• Advertisement

Older Home Canned Food

General Topics Regarding Canning

Older Home Canned Food

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:26 pm

In moving to the homestead, canned food that we had at the BOL is now moved into our house. This morning hubs shared some pear jam canned in 2012 with his old fart breakfast crew and they said it was delicious. The only thing I noticed was it was a little darker towards the top.

Tonite we opened a quart jar of honey vanilla pears canned in 2014. It had plenty of syrup so no dry top, the fruit still appeared firm and it wasn't cloudy. The seal made a nice release sound when opened as well. The pears were lightly sweet and not mushy. There was no longer a scent or taste of vanilla though but I think we used extract and not a vanilla bean. We enjoyed them for dessert with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.

I know it is recommended that home canned food be consumed in a years time but as Preppers we tend to push that limit. Please share your experiences with home canned foods, good and bad. What's the oldest food you've come upon, eaten or thrown out. What did or didn't do well over time. Inquiring prepper minds want to know! :)

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Re: Older Home Canned Food

Postby IceFire » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Blackberry Jam from 1994. Still tasty, and no ill effects. Good thing, too, as I still have several jars of it...
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby JayJay » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:11 pm

One year??
That's the manufacturers trying to get you to destroy good food.
I've eaten home canned tomatoes, tomato juice, pickles, and green beans 20 years old.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby JayJay » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:12 pm

IceFire wrote:Blackberry Jam from 1994. Still tasty, and no ill effects. Good thing, too, as I still have several jars of it...

Exactly!!!
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 pm

I believe it's the USDA that makes the 1 year recommendation.

Had to laugh about the blackberry jam....it would never make it that long at our house!

Have heard of store bought tomato products going bad at their expiration date. Have encountered 1 can of store bought diced tomatoes being off. I wonder why home canned ones would last 20 years?

Anyone with experience with home canned meats? We know Preppers who have canned lots of meat and haven't eaten any of it. Some of it is probably 5 years old.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby anita » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:56 am

I just posted about this on another thread.

I have a BS in Food Science.

Canned food does not go bad on the pull date. That date gives an identifier, should something have to be recalled, as well as indication of when something should be replaced, but it doesn't mean it's no good the day or week after it expires.

Having said that, food degrades from the moment it is picked. It can be preserved to last longer, but it is constantly degrading, softening, darkening, losing vitamins, etc. The fats go rancid with time.

Have I eaten food past its due date? Yes. Do I eat things 5-10 years after? No. Whether it looks or tastes fine isn't the issue. It's whether the food still has much nutrition left in it. And that is on a continuum. From the time it is harvested on, the food is degrading. It may not make you sick. That doesn't mean it's good for you.

And, just as an example, about a year ago I got some gluten-free pasta out of my stores. It was well past the due date, but I used it anyway, because I figured--what could go bad with pasta? The next day I woke up with bloodshot, puffy eyes and other symptoms of having eaten something that wasn't good for me. I'm pretty tuned in to how my body reacts to things (need to be after having celiac.) Twenty years ago I might not have noticed the reaction, but I did have a reaction, even though the pasta looked/tasted fine.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby sageprice » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:03 pm

anita wrote:I just posted about this on another thread.

I have a BS in Food Science.

Canned food does not go bad on the pull date. That date gives an identifier, should something have to be recalled, as well as indication of when something should be replaced, but it doesn't mean it's no good the day or week after it expires.

Having said that, food degrades from the moment it is picked. It can be preserved to last longer, but it is constantly degrading, softening, darkening, losing vitamins, etc. The fats go rancid with time.

Have I eaten food past its due date? Yes. Do I eat things 5-10 years after? No. Whether it looks or tastes fine isn't the issue. It's whether the food still has much nutrition left in it. And that is on a continuum. From the time it is harvested on, the food is degrading. It may not make you sick. That doesn't mean it's good for you.

