• Advertisement

Where to LIVE?

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Where to LIVE?

Postby HiDosEpi » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:33 am

IF you could live anywhere in the United States, and set up your prepping, i.e. house, land, garden, animals, everything you could ever need, where would it be. Consider, best land, terrain, building codes, local laws, concealed carry laws, fishing, hunting, soil consistency. Ability to connect with other preppers, farmers, for trade and barter purposes. Availability of power, water, communication, and off grid options in area, i.e. well, solar, wind etc. If you had to choose one place to make your stand and raise you family where would you choose and why. Maybe you are already there, tell us why? If you have the perfect spot, how did you pick it and why? Don't worry, lol, no ones going to move across the road from you, lol! Just sharing considerations. Looking forward to seeing your post!
HiDosEpi
Kentucky Preppers Network

Re: Where to LIVE?

Postby cherokeenut » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:48 am

I agree! CO has the best of a lot of places (except we have too many liberals but... :gunshooting: ) We have great mountains, plains and lots of water that every other state near here wants. Good hunting, fishing and great land to grow on.
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby Asatrur » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:13 am

cherokeenut wrote:I agree! CO has the best of a lot of places (except we have too many liberals but... :gunshooting: ) We have great mountains, plains and lots of water that every other state near here wants. Good hunting, fishing and great land to grow on.

Yes, colorado is a great place. As for the politics, every state has too many of both parties and since there is little difference between them it really makes no difference until we remove them all from office and start over :gunshooting:
One is none, two is one!
Asatrur
Extra license HAM
Asatrur
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby MrDanB » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:17 am

Eastern Wa. There are still some areas that are affordable, much warmer climate than the west side of our state, lakes/rivers are abundant, hunting, great soil and less humans! :)
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator

Postby HiDosEpi » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:00 am

The voices may not be real but they do have some good ideas~
HiDosEpi

Postby Tobor » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:15 pm

i would go back home to PA..home turf advantage and all..the land the weather the people..
Tobor

Postby mombear » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:13 pm

I think AR, because of the caves, water, good hunting and all the great people I've meet there.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear
Minnesota Preppers Network
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby PAfrogmom » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:40 pm

I live in PA but way too close to bigger city. I'd rather be up in mountains away from people and crowds. If had money socked away, I'd probably relocate to West Virginia mountains.
The joy of life lies not in the destination but in the journey. Live life without regrets.
PAfrogmom

Postby Atreus » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:17 pm

All of the mountainous areas sound great but I have to wonder if flat areas like middle Indiana away from most fault lines would be better.
There won't be a declared "SHTF" day so be prepared.
Atreus
Michigan State Moderator
Michigan State Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:08 pm

I really like Alaska. No concealed carry permit needed, just do it. Out where I live, no property taxes. Not a million people in the entire State. Fairly good hunting and excellent fishing. Now the down sides. Not a great growing season in most of the State. You can grow stuff, you just have to do it differently than usual and look for varieties slow to bolt and cold weather and soil tolerant. There are some things that are good and bad, depending on how you look at it. Very few roads, which is both. Most of the State needs an airplane or boat or dog sled (maybe feet) just to get to them. Most of the State has no electricity or phone or mail service, except in actual villages or towns. Lots of areas with no running water or sewer systems, again, most of the State.

Eastern Washington isn't cold and wet like the western part of the State, same for Oregon. The Cascade Mountains make a world of difference in climate.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866

Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and my autobiography all in one.

Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby growlikecrazy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:31 pm

I would probably have to choose southern Ohio or West Virginia. Just a good area for growing food, hunting, fishing, etc.
growlikecrazy

Postby MrDanB » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:51 pm

HiDosEpi wrote:Thanks for the intel.... Maybe everyone should take another look at Colorado. Anytime I ever did a land search there, the only thing they had listed were these, desert looking, nothing for as far as the eye could see, subdivided lots. Being a fan of trees, and grass, sorry itsadisaster, this prepper like a little cover and concealment, if you know what I mean. But sounds like at least you guys have that. Washington state, I've always heard cold. and rainy. But very pretty. Do you know what your concealed carry laws are for your states?
Your Epi

File an application w/payment, pass a background check and load your holster. All the Fed laws apply here ofcourse: no carry at schools, courthouse, banks, etc. I will retire early to E. Wa or Texas. Texas has water issues assocated with it and too close to the border for my liking, but we have family there..
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB

Postby simpleman » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:33 pm

The south western half of Va. is a fine place to live. The weather is mild both in summer and winter. Va. is a gun friendly state with great hunting. Taxes are a little high , building codes in my county are not that tough all you do is call something a pole barn and build anywhere lol. The terrain runs from flat pasture to small mountians with a lot of places built down in hollows the area has a lot of natural springs and small streams that run down from the Blue ridge mtns. The people of the area if born here are very nice and mostly kin .
Where is the spell check on this site I need it
We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." - Ayn Rand (1905-1982

Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
simpleman
Virginia State Moderator
Virginia State Moderator

Postby itsadisaster » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:55 pm

HiDosEpi wrote:Thanks for the intel.... Maybe everyone should take another look at Colorado. Anytime I ever did a land search there, the only thing they had listed were these, desert looking, nothing for as far as the eye could see, subdivided lots. Being a fan of trees, and grass, sorry itsadisaster, this prepper like a little cover and concealment, if you know what I mean. But sounds like at least you guys have that. Washington state, I've always heard cold. and rainy. But very pretty. Do you know what your concealed carry laws are for your states?
Your Epi

Yeah - CO has a lot of high plains desert areas --- some are more boring than our 'zona deserts but we have our share of flat scrub land too. And I hear ya Epi - we love green stuff (trees and grass - altho not a fan of mowing) and looking forward to heading back to midwest -- maybe So-Cent MO or possibly NW or N-Cent AR since lots of water, critters, etc. Just hate humidity .. another good ben-ee of CO or AZ .. nice and dry but drawback is water is a precious commodity. Many other states have been on our radar (esp in northern tier of US but just too dang cold up there -- esp since for us desert rats!)
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download our free mini ebook ... and support APN by becoming a Gold Member
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby HiDosEpi » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:34 pm

The voices may not be real but they do have some good ideas~
HiDosEpi

Next

Return to General Homesteading Topics