• Advertisement

Anti-Biotics

Our Panel of Medical Experts answers questions concerning disaster, pandemic and wilderness medicine

Moderators: TheSurvivalDoctor, littledoc, DrBones

Anti-Biotics

Postby jeffsilver777 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:08 pm

I was hoping that some of you might be able to share your thoughts on anti-biotics that you can buy from amazon like 'Amoxfin', which technically is for treating bacterial infections in fish. Some say that it is basically the same thing as the pills you would get at the pharmacy.

In a disaster situation, when there are no pharmacies to go to...could these be used with some positive effect in treating bacterial infections [in humans]?

Thanks,

Jeff
jeffsilver777

Re: Anti-Biotics

Postby rickdun » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:26 pm

Yes, fish anti-biotics can be used in an emergency situation, when medical help cannot be found. But, you need to read up on the doseages and what they are used for. I have purchased fish anti-biotics, amoxicillin, ciprofloxacin, ampicillin, clindamycin, metronidazole, sulfa drugs and others.

A good book to invest in is the survival medicine handbook, it's advertised on this website, very good book. Also you can ask questions to doctor bones and nurse amy (doom and bloom medical). Check the board index. Good luck.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:45 pm

Be careful with the Cipro. Really, really nasty chit. Many dr's are now rethinking this medication.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby rickdun » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:05 pm

Blondie wrote:Be careful with the Cipro. Really, really nasty chit. Many dr's are now rethinking this medication.

Ya, I know, I asked my doctor at the VA about it and she doesn't recommend it unless it's a last resort. So, I'll keep it instead of throwing it out.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:22 pm

We have a whole section on antibiotics on the forum. -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby jean11 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:02 pm

I have been stocking and storing these antibiotics for 5 years. They are indeed the same antibiotics you'd buy from a pharmacy. I've used them a number of times for myself, hubby and our dog Scotty. Scotty at times comes down with Kennel Cough, and other times a bacterial skin infection. Our Vet put him on Keflex 250mg (a childs dose), 2 pills a day for 10 days. The pills did the job, plus now I don't pay for a visit to the vet, or his expensive antibiotics. However, should we become sick with something I'm not familiar with I'd see our Doctor.
jean11

Return to Medical Experts