• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Pets

Survival and Sustainability tips and ideas for suburbanites and apartment dwellers

Moderators: IceFire, medic72

Pets

Postby Who is John Gall » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:06 am

Ok, I would be the first to admit that if I had to choose, I would choose a loved human over a loved animal and most of my planning has been done with that in mind. But, nevertheless, I do still plan for them.

We have a cat, four dogs, three parrots, a 50 gallon fish tank (with fish), and the koi pond (with koi). I live in hurricane country, so I plan with that in mind... What if we are without power for weeks? What if the house is destroyed (nearly was in Gustav)?

Yes, I do stock extra food and water for everyone (fur, feathers, and scales). But, the fish need good water quality. A well maintained aquarium should be able to withstand 24 (maybe 48) hours without circulating water, but after that the fish will start to suffocate and die in the stagnant water. To try and keep the fish alive (I have had some of them for over 5 years now, they are like scaly family) here are my plans: First, when I know that a storm is approaching, do a water change (time permitting). Next, during the storm when the power goes out, use battery powered air pumps (more on those latter). Then, when the generator gets going, run the tanks filters on the ginny. As a last resort, manually circulate the water (pull out and dump back in a gallon of water at a time every hour or so).

Not sure if I am doing this photo bit right, but here is a pic of one brand of battery powered air pump:
There are others, I have seen some at Walmart in the fishing section for use with live bait wells. Most seem to rum about $7-$15. The one that I have runs off of D cells and plugs into a wall outlet. It does not run off of the AC current, but as soon as that current goes off/the power goes out the little pump comes on. They come with air stones, but I use the little disposable charcoal filters for kiddie tanks from Petsmart. They are cheap, provide some circulation, and provide some filtration too. You just rinse them off with tap water and plug them into the air hose and they are ready to go. I have three of these air pumps for the tank. I am also planning on using this system with the fish in 5 gallon buckets, should we need to evacuate (or when we end up moving in the next year or so...no, toting the fish about during a forced relocation is not my plan, but I am prepared to do so).

Still working on the koi pond. It holds about 800 gallons, which would probably be topped off with the rain during a hurricane, and the fish have all fared well without the pump going for several days in a row. I am thinking of building a solar generator to run some things in the house at need (the generator gets really loud) and will probably have it run the pond's pump all of the time to exercise the battery.

As for the other animals, I try and keep them all ready to evacuate at need. I keep a 5-gallon bucket sealed with their stuff in it: extra collars and leashes, toys, doggie baggies, copies of immunization records, zip lock bags of kitty litter. I have a travel carrier for each animal (2 of the parrots fit well in wire rabbit cages and the third goes into a wire dog crate) and a disposable litter box for the cat. I also keep a pet first aid kit...amazingly enough, though, the antibiotics for the fish that they sell at Petsmart seem to be the same as the ones that are dispensed for people.

I do know that these pets are all just creature comforts, and if worse were to come to worse and I had to chose what goes into the truck, a case of MREs or a bucket of fish...well MREs can be pretty tasty. Nonetheless, I still believe in planning for the worst and hoping for the best.
Who is John Gall

Re: Pets

Postby IceFire » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:07 pm

You are so right, Who is...we need to be prepped for our feathered, finned, and furred "kids", as well as for the human family members. It's all part of being what's called a responsible pet owner.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby okie B » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Let's see if this copies or not. A friend sent me an e-mail a couple of weeks ago with info on pet health care.

