• Advertisement

Neighbourhood foraging

How-To and tips on foraging in urban areas

Re: Neighbourhood foraging

Postby cityhomesteader » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:25 am

mrduke wrote:guys, i glad your all getting in to knowing your surounding, it,s a worthy thing to know, however don,t fall in to the, i can live off the land bit, it,s not that you can,t , but most people learn a few plants, and feel real good about themselfs as thay should, but thats as far as thay learn, the problem with most wild plants is that thay are realy healthy with all kinds of minerals and vitamens just like a good salid, however there isnt a good calories in a bushel of the stuff, survival means staying alive , which means ,calories,fat ,energy, without these things you will soon die, so while your studying , dandelion,lambs quarter,and plantain, also study, the mighty acorn,cattails, and of corse any edible nuts and barry in your area, these are the things that will keep you alive, please don,t think im saying not to study the other plants as well, just to thank beond them

good post!! So totally agree!
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader
Connecticut State Moderator

Postby Cag3db1rd » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Thank you, Mr. Duke for bringing that up. I appreciate being reminded of things. My area also has:

Acorns
Pecans
Hickory
Walnut
Persimmon
And, thanks to this having been farmland for many generations before this neighborhood came, and also some old-timers having put in fruit trees, there are apples, apricots, pears, and peaches.
http://paganpreppers.webs.com - It's only natural.

http://www.cafepress.com/personalriot - T-Shirts for TEOTWAWKI
Cag3db1rd
Oklahoma Preppers Network
Oklahoma Preppers Network

Postby PeachOnEarth » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:48 pm

on our property ( or neighbors ) we have
Domesticated:
Pecans,Walnuts,Hickory,acorns
Apples, Pears, Peaches, Cherries
Roses, Sunchokes, Mints, Herbs ( all kinds ), violets, Aloe, prickly pear
Asparagus, leeks, onions, Garlic
Wild:
possum grapes, passion fruit , blackberries, strawberries, elderberry
dandelion, purslain, chickweed, milk weed, mullein, poke salad, thistle, Burdock, Chicory Echinacea, Goldenseal, golden rod, solomon seal, Butterfly weed, yarrow
willow bark, pine, birch,oak

Not all of those are edible, a lot are medicinal to be used as tinctures, tonics, poultices, etc.
There are tons more!
I have a wildflower book just for the state of Arkansas...
Rodales Herb Book
and my fave... is "An Illustrated Guide to Herbs" by Anna Kruger.
"Earth Laughs In Flowers" Raph Waldo Emerson

"What we have loved, others will love, and we will teach them how." William Wordsworth

"Growing your own food is like printing your own money." - Ron Finley
PeachOnEarth
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:19 pm

Since this thread was started, we moved across the country, so what I have available has changed.

In my yard, I have apple, peach, plum, nectarine, olive, pecan, lemon, lime, grapefruit, mandarin, orange, and pineapple guava trees, pomegranate, elderberry, blackberry, and boysenberry bushes, and grape and kiwi vines, and a prickly pear cactus (I planted everything EXCEPT the peach tree, which was already here). Also have rugosa roses, tea and coffee shrubs on order. Also have a good-sized vegetable and herb garden.

Around the area, there are a LOT of mesquite trees and prickly pear, which can supplement what I already grow. There are also dandelions (mutilple uses) and purslain.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby cityhomesteader » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:51 pm

IceFire wrote:Since this thread was started, we moved across the country, so what I have available has changed.

In my yard, I have apple, peach, plum, nectarine, olive, pecan, lemon, lime, grapefruit, mandarin, orange, and pineapple guava trees, pomegranate, elderberry, blackberry, and boysenberry bushes, and grape and kiwi vines, and a prickly pear cactus (I planted everything EXCEPT the peach tree, which was already here). Also have rugosa roses, tea and coffee shrubs on order. Also have a good-sized vegetable and herb garden.

Around the area, there are a LOT of mesquite trees and prickly pear, which can supplement what I already grow. There are also dandelions (mutilple uses) and purslain.

wow!!! are you harvesting all these (c: ? what is a boysenberry??? all of it sounds great to me...
Cityhomesteader
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
cityhomesteader

Postby IceFire » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:44 pm

cityhomesteader wrote:
IceFire wrote:Since this thread was started, we moved across the country, so what I have available has changed.

wow!!! are you harvesting all these (c: ? what is a boysenberry??? all of it sounds great to me...

