• Advertisement
Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Home-Made Hot Tub

Do-it-yourself and How To. Tips, plans and construction of things such as Root Cellars, Green houses, Dog houses, and more...

Moderator: mmpaints

Home-Made Hot Tub

Postby Golden Oldie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:51 pm

There wasn't any room in the budget for a hot tub so I did a little research and found these plans for building your own:

http://www.wcc.net/~jkmccoy/hottub/hottub.htm

"OK, so I could have started with a used hot tub. I know there are a lot out there. They aren't real common out here where I live. I'm not opposed to rebuilding a used item bought for a good price, but it really isn't as satisfying as building something from the ground up. So I started looking for information. How do you build a hot tub? Remarkably there is very little information on the internet. There is a story about someone who built a hot tub from an inflatable kiddy pool and a coffee machine for $35. The Solar Biz, and Island Hot Tub Company have some good information about using plastic stock tanks to build soaking tubs. There are people on Ebay advertising plans to "build your own hot tub." I don't know if they are really worth anything, but I hate paying someone for what should be free information. There's one website advertising plans to build a hot tub, obviously using a plastic stock tank, but doesn't say much about the plans. Another site has some information about a home made hot tub and options for heating it, but it looks like just a soaking tank. I didn't want just a tank of hot water to soak in. I wanted a real spa. I want a filter so I don't have to drain and refill the tub every few days. I want a heater and a thermostat so it stays hot all the time and it's always ready. I want jets and bubbles so I can sit in swirling, massaging hot water. I want a cute blonde in a bikini in the hot tub with me..."

Hubby and a friend with some machinist experience are going to tackle this project, without the blonde, LOL. I'm looking for any feedback or tips from other machinists and do-it-yourselfers out there... :)
The values of modern society are all the proof I need that I should have been born a couple hundred years ago.
Golden Oldie
Washington Preppers Network

Re: Home-Made Hot Tub

Postby Golden Oldie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:40 pm

And I'm tempted to choose an off-grid creation instead, even though I'd have to plan ahead for a soak by building a fire...

http://timberbuttehomestead.com/?tag=homemade-projects

The values of modern society are all the proof I need that I should have been born a couple hundred years ago.
Golden Oldie

Postby HandLoad » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:03 pm

That Pic suggests AT LEAST Two Great Uses! Brick Oven for Cooking! And Hot tub! A Nice Length of Copper Tubing Brazed in a Coil around the stack of the Oven would make a natural Thermo-Siphon (No Pump Required) to heat the Spa! Then, With a Solar-Powered Battery fed Trolling Motor (with Ducted Prop - Guarded of course) would make a Hydrotherapy System! Want Bubbles? Add a Compressor. Looks like Fun!
HandLoad

Postby Golden Oldie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:05 pm

For those interested in building the stock-tank hot tub, here's a link on how to construct a hot tub cover for it with a materials list given:

http://chrismaeder.ca/building/homemade ... under-100/
Golden Oldie

Postby Hounds 51 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:26 pm

I have been lookin for an old cast iron tub that I could put a couple of large rocks or blocks under. Then put this at my hand well pump discharge and fill with water, then build a fire underneath. That's my idea of a SHTF bath.
Practical but not glamorus. :agree:
Hounds 51

Postby Hounds 51 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:08 pm

Has anyone ever used a stock tank for a bath tub?
If so what would be the ideal size?
:tank:
Hounds 51

Postby arkieready » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:28 pm

i have a 6 foot diameter, 30 inch tall (+/-) galvanized stock tank. we fill it from the well, takes a day to warm up enough to not take your breath away. i dont bathe IN it. too much water to change. we bathe outside & then rinse before getting in. the sun makes it pretty warm in summer. heating it in cooler weather shouldnt be complicated. oh yeah, we used a small pool filter to keep it clean.
6' allows me free floating room; dh can almost stretch out. really nice to take a (skinny dip) before bed on a hot evening!!! i reckon a heated on would be nice on a coolevening
P!

Proverbs 21:20 There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Rabid » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:28 am

Hounds 51 wrote:Has anyone ever used a stock tank for a bath tub?
If so what would be the ideal size?
:tank:

I used one once on a visit to a friends cabin. Check these out for size.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... tock+tanks
DAMMIT IM MAD spelled backwards is DAMMIT IM MAD
Rabid

Return to DIY and How-To