And, just as an example, about a year ago I got some gluten-free pasta out of my stores. It was well past the due date, but I used it anyway, because I figured--what could go bad with pasta? The next day I woke up with bloodshot, puffy eyes and other symptoms of having eaten something that wasn't good for me. I'm pretty tuned in to how my body reacts to things (need to be after having celiac.) Twenty years ago I might not have noticed the reaction, but I did have a reaction, even though the pasta looked/tasted fine.

Sorry Anita, but when you are starving, you just want to make it till the next planting season.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby anita » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Obviously if you have nothing, you eat whatever you can find. People drink their own urine, cannibalize, or eat their dogs, or rats, or bugs when they are desperate. (Look what's happening in Venezuela right now.)

That isn't the question here.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:32 pm

Actually, the question here isn't about store bought canned goods, it's about home canned foods.

Yes, food starts to degrade immediately. I just wanted folks to share their experiences with home canned foods.

I thought of another experience to share. We canned some sausage links from Zaycon. Browned them a little then canned with broth. A year later we tested some and found that the consistency didn't hold up well. They were very mushy, so we just break them up and make a scramble with eggs, onions and cheese.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby anita » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:13 pm

The concept is the same, whether home canned or canned from a factory.

anita

Postby sageprice » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:06 pm

sageprice

Postby daaswampman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:22 pm

sageprice wrote:http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/12/26/167819082/dont-fear-that-expired-food I leave it to the experts

There you go again! Trying to confuse the argument with facts! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby anita » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:41 pm

I think this article proves my point. It agreed with me that the pull date isn't some magical date after which the food isn't any good, And, within the article, Janet Dudek said that the very old food had lower levels of vitamins--(and, oh by the way, no one tasted it, and frankly, it doesn't sound like they did a lot of testing on it either.)

This debate happens every time this subject comes up, and frankly, I don't know why I waste my time (I guess because I think good nutrition and food safety are important and I see all sorts of misinformation bandied about on these boards). People want to believe that there is nothing wrong with eating expired food, and in most cases, there isn't, as long as the food isn't years past its pull date.

There is a difference in food quality (and that isn't necessarily something that can be observed) between eating recently expired food and food that expired several years ago. That's just a fact. There's also a difference between eating an old jelly, loaded with sugar, that you aren't eating for the vitamins, and eating canned fruit or vegetables, or meats.

I also said that I'd eat very old food it if I were desperate and had nothing else. But there's a big difference between being desperate, with nothing else to eat, and being penny wise and pound foolish. I tend to use canned foods if they are within 6 months, maybe a year past their pull date. But if you eat old canned goods and they provide you with little nutrition, or the fats have gone rancid, what have you saved?

If you want to eat the most nutritious food you can (which old canned goods, etc., clearly are not), then you don't eat food that is years past its pull date.

Now, what the pull date really is for home-canned food is a whole other debate, because the USDA just puts a blanket one year expiration on it all, and clearly that isn't anything definitive. I have tomatoes canned two years ago sitting in my basement that I intend to use, as long as they look/smell fine. But I will use them up or toss them before next year's canning season. I also have pickles canned in 2015 and 2016 that I will definitely toss, because they darken and get soft after a year. (One more thing to do before I move!)

anita

Postby daaswampman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:38 pm

If you want to eat the most nutritious food you can (which old canned goods, etc., clearly are not), then you don't eat food that is years past its pull date.

If you want to eat the most nutritious food, then your only choice is fresh and organically grown! Every typical diet (even with can goods), will supply more than enough Vitamins for the average person. The real problem with all commercial foods, is a lack of trace minerals, but that is due to growing conditions and not preservation method or age. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby anita » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:37 am

daaswampman wrote:If you want to eat the most nutritious food you can (which old canned goods, etc., clearly are not), then you don't eat food that is years past its pull date.

If you want to eat the most nutritious food, then your only choice is fresh and organically grown! Every typical diet (even with can goods), will supply more than enough Vitamins for the average person. The real problem with all commercial foods, is a lack of trace minerals, but that is due to growing conditions and not preservation method or age. Swamp

The lack of trace minerals is a problem, which is why I use azomite in my garden.

anita

Next

Return to General Canning Topics