I've gone out and foraged mesquite beans...got them dried and taken to the community "milling day" at the farmer's market, and ground into mesquite flour. Cost me $1 to get them ground, and I ended up with a pound and a half of flour (mesquite flour sells for about $15-$18 per pound so the savings was enourmous!) Haven't harvested the other fruits yet, except for some peaches and 1 lime, because I just got everything planted July-October. DO look forward to getting the goodies off of my plants though. (and my crazy apple tree has decided that NOW is the time to start blooming...????)

A boysenberry is also known as "trailing blackberry". It's in the blackberry family...actually a cross between blackberry, loganberry, and raspberry that was invented in the 1920's by a man named Rober Boysen (hence the name). They are more known in California (originated in Napa, where I grew up) than elsewhere. The flavor is a bit more on the tart side, but they make wonderful jams and syrups.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby cityhomesteader » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:40 pm

Icefire,
Never even knew Mesquite could be made into a flour.. LOL makes me wonder now if the honey locust beans can be???

Good luck with all your plantings..Hope you have a long and happy life with them (c:
Cityhomesteader
cityhomesteader

Postby IceFire » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:16 pm

Yes, mesquite beens make a tasty flour...they have a slightly sweet taste. Only thing is that they have NO gluten in them, so you need to use 1/2 regular flour, or the mesquite products will not hold together...they'll crumble. I THINK that the honey locust beans are edible, but DON'T confuse them with Black Locust beans....I believe those are quite toxic.

Thanks...I plan on having these plants for a LONG time. They're part of my "SHTF plan" for keeping us fed. (Good barter goods, too....what would people give for some fresh fruit?)
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby kappydell » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:10 pm

edible ones: lambs-quarter, dandelion, wild mustard, dock, nettles, daylily buds, dahlia bulbs, amaranth greens, I think ornamental kale is cheating!
medicinal ones: plantain (sinus), chickweed (wound ointment), yarrow (for colds - WOW), highbush cranberry (bark for cramps), motherwort (blood pressure), ground ivy (blood cleanser but tastes icky)
Oops, too many....
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby kappydell » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:14 pm

edibles: lambs quarters, dandelion, wild mustard, dahlia bulbs, daylily buds
medicinals: plantain (sinuses, salve), chickweed (salve), yarrow (colds - WOW), highbush cranberry (bark for cramps), motherwort (high blood pressure)

I have to control myself when walking around the local parks - they do not recognize foraging as 'normal'!
kappydell

Postby ShinigamiGurl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:03 pm

I eat dandelions by the /pound./ And i can get free thyme growing like crazy in my area. It just goes nuts. and during the summer I'll pick a shamrock plant and just bite the leaves off for a snack. *drools* it tastes like lemons!
@doing working on setting up my new computer, installing drivers, antivirus, and other programs.
ShinigamiGurl

Postby kappydell » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:36 pm

ShinigamiGurl wrote:I eat dandelions by the /pound./ And i can get free thyme growing like crazy in my area. It just goes nuts. and during the summer I'll pick a shamrock plant and just bite the leaves off for a snack. *drools* it tastes like lemons!

So does purslane (odd texture, though)!
kappydell

Postby ShinigamiGurl » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:00 am

I should probably avoid purslane then, its not the flavor of something so much as the texture that always gets me. So if its got an unusual texture, it might be a good idea to stick to basics.

All of Icefire's growings make me huuuuungggryyy.
@doing working on setting up my new computer, installing drivers, antivirus, and other programs.
ShinigamiGurl

Postby EdwardTeach » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:02 am

All great Ideas.
EdwardTeach

Postby readlorey » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:27 pm

I grow herbs all the time so that would be an easy thing for me to find. LOL and dandelions make a good tea for your health. I love catnip tea....makes me giggle and the plant is very pretty.
There may be bloodshed...just saying!
readlorey

PreviousNext

Return to Urban Foraging