Over-The-Counter Medications You Can Give To Your Pet
Medicine Notes Dosage How Often
Buffered Aspirin For dogs only. Pain relief, anti-inflammatory. 1 tablet per 60 Lbs. 2 times per day
Baby Aspirin For dogs only. Pain relief, anti-inflammatory. 1 tablet per 15 Lbs. 2 times per day
Benedryl® Treat allergies, itching, reaction to insect stings, etc. 1 mg. Per 1 Lb. 2 times per day
Dramamine® Not for animals with glaucoma or bladder problems. Reduce car sickness. 3-25 Lb. Pet - 12.5 mg.
26-50 Lb. Pet - 25 mg.
51 Lb. + pet - 50 mg. Give at least 1 hour prior to travel, no more than once a day
Pepto-Bismol® For dogs only. Relieve vomiting or stomach gas, diarrhea. 1 tsp. Per 20 Lbs. Every 6 hours
Hydrogen Peroxide 3% To induce vomiting after accidental ingestion of a poison. 1 Tbls. Per 10 Lbs. Up to 3 times, 10 minute intervals, until vomiting occurs
Mineral Oil Eliminate constipation. Dogs: up to 4 Tbls.
Cats: up to 2 Tbls. Daily, as needed
Acetaminophen, Tylenol®, Ibuprofen, Motrin®, Nuprin®, Alieve® Never give to animals.
Anemia: Feeding your pet foods high in iron and B vitamins will help this problem. A serving of liver once a day is sufficient: 1 oz. For cats, 2 oz. For small dogs, 3 oz. For medium dogs, 4 oz. For large dogs.
Animals In Heat: Your pet's affectionate (and sometimes annoying) actions are demands for attention, so give them more than usual. The strong smell Vicks® VapoRub ointment may help keep roaming males away: rub a little in the fur of the tail on females and above the nose on males. Keep the windows closed; a male cat can smell a female in heat a mile away, while a dog's range is about three miles. Get your pet spayed/neutered.
Arthritis: For overweight pets, losing weight will help lighten the load on those achy joints. A 20 minute walk several times a day can reduce the progression of arthritis. If it's cold outside, let them sleep inside. Make sure they are provided with soft bedding to reduce discomfort. Moist heat applied for 20 minutes twice a day can be a great comfort.
Asthma: Keep pets with asthma free of excess weight; overweight animals have a harder time breathing. Use a humidifier; dry air irritates the airway. If you, the owner, smokes, stop! Keep them indoors during pollen season. For cats, use a dust-free kitty litter.
Bad Breath: A foul odor coming from your pet's mouth is a sign of plaque. Prevent this by brushing your pets teeth, feeding them a raw turkey neck or raw carrots; don't feed them canned food or table scraps, and get them a rope to play with. Your vet can also thoroughly clean your pet's teeth.
Broken Bones: Immobilize your pet while holding him still and place him on a board, car floor mat, or a folded blanket. Do not attempt to bandage or splint broken limbs as you can cause more damage. Take your pet to the vet immediately.
Car Sickness: Most animals travel best on an empty stomach, so pick up their food 6-8 hours before travel. However, some pets prefer to have a small amount of food in their stomachs. See what works best for your animal. Other ways to reduce sickness includes letting them sit in the front seat, allowing them to look out the windows, and cracking the windows to allow fresh air to flow inside the vehicle.
Cat in a Tree: Cats will more than likely come down on their own. Leave them alone to make their way down. Give them an entire day to do so. Tempt them with their favorite strong-smelling food. If the cat is injured, wearing a leash that could choke them, or hasn't come down in a day, you need to climb up and get them, whether up the tree itself, or with a ladder. Grab them by the skin on the back of the neck and make your first attempt at reaching them a good one - they may flee further up the tree. The Human Society may be able to assist you if you are not able to reach the cat yourself.
Choking: Open your pet's mouth to see if you can visualize the object and remove it. If you are unsuccessful, take your pet to the vet immediately. If your pet is not breathing and you can't find what's obstructing the air passage, try the Heimlich maneuver: Hold your pet against you and clasp your hand around his upper abdomen OR place your pet on their side, on the floor and put one of your hands on top of the other so that the bottom hand is just below the rib cage. Push or lift upward to dislodge the object.
Diarrhea: Ensure your pet is drinking enough fluids. In addition to their water bowl, a bowl of Gatorade® will further help. Stop feeding for 24 hours from the onset of the diarrhea. When your pet is ready to eat again, try 2 parts cooked white rice mixed with 1 part boiled hamburger or skinless white meat chicken, feeding small amounts every 4 hours for 2 days. Slowly introduce their regular food back into the diet. If the diarrhea doesn't subside, seek the advise of your veterinarian. It may be caused by intestinal parasites or something more serious.
Ear Mites: You can temporarily treat the ear mites by soaking a cotton ball with mineral oil and swabbing the ear canal. Then, seek the assistance of your veterinarian for treatment with Ivermectin.
Fever: Normal temperatures of cats and dogs ranges from 100.5 and 102.5 degrees. Sooth away the heat with a cool compress on their belly or a 10 minute cool bath. Ensure they are drinking enough water. Consult your vet, as fever can mean serious illness and/or infection.
Flatulence: Exercise helps move gas out of the system, so take them for a walk. Stop feeding table scraps and dairy foods and ensure they aren't getting into the trash. Check the soy content of your pet's food; high soy content causes gas. Many yogurts contain digestion-friendly bacteria that can help decrease flatulence. Give 1/4 tsp. plain yogurt to cats and small dogs, 1 tsp. to dogs 15-20 pounds, and 1 Tbls. to large dogs. Raise their food dish to eliminate air digested while eating.
