• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

How to tell of jars sealed properly

General Topics Regarding Canning

How to tell of jars sealed properly

Postby Chance21 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:00 pm

I just did my first batch of hamburger...first time canning ever.

When all was said and done i know I heard a few pops from the lids, not sure if I heard them all ?

How do I know if the jars are sealed properly ?
Region 5
Chance21

Re: How to tell of jars sealed properly

Postby Kimmer17 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Leave them..they should all seal within a couple hours. Some seal right away, others can take a while. If you press on the center and it pops up and down then they did not seal. If all of them all down, let them sit undisturbed until tomorrow evening. Remove the bands and scrub the jars with soap and water, paying close attention to the threads. You'll actually be able to pick them up right where the lids meet the jars and they wont budge. If you do have any that didn't seal properly, simply put in the fridge and use within the next couple of days.
Just be sure when canning to wipe the rims with white vinegar. This removes and grease that could cause seal failure.
Kimmer17

Postby Chance21 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:13 pm

The lids all seem to be down, its been a few hours now but there is still loose liquid-maybe thats normal ? Im concerned because this is my first time....when doing it the pressure went way over 10 ( pressure gauge ) and I had to keep adjusting the temp to get it to stay at 10,it did fine and I kept checking it over and over. The last 6 minutes I noticed even though it had been at med-low the whole time it shot over 10 again ? I was going to do another round but Im not sure this was even done right ?
Region 5
Chance21

Postby Kimmer17 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:35 pm

When you say loose liquid..do you mean the water or broth that you added to the hamburger? Any liquids that are in the jars will remain just that..liquid. For example, if you were to can raw chicken, you wouldn't add any liquids to the jars, because the chicken will produce it's own liquid. And you can definitely see this liquid toward the tops or if you turn it sideways.
I attached a video of Linda canning ground beef. I am a very visual person, so when I first started canning I watched tons of youtube videos. Her videos are a little bit long, but so genuine and informative. I can burger all the time, but I still watched this one for any little tips. Glad I did..never thought of boiling my beef and using the liquid for canning.
See if this helps and if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to hollar.
Kimmer, TN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-2wykTXAP8
Kimmer17

Postby Chance21 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:29 pm

Kimmer17 wrote:When you say loose liquid..do you mean the water or broth that you added to the hamburger? Any liquids that are in the jars will remain just that..liquid. For example, if you were to can raw chicken, you wouldn't add any liquids to the jars, because the chicken will produce it's own liquid. And you can definitely see this liquid toward the tops or if you turn it sideways.
I attached a video of Linda canning ground beef. I am a very visual person, so when I first started canning I watched tons of youtube videos. Her videos are a little bit long, but so genuine and informative. I can burger all the time, but I still watched this one for any little tips. Glad I did..never thought of boiling my beef and using the liquid for canning.
See if this helps and if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to hollar.
Kimmer, TN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-2wykTXAP8

I have watched every video on canning on you tube...lol.....I guess Im concerned of the pressure not staying at 10 in the beginning and do I only have to restart the time if it dropped below 10 ? Ugh....something so easy from what Im told is giving me so much stress..lol

I have subscribed to alot of canning people on you tube,thank you for the video link Im sure I will watch it a few times before I start my next batch of hamburger.
Region 5
Chance21

Postby Kimmer17 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Don't stress..believe me..we all doubted what we were doing when we first started. You only have to restart your time if you go below 10lbs. I'm sure everything is fine. :)
Kimmer17

Postby contrarian » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:49 pm

As long as the pressure stays at or above the required pressure, it's good. The major reason to turn it down is energy conservation and over heating the house. Of course, assuming you are keeping it below the danger range. My recommended pressures is 14 and I can never get it below 15. Nothing to worry about.
Prepping -- prudence in action
I prep not panic.
No, you may not quote me or my posts either for any book, for any reason without my express written permission.
contrarian
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby chickasaw » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:22 pm

you know, instead of using the gauge that you have to watch why dont you get one of the other gauges that are available for pressure canners: you can get one that has 5,10, and 15lbs on the gauge and you use the one that you need. all pressure canning gauges will fit any pressure canner. the gauge i am talking about jiggles and rattles when the pressure is up. when it starts jiggling that is when your timing starts..if you think it is jiggling too fast or too loud you can adjust your heat accordingly and as long as the gauge does its jiggling act there is nothing to worry or stress over.
chickasaw

Postby islandchik » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Sounds like you should be fine. Like others said, if your pressure went over, that's nothing to worry about. Worry if it was under your goal. The only thing I would be concerned with are any lids which are not sunken. I wouldn't leave them at room temp for hours on end or overnight. I would refrigerate and check them in the morning. If they still did not seal by that time, I would either cook and eat the meat or freeze it.
He who does not economize will have to agonize. ~ Confucius
islandchik
Maine Preppers Network
Maine Preppers Network

Postby dbcox » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:20 am

Sounds to me like you did a FINE job for the first time! As food for thought you have now learned that as the contents of the jars heat up it requires less heat to maintain pressure. As has been stated before too much pressure (with-in reason) is not an issue. If you were to rapidly and radically change the pressure in your canner you could cause it to loose the liquids and contaminate the sealing surfaces.
dbcox
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby Chance21 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:22 pm

THANK You Sooooo much for every ones kind words.....Im sure Im over thinking and stressing this, but the last thing I want to do is feed this to my family and have them get sick or something. Im just now doing quarts of hamburger as we speak,think I might of really screwed this one up.I did the whole get the air bubbles out but after I added the water to the jars I saw bubbles around the top. I went ahead and put the jars in the pressure cooker but thinking we will be eating alot of ground beef this week.
Region 5
Chance21

Postby contrarian » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:42 pm

I suspect you'll be fine. While it's a good thing to get rid of the bubbles, it's to ensure you have the right amount of liquid in the jar. That way you won't have "dry" product on the top of the jar. The safety of the food wouldn't be compromized, but a bit might be dry.

As a practical matter, I have some canned dog food that has the top rice exposed and there's no real drying.
Prepping -- prudence in action
I prep not panic.
No, you may not quote me or my posts either for any book, for any reason without my express written permission.
contrarian

Postby Chance21 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:52 pm

Ok so I have taken the jars out and they are cooling, you can see bubbles around the top on at least 2 jars. Also I did hear a few pings but as of now the lids have a small indent in the center of the lid,if it stays this way am I to assume that they didnt seal properly ?
Region 5
Chance21

Postby Kimmer17 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Remember, that while the jars are processing the seals are "flexing". This is why sometimes your water will be tinged or especially with beef you might discover a little fat in the threads when you remove the bands (this is why it is so important to remove bands and scrub the next day)..but if there was a little bit of air at the top of your jars, I'm sure it escaped during the processing. If it hadn't then the jars will not seal.
Kimmer17

Postby Chance21 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:31 pm

I guess I will see how they are tomorrow....and post the results....Thanks everyone for holding my hand thru this !
Region 5
Chance21

Next

Return to General Canning Topics