• Advertisement

disposable lighters

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

disposable lighters

Postby powertechms » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Just a thought about those handy little fire starters that tend to get thrown away when empty, I personally have found that the fluid runs out far in advance of the flint. What I have begun doing is using the striker to convert the flints into a very effective fire powder. I hold the dead lighter over a small container ( altoids tin, skoal can etc. ) and by slowly turning the striker it grinds the flint into a fine flammable powder that can be mixed with other fine dry tinder or left as it is, a small pinch and a spark is all that is needed to set a tinder nest ablaze.
powertechms

Re: disposable lighters

Postby mmpaints » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:32 pm

or, just store bic brand lighters. 20 year shelf life and they don't leak.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby SurvivIt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:49 pm

Seems hard on yer thumbs...! I'm sorta with mmpaints on this one.

Probably makes a nice hot fire, though
SurvivIt

Postby Blackthorn-USA » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Better turn it really slowly cause as soon as you make one spark your tin full will go up in a flash of smoke. Buy a firesteel. If you really want a bag full of fire starting material, take a drill to one of those crappy magnesium bars and turn it into shavings. Just drill as many holes in it as you can and then put the shavings in a bag.
Blackthorn-USA
Outdoor Adventure School
Blackthorn-USA

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 am

SurvivIt wrote:Seems hard on yer thumbs...! I'm sorta with mmpaints on this one.

Probably makes a nice hot fire, though

Same here.
SC District 5

When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Blaundee » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:41 am

powertechms wrote:Just a thought about those handy little fire starters that tend to get thrown away when empty, I personally have found that the fluid runs out far in advance of the flint. What I have begun doing is using the striker to convert the flints into a very effective fire powder. I hold the dead lighter over a small container ( altoids tin, skoal can etc. ) and by slowly turning the striker it grinds the flint into a fine flammable powder that can be mixed with other fine dry tinder or left as it is, a small pinch and a spark is all that is needed to set a tinder nest ablaze.

I like that tip!!! THANKS!
Blaundee

Postby donba » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:41 pm

Put the flints in a small container. Then use in a zippo lighter, the last twice as long as a regular flint...
donba

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle