• Advertisement

Stuff you've made/gonna make from salvaged materials

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

Re: Stuff you've made/gonna make from salvaged materials

Postby kymber » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 pm

oh doucmpuppiespn...i am sooo jealous! but great for you friend!!!
kymber

Postby RatMan » Sun May 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Man,oh man! If I could just get my wife to see this thread! She gets on to me because I'm such a packrat. I can't throw anything away.

I've been kicking around ideas of making solar heaters out of scrap/salvaged items.
RatMan

Postby Vina8 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:27 pm

RatMan wrote:Man,oh man! If I could just get my wife to see this thread! She gets on to me because I'm such a packrat. I can't throw anything away.

I've been kicking around ideas of making solar heaters out of scrap/salvaged items.

LOL, RatMan! You probably are a packrat! My husband is, too. But now he has the excuse, "It could be useful someday when TSHTF."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby RatMan » Mon May 31, 2010 7:39 am

Vina8 wrote:
RatMan wrote:Man,oh man! If I could just get my wife to see this thread! She gets on to me because I'm such a packrat. I can't throw anything away.

LOL, RatMan! You probably are a packrat! My husband is, too. But now he has the excuse, "It could be useful someday when TSHTF."

My excuse was always, " ya just never know when ya need this"
RatMan

Postby Someguy » Mon May 31, 2010 8:32 am

One thing I do really isn't salvaged, because it never makes it to the trash. I keep the two liter soda bottles, fill them with water and put them in the freezer to fill in extra space. The freezer doesn't work as hard when it's full. In the event of a power failure, I don't have to run my generator as much to keep refer and freezer cool. In the event of a water issue, i just thaw out a bottle of ice. I treat all the water bottles with a bleach and water rinse and then fill.

I do have a salvage project. I picked up a stainless steel gas grill off the side of the road. I figured I could use the plumbing parts for spare. Then it occurred to me to use it to make a solar oven. I've planned it out in my head and maybe today, I'll get some something on paper. If anyone is interested, I'll take photos during the process and report my findings after it's complete. I do need an idea on insulation, though. I'm thinking of maybe insulating the outside of the grill to keep the potential of harmful gases from the inside of the oven.
My purpose in life is to say something so incredibly funny that you shoot milk out of your nose........even if you're not drinking milk.
Someguy
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Mon May 31, 2010 8:45 am

Someguy wrote:-snip-
I do have a salvage project. I picked up a stainless steel gas grill off the side of the road. I figured I could use the plumbing parts for spare. Then it occurred to me to use it to make a solar oven. I've planned it out in my head and maybe today, I'll get some something on paper. If anyone is interested, I'll take photos during the process and report my findings after it's complete. I do need an idea on insulation, though. I'm thinking of maybe insulating the outside of the grill to keep the potential of harmful gases from the inside of the oven.

:rolleyes: Well .... YEA, we're interested!!! Get 'em posted when you can! -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby blue fox » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:48 pm

I have made bookcases and such out of salvaged lumber from home building sites. For those with chicken tractors, try checking with your local outdoor advertising company and see if they will let you have their old viynl (sp) signs from the billboards as tarps for the coops. This is not my idea originally I saw it in Mother Earth News
blue fox
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby blue fox » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:52 pm

Someguy wrote:One thing I do really isn't salvaged, because it never makes it to the trash. I keep the two liter soda bottles, fill them with water and put them in the freezer to fill in extra space. The freezer doesn't work as hard when it's full. In the event of a power failure, I don't have to run my generator as much to keep refer and freezer cool. In the event of a water issue, i just thaw out a bottle of ice. I treat all the water bottles with a bleach and water rinse and then fill.

Might try styrofoam covered in foil.
blue fox
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby Slaw901 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:30 am

I'm currently nearly done with a goat shelter and a new chicken coop from mostly scrounged lumber and such. I have had to buy some but so far I've spent 35$ for both not counting nails. :thumbsup:
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Be who you are and say what you feel because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind~Dr. Seuss
Slaw901
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby David » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:40 pm

Maybe I put this on the wrong thread first but here it is. Fits here too.

viewtopic.php?f=384&t=6359&start=45

A big simple robust brick outhouse of a boat from local lumberyard, Home Depot, lowes, Habitat for Humanity, stuff salvaged, scrounged, found and carved out of a tree or two, all from plans in a library book. More info and pictures on the link.

Almost done, weather permitting, please permit.
Attachments
side.jpg
The boat a month ago.
David

Postby gracebowen » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:46 am

One thing I would really like to get around to is a passive solar heater. I googled it and found out how to do it but have not done it yet.
gracebowen

Postby arkieready » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:16 am

Long time ago, we built a passive solar water pre-heater. A set of discarded paio doors, 2 discarded water heater tanks. I had a gas water heater in my mobile, so instead of 30 gal of hot, I had 2 x40 + 30. We used bought plywood, paint, and insulation. Never froze, never leaked.
I built a solar cooker with scrounged material, an insulated cardboard box "house" for cats. My doghouse is scrap lumber. Our barn is all used metal. I bought a pallet of leftover stock/damaged/parts missing doors. Stray projects. Old style lp tank + New valves became an airtank. Old lumber cover make good tarps.
When the stock tank bottom rotted out, I put the split barrel waterer inside along with the salt block. To keep the horses from dumping them over.
I saved the glass from a broken storm door for building a heat catcher. I will have to collect pop cans for it & buy plywood,
An oil lamp from an empty beer bottle with cotton rope for a wick, and tinfoil for a stopper.
I'd much rather struggle with junque than buy new ready made.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:02 pm

I'm taking the old metal stakesand old "critter" wire that used to be around the garden (had them there to keep the dogs out, but they just jumped over it) and making a 3-bin composter.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PeachOnEarth » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Hubby made my herb garden out of plastic window frames gotten out of the dumpster... they will never rust nor rot!... the herbs have grown in since last year... I should retake the pic this summer to show it... since it has matured a lot.

herbgarden.jpg
herbgarden.jpg (2.65 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
"Earth Laughs In Flowers" Raph Waldo Emerson

"What we have loved, others will love, and we will teach them how." William Wordsworth

"Growing your own food is like printing your own money." - Ron Finley
PeachOnEarth

Postby UncleJoe » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:17 am

I got all the material, except the screws, for this little goat hut from a dumpster. It was in the yard of a home being remodeled.
Attachments
Goat Hut.jpg
Goat Hut.jpg (4.48 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
And To The Republic For Which It Used To Stand

[b]The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.[/b]
UncleJoe

PreviousNext

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle