• Advertisement

POTASSIUM IODIDE TABLETS

Our Panel of Medical Experts answers questions concerning disaster, pandemic and wilderness medicine

Moderators: TheSurvivalDoctor, littledoc, DrBones

POTASSIUM IODIDE TABLETS

Postby mkcr5921 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:54 pm

My family all has their own 10 day supply of Potassium Iodide tablets which, if taken at the proper time, may prevent thyroid cancer in the event of a nuclear attack.

My question is, how does the State's Public Health Dept notify citizens of when to take the tablet? I can't find any information about this on the web. Would it be by radio announcement? How are other states prepared for giving out this information? Instructions on the box say to not take them until notified by public health officials.

Thanks for any info you may have on this.
mkcr5921

Re: POTASSIUM IODIDE TABLETS

Postby daaswampman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:17 pm

It is a Catch-22. There will not be any official announcements. Imagine the panic such an announcement would cause! No government official would cause a riot right now, to prevent some cancer deaths in the distant future. Educate yourself and know when to take action. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:45 am

My non-expert opinion on when to begin popping KI and there's no announcement specific to KI:

1. If you live within 50 miles of a nuclear facility incident and they tell you to evacuate and you can't.

2. Grid down, within 50 miles or downwind of nuclear plant, after X days.

For both scenarios a Geiger counter, dosimeter, or exposure rad stickers might be something you want to explore; with any radiation uptick a trigger to begin the KI.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Fullmoon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:04 am

Get familiar with seasonal wind patterns in your area. If you are down wind of any major cities or military bases that may be a target it might be wise to have a plan to bug out of the radiation zone as wind will carry radiation many miles. Most average people don't have a fallout shelter or enough food and water stockpiled to remain in place until radiation particles become non lethal. I agree that you will hear nothing from any health dept officials so you must use your own common sense to decide when to pop that potassium.
Fullmoon

Postby Drakenstead1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:10 pm

Interesting post and responses. This is a subject that could bear a lot more discussion and a lot more information on this forum. Knowledge is likely to be a real life saver as nuke plants are all over the place. Most frightening is the fact that they are all run under US Government supervision & management. If that does not scare you then I submit that you are not paying attention.

That being said as I live an approximate 20 miles from a nuclear power plant I have researched it fairly well. The first thing I noticed is that this plant is located on an Indian Reservation. Historically Native People have been considered at best expendable and at worst a "throw away" embarrassment. They are supposed to be extinct which to many is unsettling. Personally I enjoy seeing government operatives uncomfortable almost as much as I love to see "social justice" types exposed for the bigots that they are. Long live the tribes. May they be a thorn in the side of the smugs forever!!!!

If I lived within a 10 mile radius of this plant I would be on a list for notification and would be issued items that might aid in survivability. Among them would be a supply of potassium iodide. We would also be on an evacuation list and would be aided in a "bugout" situation. Since I live out side the radius it falls on me to make my own plans & set aside a supply of necessary items. Even though we all know that radiation would NEVER cross a line on a map set by government functionaries being afraid of their awesome and god like power we still think it prudent to prepare, formulate our contingency plans and cultivate our own sources of information.

We have friends who monitor the situation for which we are thankful. Our forethought was shown to be useful a couple of years ago when we saw a notice in a local news source that informed us that the plant experienced a radiation leak that had been locked down and from which the public was "never in any danger". By the by the leak announced had taken place a month earlier. It was a comfort to know that we were "never in any danger" but we knew a few minutes after the leak and implemented our plans for our own safety. When I was 10 years old my Dad gave me the gift of direction. "Never Never trust anything the government tells you. They lie just for practice. If they tell you the sun is shining stick your head out the window and see for your self". I've lived by this advice for 60 some years and would submit that it's one of the best bits of advice I ever got.
Drakenstead1

Postby mkcr5921 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:13 am

:wave: Interesting and thoughtful comments from everyone. Thank you. I searched long for more info on this and still can't find any info about public information dissemination. I even went so far as to call the Dept of health and they had no clue...our tax dollars at work! We are really on our own if and when the stuff hits the fan.

