• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Prepper Spending Challenge! How would you do it?

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Prepper Spending Challenge! How would you do it?

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Tue May 02, 2017 6:30 pm

OK....Just for fun here but its also going to be informative with ideas for all...

See link here....
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-Farms-Deluxe-1-Year-1-Person-Food-Storage-Kit-138-pc/55292804

I came across this doing research today on Wally Worlds website...

We all know that this would be a horrible way to live for a year on this food as an option for survival, but hey, it would get the job done in a pinch....
(Keep in mind this does have a can of seeds so that can be assumed as part of the labor involved in this option for conditions below.)

The Challenge....

How would you spend the money given the exact same budget guaranteeing your FOOD survival needs for 1 person for 1 year?
How would your survival situation be improved?
Does the extra labor involved in your solution offset the ease/cost of Wally Worlds option of a single button push one year solution.

The rules:
Sky's the limit on creativity...
You must not overspend($1,778 is the cap spending limit)
It must sustain at a min. a single person for 1 year.

---OR---

Are you the guy/gal that would take the quick out of a single button push for a years peace of mind while sacrificing quality?

So again, this is just for fun.....Feel free to get as detailed or brief as you want in your solution...Just have fun with it if you care to participate...

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Re: Prepper Spending Challenge! How would you do it?

Postby oldasrocks » Wed May 03, 2017 8:18 am

I'd spend it all on beef and cheese sandwiches and stick them in the freezer. Or maybe frozen pizzas.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Wed May 03, 2017 9:11 am

oldasrocks wrote:I'd spend it all on beef and cheese sandwiches and stick them in the freezer. Or maybe frozen pizzas.

I wouldn't. I wouldn't be able to expel that, cork comes to mind.

1 years worth ha?

Well I would buy my normal stuff. Veggies in cans, cheeases, meat in cans, fruit in cans or can it myself. Stock up on vitamins. Anything left over I would buy the comfort foods like cake!
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Wed May 03, 2017 9:37 am

I have enough food on hand for me and the wife to last about 3 years plus beef/chickens on the hoof. But I would buy fresh fruits/vegetables to can for a year.

Although not food, I'd buy some more ammo, black powder, etc., to spend out the money.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed May 03, 2017 10:04 am

Gunns wrote:
oldasrocks wrote:I'd spend it all on beef and cheese sandwiches and stick them in the freezer. Or maybe frozen pizzas.

I wouldn't. I wouldn't be able to expel that, cork comes to mind.

1 years worth ha?

Well I would buy my normal stuff. Veggies in cans, cheeases, meat in cans, fruit in cans or can it myself. Stock up on vitamins. Anything left over I would buy the comfort foods like cake!

Don't forget to chew the Gum Rocks....That's why its in the kit. :rofl:

Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby oldasrocks » Wed May 03, 2017 11:53 am

Wish we could still buy C-Rats. Much better than the current crap called MRE's
oldasrocks

Postby Gunns » Wed May 03, 2017 1:22 pm

oldasrocks wrote:Wish we could still buy C-Rats. Much better than the current crap called MRE's

I have to agree. I loved them, little hot sauce made most bearable. Loved the Turkey Loaf. How about that Pecan Nut Roll?
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Wed May 03, 2017 3:44 pm

Beans, rice, dehydrated potatoes, dehydrated onions, canned meat, two dehydrators , frozen veggies of all kind, frozen meat for dehydrating, canning jars, dried peas, lentils, spices, flour, SALT, bouillon cubes, dried soup, coffee powder, tea, sugar, ghee, lard, cooking oil, alcohol of all types O man the list just goes on.....!
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu May 04, 2017 9:15 am

sageprice wrote:Beans, rice, dehydrated potatoes, dehydrated onions, canned meat, two dehydrators , frozen veggies of all kind, frozen meat for dehydrating, canning jars, dried peas, lentils, spices, flour, SALT, bouillon cubes, dried soup, coffee powder, tea, sugar, ghee, lard, cooking oil, alcohol of all types O man the list just goes on.....!

lol! BooM!!!

There we go....great list! :thumbup:

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby NJMike » Thu May 04, 2017 9:46 am

I agree with the list/approach from Sageprice.

Looking at the Walmart/Augason deal- Averaged out it's over 400 calories per dollar, 1975 calories a day for year. That might be hard to beat on dollar for dollar depending on approach, however it doesn't include basic condiments and spices, and has many not-meat items with TVP.

I have over a year of food for myself. It's a mix of Augason, Emergency Essentials, Mountain House, LDS canned goods, my own canned goods, 5 gallon pails of bulk items (like honey) and a variety of shelf stable grocery or discount club purchased food items. That's provides greater variety to avoid diet fatigue. I just rotate through items with shorter shelf life.