Fleas: Though a preventative such as Advantage® , Frontline® , Revolution®, or K9 Advantix® is the best way to treat and prevent fleas, a diet including Brewer's Yeast and garlic prove to keep them away, as well. Flea collars, powders, and dips only work temporarily; don't consider them for long-term use or you'll find the fleas returning.
Getting Out Mats: Wet fur is more difficult to unmat, so keep them dry. Starting at the ends of the hairs and working inward, divide the mat in half with your fingers. Then divide the halves into quarters, the quarters into eighths and so on until all the clumps are gone. A light sprinkling of cornstarch makes stubborn mats easier to pull apart. For a particularly tough mat, clip the mat in half with scissors.
Hairballs: First try a commercial hairball lubricant or a tsp. of petroleum jelly. Sometimes, high-fiber diets accelerate the passage of hairballs. Keep fleas under control to reduce licking. Brush your cat often, then follow with wiping the coat with a moist towel to pick up any loose hairs.
Hot Spots: Dissolve 2 adult aspirins in 1 Tbls. rubbing alcohol. Steep 1 tea bag in 1 cup warm water; discard tea bag. Stir together aspirin mixture and tea; allow to cool. Shave hair around hot spot. Blot prepared mixture over spot with a cotton ball. Follow with over-the-counter cortisone spray or crème. Repeat as necessary.
Insect Bites and Stings: Remove stingers, if present. Dab a mixture of baking soda and water on the spot to help reduce discomfort. Milk of Magnesia and meat tenderizer works in the same way, as well.
Itchy Skin from Allergies: Give your pet a 10 minute cool bath to relieve itching. For further soothing, you may also add colloidal oatmeal (Aveeno®) to the bathwater. For dogs with itchy feet, fill the tub with enough cool water to cover their feet, dissolve a couple cups of Epsom salts in the water, and soak the dog's feet for 5-10 minutes. Be careful not to let them drink the water.
Kitty Litter: To keep cat litter fresh smelling, mix baby powder in with the litter.
Poisoning: Call your vet immediately and have on hand the substance your pet ingested. If your pet has gotten into pills, antifreeze, or other toxic substances (but not caustic substances) getting him to vomit will help eliminate some of the danger . If your pet has ingested something alkaline, such as cleaner or kerosene, don't induce vomiting. Give him about 3 tsp. vinegar or lemon juice diluted in an equal amount of water. If your pet has ingested something acid, maybe from chewing on a battery, give Milk of Magnesia, 1 tsp. per 5 Lbs. of pet.
Puppy Diarrhea/Dogs with Soft Stool: Plain canned pumpkin works well for puppies with diarrhea and adult dogs with soft stool. A few spoonfuls in their food will often stop it right away. The pumpkins adds fiber to the diet, therefore firming up the stools. It often works more completely and more quickly than Kaopectate® if your pet isn't ill from something else.
Reduce Anal Sac Problems: Stop feeding your pet table scraps. The fatty foods soften the stool, making the fluid more likely to build up.
Removing Burrs: Remove burrs in your pet's coat as soon as possible. Allowing their fur to get wet makes it worse, so keep them dry. Most burrs can be removed with your fingers or tweezers. For the more difficult ones, soak the area in vegetable oil to help slide them out.
Seizures: Dogs don't swallow their tongues, so don't put your hand in their mouth. Move furniture out of the way and try to keep the area as dark as possible. Gentle talking and stroking may help to shorten the length of the seizure. If the seizure lasts more than 10 minutes, take your pet to the vet immediately. If this is the first time your pet is having a seizure, take him to the vet for assessment.
Severe Bleeding: Place gauze over the wound and apply direct pressure using your hands for 5 minutes, recheck, and continue applying pressure until bleeding stops or you've reached the vet. Do not use a tourniquet, as they are dangerous. Cold packs over oozing wounds can help reduce swelling and bleeding. Take your pet to the vet immediately.
Skunk Spray: If your pet's eyes are watering, use an eye wash to flush out any irritating spray. Shampoo with a mixture of 1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, and 1 Tbls. liquid dish soap. Follow with a washing of regular pet shampoo.
Stop Bleeding from a Nail Trim: When you've cut a nail too short, stop the bleeding by pressing the nail in styptic powder or flour, then tap the powder in.
Urinary Infections: The common human remedy of cranberry, orange, and other citrus juices also work for pets in boosting the acidity of the urine and decreasing the amount of bacteria. A chewable vitamin C tablet a day will reduce the acidity to prevent further infections.
Pet Urine on Carpet: First, blot up what you can with paper towels. Then, with warm, soapy water and a clean cloth, blot the area clean; rinse with clean water; blot until dry. Next, combine 1/3 cup white vinegar with 2/3 cup water and dab it on stain; rinse with clean water; blot until dry. Once the area is totally dry (at least 24 hours), sprinkle entire carpet with baking soda or rug deodorizer; vacuum after a few hours.
Vomiting: Stop feeding your pet for 24 hours, only providing water. Afterwards, slowly introduce mild foods back into the diet over a 3 day time period, to include boiled hamburger, boiled chicken, cooked rice, and/or cottage cheese. If the vomiting continues after the first 24 hours or if there is bloating, consult your veterinarian immediately.
okie B
Legal Professional
Legal Professional

