them due to sentimental reasons....since she will never make any more now that she's passed. I need to make room in the pantry for the new stuff, however. How long are these good for? The date on one jar is 1995.
thanks in advance....Mitzi
mitziadelle

Re: how long are canned fruits good?

Postby Grizbrb » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:42 pm

Well the guberment and their trained minions will say throw it out but if the sill is still good its should be okay. We are still using 1999 strawberries.
Grizbrb

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:46 pm

Same here. If the can is not puffy-pressurized from spoilage- it should be OK. Except for the hot sauce my wife made that is eating through the jar lids.

I'm no expert though.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby mitziadelle » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:46 pm

Thanks y'all! I will just have to open them and try them out then. I would definitely stay away from that hot sauce ;)
mitziadelle

Postby anita » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:10 pm

The nutritional value will decline over time. I don't think you are relying on fig preserves for nutrition though.
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby JayJay » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:48 am

I used home canned tomatoes, tomato sauce 15 years old. Used a can of green beans 20 years old.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby kappydell » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:11 am

still OK -
i not too long ago scarfed a jar of pickled eggs over 10 yrs old. except for the overly strong dill (my fault, i put too much in) they were delicious! One thing about the dill....those eggs never gave me gas like some will.
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:45 pm

When opening an "aged" jar or can:
1. Check the seal for loose lid or leakage-- if anything leaked out, dangerous things could have sneaked in, or if stuff spurts out when you open it.
2. Check the appearance -- any appearance very far from normal should be tossed: foaminess, mushiness, considerable color change, or cloudy -- toss it.
3. Check the smell -- should be normal -- any nasty or icky smell is bad news.
4. Signs of metal corrosion and rust -- if it shows up on the inside, toss it.

Botulism has no odor, color or taste. It only takes a tiny bit to poison you -- it's very toxic. Never do a taste test on suspicious foods, it's just not worth it.

If it just doesn't seem right, go with your instincts and get rid of it. Even with the best treatment, it takes months to get rid of the effects. No jar of food is worth that.

AND make sure you put any spoiled food where animals can't get to it.
FussyOldHen

Postby Pedro wyoming » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:34 am

Fussy has a penchant for understatement.

Clostridium Botulinum is among the most toxic microbes on earth. The bacteria do not kill, rather the waste from the bacteria does. It is an incredibly potent neurotoxin and not at all like classic food poisoning. By the time you are symptomatic, there is no treatment.
If i was gonna do in somebody with a bioweapon this is the one i would use.

Regarding peppers and corrosion...i have experienced this several times over the years. When i was young and ignorant, i thunk it was just scorching hot jalapenos that causes the corrosion. Now that i am a lil older and a lil wiser.
OK maybe just a lil older, The corrosion seems to be caused by an adverse reaction between the peppers and the oil or vinegar used for packing. I have eaten them from jars with melted gaskets and apparent corrosion on the inner surface of the lid with no ill effects. This only happens with jalapeno peppers and if it occurs with any other canned goods one may have, i suggest tossing all contents. Dispose away from any friendly animals as well...let the local coyotes determine if it was safe or not...not the lil ruffs or henny penny girls.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:42 am

Pedro wyoming wrote:Fussy has a penchant for understatement.

Clostridium Botulinum is among the most toxic microbes on earth. The bacteria do not kill, rather the waste from the bacteria does. It is an incredibly potent neurotoxin and not at all like classic food poisoning. By the time you are symptomatic, there is no treatment.
If i was gonna do in somebody with a bioweapon this is the one i would use.

Regarding peppers and corrosion...i have experienced this several times over the years. When i was young and ignorant, i thunk it was just scorching hot jalapenos that causes the corrosion. Now that i am a lil older and a lil wiser.
OK maybe just a lil older, The corrosion seems to be caused by an adverse reaction between the peppers and the oil or vinegar used for packing. I have eaten them from jars with melted gaskets and apparent corrosion on the inner surface of the lid with no ill effects. This only happens with jalapeno peppers and if it occurs with any other canned goods one may have, i suggest tossing all contents. Dispose away from any friendly animals as well...let the local coyotes determine if it was safe or not...not the lil ruffs or henny penny girls.

pW

Just imagine what those hot peppers are doing to your digestive tract :eek:
Better have your personal gaskets and seals checked.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:55 pm

PW: "Dispose away from any friendly animals as well...let the local coyotes determine if it was safe or not...not the lil ruffs or henny penny girls."

One thing I've wondered about and no one has ever mentioned: If you dispose of Botulism-contaminated food where wild animals (including mice and rats) can get to it, and your dog or cat eats one of those rodents that ate the food, wouldn't it be potent enough to kill the pet?
FussyOldHen

Return to Canning