Also, Not all my food needs hot water for reconstitution, which I think can be a huge drawback to the "year of #10 cans" dehydrated and freeze dried approach. There may be situations where water or fuel needs to be conserved. Canned vegetables and meats can be stewed in their own juices. Tuna fish, canned fruits, and other items are easily consumed out of the can without heating. I even have some B&M canned bread, as a carrying device for the Red Feather butter. :)
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby jimLE » Thu May 04, 2017 10:48 am

id buy more canning jars n supplies first.then more seeds.ammo,traps snares.more clothes..then and only then.id concentrate on more foods..
jimLE

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu May 04, 2017 5:27 pm

NJMike wrote:I agree with the list/approach from Sageprice.

Looking at the Walmart/Augason deal- Averaged out it's over 400 calories per dollar, 1975 calories a day for year. That might be hard to beat on dollar for dollar depending on approach, however it doesn't include basic condiments and spices, and has many not-meat items with TVP.

I have over a year of food for myself. It's a mix of Augason, Emergency Essentials, Mountain House, LDS canned goods, my own canned goods, 5 gallon pails of bulk items (like honey) and a variety of shelf stable grocery or discount club purchased food items. That's provides greater variety to avoid diet fatigue. I just rotate through items with shorter shelf life.

Also, Not all my food needs hot water for reconstitution, which I think can be a huge drawback to the "year of #10 cans" dehydrated and freeze dried approach. There may be situations where water or fuel needs to be conserved. Canned vegetables and meats can be stewed in their own juices. Tuna fish, canned fruits, and other items are easily consumed out of the can without heating. I even have some B&M canned bread, as a carrying device for the Red Feather butter. :)

Nice Mike...Good preps.

I'm in a rental...4 bedrooms.....And while I garden(supplements a little, but it's more about getting the experience) I'm very limited in my space and production...Almost nothing gets saved past the season.

With that, and needing the portability of a future move in there, and being in the middle of a huge city, the freeze0dried option was a no-brainer option for me to get an immediate 3 month jump start on my preps for a family of 3 and starting from scratch...

I started with a bulk order of Wise.(I know, THE SODIUM!) but it gave me a little room to breath.... Since then(years back) I've been able to supplement and diversify....I've spent way over this specific budget listed(Family of 3) but I'm up to a conservative estimate of 7 months breathing room if SHTF with heavy rationing...water included in that.

I really want more "real food" options but I figure I've got it better than 90% of the 5 million people I'm surrounded by.....

Sometimes on here I second guess my preps as being inadequate or the wrong items from seeing how far behind I am from others, but I guess I'm grading on a "real curve" in a prepper community and going to judge myself harsher than when talking with neighbors/friends.....There like stated I'm in the top 10% at a guess. ;)

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby IceFire » Thu May 04, 2017 8:19 pm

Rice (50 lb bag at Costco under $15) Wheat, barley, oats, and corn (all available at the feed store for $15 or under for a 50 lb bag), extra garden seeds, heck, I could even get a couple of pigs and maybe even a cow or two!

Already have the goats and chickens for milk, meat, and eggs, in addition to the garden. Also have plenty of rabbits and quail, as well.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri May 05, 2017 10:29 am

IceFire wrote:Rice (50 lb bag at Costco under $15) Wheat, barley, oats, and corn (all available at the feed store for $15 or under for a 50 lb bag), extra garden seeds, heck, I could even get a couple of pigs and maybe even a cow or two!

Already have the goats and chickens for milk, meat, and eggs, in addition to the garden. Also have plenty of rabbits and quail, as well.

Here we go again...lol...my jealousy is shining thru. :)

Someday I'll get there....

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby IceFire » Fri May 05, 2017 9:09 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:
IceFire wrote:Rice (50 lb bag at Costco under $15) Wheat, barley, oats, and corn (all available at the feed store for $15 or under for a 50 lb bag), extra garden seeds, heck, I could even get a couple of pigs and maybe even a cow or two!

Here we go again...lol...my jealousy is shining thru. :)

Someday I'll get there....

Driven, it took us a while, but first we had to get out of the area where we DIDN'T want to be, back to the general area where we DID want to be (THAT took a while) and then had to wait until the right property came along. When it finally did, we jumped on it, in conjunction with our oldest kid (we share the property as "joint tenants with right of survivorship" so if someone croaks, the others get that person's "share", and don't have to worry about probate or inheritance taxes)

Eventually, you'll get there too. Just do what you can in the meantime, and keep your eyes peeled for the right place. When it comes along, jump on it.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Family Preparedness