Re: How to Make Homemade DogFood

Postby Laurel_CrystalBeach » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:47 pm

I found this during a internet search....

How to Make Homemade Dog Food
By D. M. Du Pont

Back in the days before Iams or Purina, what did our grandparents feed their dogs? Table scraps mostly or their own recipes. There weren’t the hundreds of dog food varieties as there are now. After World War II, Gaines and Kennel Ration began with canned horse meat. Mostly as a way of getting rid of surplus horses and using up cans made for the war effort. It wasn’t until the 60’s and 70’s when dog food really come into its own.

The ironic trend is now going back to natural dog food. After the poisoned grain episode from China and the increasing cost of dog food, plus my last dog, Adam I adopted came with multiple bags of very expensive sensitive stomach dog food (he upchucked anyway). I decided I’d try my friend’s homemade dog food recipe she used.

With a degree in Animal Science, I decided to put my education to a practical use. So after several versions of the following recipe, here is the most balanced one. My dogs love it. My pup Adam went from 56 to 104 pounds and his liver functions have improved 100 points. This recipe is simple and versatile and far less expensive than canned food.

I call it the “Third Recipe”, because all the portions are in roughly thirds; Rice, Vegetables and Meat. Plus you should make more of everything every three days. Once you get into the routine, it is very easy and you’ll know what amounts you are regularly using.

Important point to remember is dogs are omnivores, not carnivores, which mean they eat all sorts of stuff, not just meat. So just feeding meat is a no no. Too much protein in their diet can make dogs hyper and overly aggressive. Too much protein isn’t good for their kidneys and they don’t get certain needed trace elements. People act like feeding dogs is an “exact” science now. However, it never was before and dogs did fine. So you really can’t make a mistake it you stick with the basics of this formula.

The “Third Recipe” for Dogs

• White rice boiled with a chicken bullion cube – carbohydrates for energy, easy digestion and bullion cube for favor. You can substitute potatoes occasionally.
• Vegetables - frozen or canned or fresh - green beans or peas/carrots or mixed vegetables – I prefer frozen over canned – and green beans are best. Easily digested and have fiber.
• Meat – chicken, turkey, tuna or beef or wild game or eggs
• Two half meals – morning and evening- and the cup portions depend on the size of your dog(s). All ingredients are roughly in thirds, but if you have an active dog, use more rice.

Rice
The most inexpensive way is to buy 25 to 50 pounds of rice is from Costco or similar retail outlet. Those little bags in the grocery store are quite pricey. I store rice in “Vittle Vaults” porthole screw top lid hard plastic dog food containers. Buy these storage units on Amazon.com, least expensive and free shipping and you use these for all sorts of bulk food storage.