Our island has the Pacific Missile Range Facility where the Aegis Ashore system is used for testing our capability to knock out incoming missiles but it isn't currently set up to actively take out targets. I don't know if we would ever be a direct target, but it is reassuring to know that Aegis could be made ready fairly quickly, or so we've been told. There's a lot of activity at the base right now-all very secret. I hope they are doing something to protect us.

We are busily growing food, storing and canning food and setting up a water catch system just in case our food supply is cut off because, you know, no sea containers-no food-no nothing coming in. With the little fat dude rattling sabres all the time it makes me very nervous. Now I kind of understand how my parents must have felt during the Cuban missile crisis.

According to a government website I visited there are only a couple bands of potassium iodide tablets that they fully endorse. One of them is called Iostat, manufactured by Anbex, and it's available on Amazon. Not terribly expensive. Regardless of the cost, to me, it is just cheap insurance.
mkcr5921

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:39 am

We had a leak here in 2012 and the reactor was decommissioned.... They were alerting the public back then(It was thru the media but residents in a 10 mile range were all contacted personally on what to watch out for and how they would be notified....Think that was thru reverse-911 if I remember correctly)

Now, Edison is responsible for notification within 30 min to both counties here(Orange and San Diego) if any issues arise with the dry storage for the waste onsite of the decommissioned reactor. Tablets were issued directly to residents.
Vague story here...http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/watchdog/

Instructions here....http://san-clemente.org/home/showdocument?id=1860

I have IOSAT for my family(And a few random lucky winners of my choosing should anything ever occur ;) Could you imagine the panic/riots at the public distribution points?)....You should already be fully aware how to prep a solution for small children in advance if you have any.

Here's the Q&A from the NRC...(Men in black...lol)....https://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/emerg-preparedness/about-emerg-preparedness/potassium-iodide/ki-faq.html

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby NJMike » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:31 pm

My tablets are the IOSAT as well.

Since you mentioned tablets issued to residents, something else I can add anecdotally. I know of at least one NJ shore town near a reactor where the schools have the Potassium Iodide. At the start of the school year, the parents have to fill out a permission slip for the school to dispense this to the students.

Tablets are not provided to the parents or issued to residents otherwise. It is an assumption that the school actually has the tablets stored. It's also possible that they are getting permission in advance of a lock down scenario and would instead get supplied by first responders.
NJMike

Postby mkcr5921 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:07 am

We just purchased our third set of Iostat potassium iodide tablets for the family. Since Saturday's terrifying episode, we realized (better late than never, I guess) that we need to have the tablets with us wherever we are. Lots of folks were stuck in traffic, at work, at the beach, etc and so we decided we should have these tablets with us at all times. We have a set in our go bag, at home, and at our office. And if I can scrape together the funds to build a below ground shelter I'll feel a bit less terrified. Pills and preps are great but if you have no shelter the chances of survival aren't great. We were at home having morning coffee when the false missile threat came to our phones, and we knew that if we only had another 12 minutes before the missile hit we didn't have a snowballs chance in hell of surviving without a below ground shelter. I'll never forget that feeling of "this is it, my life is over". It was such a beautiful day - warm, sunny, nice trade winds--it was so hard to believe it would all be gone in a few minutes. I never want to go through this again.

If you have your tablets already be sure to store them in an air tight container, label with the expiration date, and make sure everyone in your family knows where they are and can easily access them.
mkcr5921

Postby NJMike » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:46 am

To add to the storage points, I forgot to mention in my previous posts I'd read some time ago that the tablets last longer stored in cold vs. heat (like many medications and tablets). I keep my home supply in the freezer to extend the shelf life.

