• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

Are Raccoons safe to eat

Our Panel of Medical Experts answers questions concerning disaster, pandemic and wilderness medicine

Moderators: DrBones, TheSurvivalDoctor, littledoc

Are Raccoons safe to eat

Postby longrifle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew if Raccoons were safe to eat? If things get bad I will be in rural central Wisconsin and only like hunting after a good killing frost so it will be almost exclusively winter hunting and then canning for the warmer months. These are not dump animals but ones shot or trapped out of the woods. I have read articles stating that they are safe to eat and then another saying that they are not, does anyone know for sure>
" The only thing required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." -Thomas Paine

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.'

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
longrifle

Re: Are Raccoons safe to eat

Postby Defcon09 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:26 pm

longrifle wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew if Raccoons were safe to eat? If things get bad I will be in rural central Wisconsin and only like hunting after a good killing frost so it will be almost exclusively winter hunting and then canning for the warmer months. These are not dump animals but ones shot or trapped out of the woods. I have read articles stating that they are safe to eat and then another saying that they are not, does anyone know for sure>

Yes they are. I remember as a kid eating racoons on the farm. My father would soak the meat in a vinegar solution and it was great. Also, young groundhogs are edible when prepared that way.
Defcon09

Postby oldasrocks » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:28 pm

They're REALLY good smoked.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:35 pm

If the animal is healthy then it is safe to eat. Any animal can carry disease, should be properly handled and discarded if it appears sick. My greater concern is for your safety. If you do not know if a coon is safe to eat, are you going to know how to safely butcher it, prepare it, or know what a healthy animal looks like? Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby longrifle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:40 pm

I have eaten just about everything in my part of the country and never had a problem. (Deep fried turtle is excellent) I used to help a old neighbor trap about 30 years ago and everything that wasn't sick looking or a skunk went into the pot. There was no care if it was safe just that it wasn't dead for too long. If things get really bad I figure everyone will be going after deer, the population will down down in a hurry, but I can set out a couple dozen traps, and have a fairly steady source of meat.

If the animal is healthy then it is safe to eat. Any animal can carry disease, should be properly handled and discarded if it appears sick. My greater concern is for your safety. If you do not know if a coon is safe to eat, are you going to know how to safely butcher it, prepare it, or know what a healthy animal looks like? Swamp

I know what a healthy animal looks like, and how to care for and butcher them properly. I was also raised with lead paint, no seatbelts, bicycle helmets, and half the students bringing guns to school durning hunting season. I live through all of that with no really wierd effects, but with all of the new diseases and junk going around, I have no idea what is safe to eat anymore.
" The only thing required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." -Thomas Paine

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.'

longrifle

Postby Buzz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Do you have possum up there? Folks down here in Ga used to live catch them and put them in a cage and fatten them up with table scraps for a few months before slaughtering them. I've heard that they considered them much more tasty than coons. I've been thinking of trying that some day in the not too distant future.

Buzz
Buzz

Postby longrifle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:57 pm

We have them by the ton and with our colder climate you do not need to fatten them up too much, and the make some of the best biscuits and gravy that I have ever had.

longrifle

Postby 2020_Okie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:01 pm

in the words of Crocodile" Dundee... "you can live off it but they taste like sh!$t"!.... very greasy animal.
2020_Okie
Oklahoma Preppers Network
Oklahoma Preppers Network

Postby oldasrocks » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:09 pm

Possums are NASTY!!!!
oldasrocks

Postby mintbird » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Barbarosa posted this about raccoons. I believe he's a vet tech:

"2- I posted about this disease in another thread but it is very important. Raccoons should be avoided at all costs. Many of them carry a deadly roundworm called Baylisascaris. Baylisascaris is a roundworm that knows to migrate (or in worm speak 'migran') towards the brain. They can penetrate the blood brain barrier and are close to 100% fatal in humans. The baylisascaris egg is so strong that heat is not even guaranteed to kill it. If you must eat raccoon I would pressure cook it first. This, however, is not a guarantee."
P!

No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission
mintbird

Postby oldasrocks » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:12 am

How widespread is this disease?
oldasrocks

Postby mintbird » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:30 am

oldasrocks wrote:How widespread is this disease?

I'm not sure but I did a google search and found this link:
http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/baylisasca ... /faqs.html

You can search for "Baylisascaris"
P!

No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission
mintbird

Postby daaswampman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:31 am

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/baylisascaris/epi.html

The above website will give you more details. Fewer than 25 cases of Baylisascaris disease in humans have been documented in the United States. Baylisascaris is a genus of roundworms that infest more than fifty animal species. With over fifty species having the infection and only 25 documented cases in the United States - it would appear the risk is minimal if proper precautions are taken. Swamp
daaswampman

Postby SurvivIt » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:51 am

Be VERY careful when cleaning an animal that the intestine is not ruptured; no digestive tract materials should be allowed to touch any meat at all.

After butchering, all meat should be washed THOROUGHLY

When cooking any game meat, like raccoon, RARE and MEDIUM RARE shouldn't be on the menu.

Other than that, you shouldn't have any issues with eating just about anything with fur or feathers or even scales that's out in the woods. It might not be on the normal scale for social acceptability, but just about all creatures are edible.
SurvivIt
APN Sponsor Member
APN Sponsor Member

Postby oldasrocks » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:35 am

Thanks Swamp. that's pretty rare and not a big worry. More people probably get sick eating fast food. Or maybe only 25 people ate raccoon? An old cousin of mine-dead for about 50 yrs-- fed us a little of everything. It was all good. Coon, muskrat, beaver, and who knows what else.
oldasrocks

Next

Return to Medical Experts