You’ll need to make more rice every third day as it gets watery and becomes a great bacteria medium. You can use a rice cooker, which I don’t like to clean. Or make it from scratch in a stock pot. White rice recipe is usually 2 cups of water for every cup of rice.

If you are not used making rice, it takes a little effort at first. So for two big German shepherds, I make four –five cups of rice at a time - eight plus cups of water, bring to a boil with two boullion cubes and then add 4 cups of rice. I stir, then turn the water on to a slower boil and stir periodically to make sure the rice doesn’t stick. Making the rice is now so routine now that I get up during commercial breaks, stir and visually know once the rice is big and puffy to cover and take off the burner. I have an designated big stock pot and I know from experience to fill up to a certain point and add so many cups of rice and two bullion cubes. Brown rice is harder to digest, tastes like cardboard and the point of the white rice is carbs for energy and easy digestion.

Vegetables
Green beans are the best all around vegetable. Green beans are fibrous, full of nutrients and pulls particles through the digestive tract. I occasionally mix a bag of peas and carrots with a bag of green beans. Peas and carrots are a bit more sugary and not as much fiber. So as a veggie staple, don’t use all the time. Mixed vegetables, like corn and lima beans, aren’t broken down in the digestive tract and a waste of money. Shop around for the lowest frozen vegetables or seal-a-meal or can your own. Broccoli is fine if you are willing to perish from dog gas attacks.

Meat
You can use a variety of meats in this food. It depends what your dog will tolerate. Be careful not to rotate types of meat until you have a feel for what you dog can tolerate. I always cook the meat; in today’s world there is too much contamination to take a chance on causing a hemorrhagic intestinal bug. Cut or pull the meat into smaller portions for better digestion.

Eggs
Eggs are a very cheap and inexpensive protein. I hard boil the eggs and add one or two to the meal. You can fry or scramble if you want to spoil your pooches. Eggs and rice is what makes up that expensive ID (intestinal diet) dog food from the veterinarian.

Chicken - is great, it is easy to digest and inexpensive. I broil up a $5 pallet of 10 chicken thighs from Wal-Mart. Chicken thighs have lots of meat and only one bone to remove and I add one chicken thigh per meal serving for my German shepherds. When traveling I bring cheaper canned chicken breast to open and add. You can use gizzard and hearts as well. Livers are a bit fatty, but okay as a baked treat once in a while

Turkey is inexpensive. You can cook a turkey up when they are on sale, then package the meat into portions, freeze and take out as needed.

Tuna – I give this for only two meals a week. It is inexpensive if you buy the store brand and the oil/water is good for their coats. Too much processed ocean fish has mercury. So limit the amount. I don’t like fish oil capsules. Oil from what fish? Goldfish? Contains too much concentrated mercury. Natural fish is best.

Beef – Is harder for dogs to digest. When I make a stew or a soup, I crock pot up beef stew meat until tender and broken down. I make extra to add to the dog’s meal with a little juice. So if you insist on feeding beef, crock pot for tenderizing and easier digestion. Hamburger is fine in limited amounts and a little grease is good for their coats, but kind of pricey to feed regularly unless you have a little foo foo dog.

Wild Game– Feeding your dog, venison or other game is okay. Just make sure it is thoroughly cooked. You don’t want your pet to get sick from some weird intestinal bacteria. Some wild game is very rich and less is more with pets. Just make sure your pet can tolerate this meat to avoid diarrhea and other intestinal episodes.

Vitamins
You can supplement your dog’s nutrition with a daily over the pet counter vitamin. A money saving tip is to buy the senior dog vitamins. They contain twice as much vitamin per pill. So, buy the senior dog vitamins, break them in half and you get two vitamins for the price of one.

Tips
As in all things in life, balance is the key. Dogs don’t mind eating the same thing daily. Try not to give your dog gravy or lots of fatty food, as this can cause pancreatitis and could kill your pet. You’d be surprised during the holidays how many dogs come into the vet with pancreatitis from eating gravy and fatty foods.