Also, if you find yourself away from your tablets or there aren't enough to share, tincture of iodine or Betadine can be used on the skin. Some info on that here:
http://www.migrelief.com/an-iodine-alte ... ion-levels

People need to read proper safety information on these products though. I recall an episode of the Jericho series where they had someone drink a bottle of iodine after fallout exposure, but in reality that would have been very poisonous. If someone saw that TV show, I hope they looked into it a bit more.
NJMike

Postby Matte » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:10 am

I don't work in Emergency Management but FWIW, there might not be any official statement until state/local emergency management had acquired KI (if they didn't already have it) from the Strategic National Stockpile maintained by the CDC, and setup locations to dispense it to the public. Or at least that's what you might take away after reading this. It is from 2014 however, but still an interesting read even if it's dated and only bullet points. In that doc it says they prioritized re-adding KI for FY 2016, but according to this it was only for "modest quantities". There are Strategic National Stockpile Push Packages of medical supplies prepositioned around the country that can be delivered anywhere in the US within 12-hours, and considering the distance/flight times to Hawaii it seems likely they have them prepositioned there already. But along Swampman's line of reasoning, the CDC/EM may be hesitant to release a message that basically stated, "Take KI tablets now if you have them. If you don't have any, dispensing stations are currently being setup - standby for further announcements".

On KI expiration dates/shelf life, some good news here: https://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/emerg-pre ... #kiexpired

Looks like NJMike already posted about this while I was typing, but on topical iodine: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4066341

The link only has the abstract from the study, but here's some quotes from the full text:

The results of this study clearly indicate that in the rat topical application of I-containing compounds, if administered immediately post-exposure, are as effective as oral administration of potassium iodide in blocking thyroid uptake of radioiodine. While serum levels of I were not measured in the present study, preliminary data from our laboratory using dogs with similar areas of I application suggest that serum iodine concentrations rise to more than 20 mg/dl in less than 2 hr post-application. Blum and Eisenbud have reported that a serum iodide concentration in excess of 5 mg/dl is required in man to achieve the same degree of thyroid I uptake blocking as was seen in rats in this study (B167). It is reasonable to assume, therefore, that the serum iodide levels in the rats in this study met or exceeded 5 mg/dl.

/.../

Enough evidence now exists, however, to suggest that there is some similarity between animals and man in their ability to absorb I across the skin. Boe and Wereide, for example, have shown that application of an I-containing compound Iodochlorohydroxyquinoline) to a 450 cm2 area of intact human skin on the thigh, under an occlusive dressing will result in elevations in the serum protein-bound I concentration as high as 16 mg/dl (Bo70). The 450 cm2 area of application represents roughly 2.5% of the total body surface area (St67) and is approximately equal to the surface area of a single adult human hand.

/.../

While it is not possible to make recommendations regarding human therapy and prophy- laxis based on animal studies, the results of this study suggest that topical application of I-containing compounds may prove to be a reasonable method of blocking thyroid uptake of radioiodine in man and deserves further study.

So topical application of Betadine to an area roughly the size of the patients hand (or paw) may be as effective as oral KI both in concentration and absorption time. I keep a small (2 ounce, 5-hour energy drink type) bottle of Betadine in all our first-aid kits, mostly as an antiseptic but also for radioiodine protection and as a secondary means of water purification.
Matte

Postby John Galt 1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:33 pm

mkcr5921 wrote:My question is, how does the State's Public Health Dept notify citizens of when to take the tablet? .

I doubt that the CDC would tell you to take the tablet, instead they would probably tell everying to shelter in place, even people who aren't in the fallout plume. Having a geiger counter like this one
https://www.amazon.com/RADEX-RD1503-Dos ... er+counter
will alert you about radiation in your area. It would also allow you to check food, people, and animals for radiation too.

From what I understand the model listed in this post is still sometimes carried by people in Japan when they go shopping for ocean fish to determine if the fish is radiocative from the Fukusima Nuke plant accident back when that big tsunammi hit in 2011. We have one in an EMP bag and I tested it on a friend who had a mildly radioactive dye put in him and the meter worked well.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby IceFire » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:46 pm

I bought a rad detector and Iosat tablets when we lived in PA and too close to a nuke plant for my liking, given wind direction. And yes, I keep mine in the freezer to extend the shelf life.

Where we live now, we are several hundred miles to the south and east from the nearest facility, and the winds here blow from the south, so not too worried, plus we're in a rural area...still keep the Iosat stocked, though...just in case.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Medical Experts