You can make a giant batch of this food, put it into portions and freeze. I don’t blend this food in a blender, but just hand mix the ingredients or with a spoon in their bowl. Blending breaks down the natural structures and it loses some of it’s value. Eating a paste like substance can stick on the dog’s teeth and cause problems. I have mixed this food and to put into portions to freeze to take on a trip for limited use.

Dry Dog Food
I do have some dry crunchy kibble dog food out. I prefer Purina, mostly because they are an all American ingredient dog food and never had recalls from overseas tainting like Iams or other brands. Purina One chicken and rice is a good all around dry dog food. Old Roy is a suspect dog food made in China. Science Diet is mostly corn based and not as digestible. Friend with kennels call Science Diet the poop making food, since it all gets eliminated. Eukanuba is a very fatty dog food and should only be fed to active bird dogs or dog with similar energy burn levels.

Dog Treats
Dog biscuits are fine. I just give the Milk bone or Kirkland brand. Remember each treat has between 2-5 grams of fat. That is what is holding the biscuit together. Avoid those dyed fake “meaty” treats. They are full of dye and salt and fat. Some dogs like carrots or other raw veggies. Carrots have fiber but are also very sugary.

For three days with two meals a day, it costs me about 75 cents a day per dog on average. This is for the rice, green beans and chicken, even less with eggs or more with beef. Once you get into the routine, it is a very healthy and economical solution and better for your pet’s health.
Laurel_CrystalBeach

Postby kymber » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:56 pm

Okie and Laurel...i could FRENCH-kiss both of you - thank you sooo much! this is exactly the kind of info i have been looking for!!!!
kymber

Postby TheLight » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:35 pm

I wanted to name my SO's Rabbit "Stew" but she didn't take to kindly to it... :evil:

It's sad, but many pets were just turned loose during Katrina. There are apparently huge stray populations these days. Even after that, lots of folks don't realize that most shelters don't allow pets. You have to prep for them yourself. Both the ASPCA, Ready.gov and FEMA have suggestions for pet owners. FEMA also has two free online courses on the topic IS-10 Animals in Disaster, Module A: Awareness and Preparedness and IS-11 Animals in Disaster, Module B: Community Planning Animals in a Disaster. I haven't taken either of those courses, but other ones from FEMA have been pretty solid.

OP: Good find on that battery powered pump, but don't forget that you can scoop out some of the water in your tank and pour it back in from high up to re-oxygenate your tank's water. You'll have to do it fairly often, but it will work in a pinch.
"Where did I leave that clue-by-four?" -Me
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby kymber » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:07 pm

ugh. i hate to hear of all of those pets being turned loose during Katrina...kinda breaks my heart. especially since we were given "dominion"....

Muzhik - help me out here - someone once said something along the lines of "you can tell a lot about a country by the way they treat their animals..."

hmmmm?
kymber

Postby cityhomesteader » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:53 pm

Kymber,
Dominion meant that we were given responsibility for it. Like a good king has dominion over his people to govern rightly. A LOT of "Christians" think that it means that we can do to them whatever we like in any manor. At that time Adam and Eve had the ability to converse and socialize with animals. Sort of like Narnia "exactly where CS Lewis got the Idea for his books." And when that dominion was given to "Adam" he was in right standing with God, or as some would say, "before the fall". For when Mankind fell out of disobedience he gave the world over to Satan "the serpent" in the garden. When man kind began their punishment having been kicked out of the garden, God told the man that every thing was now out to kill him. God at that time made the first Animal sacrifice to clothe Adam and eve's nakedness. Only God could at that time kill. That even the ground would now fight him and he would have to work it by the sweat of his brow. BTW as a side line. Man kind did not eat meat until after the great flood. Before that he was a vegan. Interesting huh?
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader
Connecticut State Moderator
Connecticut State Moderator

Postby TheLight » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:20 pm

kymber wrote:ugh. i hate to hear of all of those pets being turned loose during Katrina...kinda breaks my heart. especially since we were given "dominion"....

Muzhik - help me out here - someone once said something along the lines of "you can tell a lot about a country by the way they treat their animals..."

hmmmm?

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man." Is attributed to Mahatma Gandhi.
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby jackiep35 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:56 pm

I have a cat and yes, I even prepared for him as well. Even if he is somewhat brain-dead.
"If you don't read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed."...Mark Twain.
jackiep35
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Redleg » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:00 pm

Concerning "How to make homemade dog food". Don't feed your dog the diet advocated by D. M. Du Pont. There is so much misinformation here as to be dangerous(canines are omnivores not carnivores, ect.) . Google "BARF" or "RAW" dog food. There are yahoo groups and dog breeder forums addressing the topic of optimum canine diet. There is reliable information out there-the above mentioned post is not.
Redleg

Postby TheLight » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:55 am

I found this to be a good read on dog diets and myths. http://www.rawfed.com/myths/
Still not 100% sold on the whole "raw" thing, though.
And that BARF diet seems to have some strange issues on the webpage for it. I have to look into it more.

TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Redleg » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Right after the Chinese pet food crisis I lost a 7 1/2yr old cat and my 8 yr old German Shepherd Dog developed breast cancer. That prompted me to switch to a good raw diet. BARF is actually a Reg. trade mark. It's one approach that's good, and it sells a lot of books. I feed raw most of the time-no special diet-just a variety of raw foods and supplements I know are good for them. Commercial dry is used at times for convenience sake. I am pretty picky about commercial. I have a good friend who breeds and trains working dogs and he uses only commercial dry. As long as you're aware of the specific dietary needs of your animal and make a reasonable effort to meet them you're going to have a healthy animal. As with most things, KISS works well-if you're aware.
Redleg

Postby kymber » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:10 pm

cityhomesteader wrote:Kymber,
Dominion meant that we were given responsibility for it. Like a good king has dominion over his people to govern rightly. A LOT of "Christians" think that it means that we can do to them whatever we like in any manor. At that time Adam and Eve had the ability to converse and socialize with animals. Sort of like Narnia "exactly where CS Lewis got the Idea for his books." And when that dominion was given to "Adam" he was in right standing with God, or as some would say, "before the fall". For when Mankind fell out of disobedience he gave the world over to Satan "the serpent" in the garden. When man kind began their punishment having been kicked out of the garden, God told the man that every thing was now out to kill him. God at that time made the first Animal sacrifice to clothe Adam and eve's nakedness. Only God could at that time kill. That even the ground would now fight him and he would have to work it by the sweat of his brow. BTW as a side line. Man kind did not eat meat until after the great flood. Before that he was a vegan. Interesting huh?

CityHomesteader - you just touched on something that i worried about for years. i had been raised reading the bible - there were a mish-mash of religions that i was exposed to when i was a young child(Mom was an ex-communicated Jehovah's Witness who still did Bible Study every Wednesday night, Dad was an athiest, i attended Salvation Army Sunday School, Brownies, Girl Guides, Junior and Senior Soldiers....all while going to a Catholic school studying catechism and communion but not being able to partake of my first communion...ugh). anyway - during my teens and early 20's i kept going back to the book of Genesis...i seriously thought about going vegan...Genesis seemed to imply that we were only to eat the green things that grew back? i struggled and struggled with the notion as i was a meat-eater.

then someone told me that man was not allowed and did not eat meat until after the flood. prior to that it was forbidden. i held on to that knowledge every time i enjoyed a piece of meat - with a guilty feeling attached to it. and i am blood type O negative and i actually have meat cravings. followed by guilt.

Cityhomesteader - i would love to continue this discussion in the Faith thread. because i recently met an amazing man who is helping me in my understanding of the Word. and he too says that prior to the flood mankind was vegan. i would love to discuss this with you more. you seem to have a lot of knowledge and understanding that i - and maybe others - could use.

if you accept my invitation for further discussion on this topic - start a new thread in the "Faith, General Discussion" forum and call it something like "Vegan before the Flood" or something that i will easily recognize. i would very much like to discuss this with you.

to everyone else - sorry to hijack your thread. but we will move this discussion to the Faith thread.

As you were (teehee).
kymber

Postby kymber » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:12 pm

TheLight wrote:
kymber wrote:ugh. i hate to hear of all of those pets being turned loose during Katrina...kinda breaks my heart. especially since we were given "dominion"....

hmmmm?

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man." Is attributed to Mahatma Gandhi.

Thank you TheLight....i knew there was a quote. by a wonderful person. thank you for finding it for me. (i guess there's really a reason behind your moniker eh?)
kymber

Next

Return to Urban/Suburban Survival