• Advertisement
Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Free Prepping Supplies

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

Free Prepping Supplies

Postby vtwinzazen » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:46 am

I work in a Hospital. They throw out a lot of useful stuff. Here are some things that I collect and some uses I find for them. They are clean and not contaminated. If you work or know someone that works in the medical field you can see if they can get some things like this. I'm sure this stuff can be found in other industries. I remember when I worked in a chemical plant we could buy the used drums cheap. There was food and non food grade. Metal and plastic. All were used only once.
Mylar coffee bags. Took these out of the boxes they came in. There are always meetings with coffee and bagels. Some uses; water, bean, rice, grain storage.
Mylar coffee bag.jpg
Mylar coffee bag.jpg (63.21 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

Ice packs. I get these from the pharmacy, Cardiac Cath or the lab. These helped out during our last 2 storms for the refrigerator contents. You can also use them to keep the contents of heat sensitive stuff cool in the car trunk during the warmer months. You can keep a cooler for these things in your trunk along with your Get Home Bag. Just transfer these items from cooler to bag and go home. All you have to do is swap out the bags every day. They stay cooler than ice and are less messy. The Angio Bags get sealed with a seal a meal but not with full vacuum. The Angio Bag plastic is less durable.
Ice bags.jpg
Ice bags.jpg (50.76 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

Coolers. I get a variety of sizes from the Pharmacy and Lab. Good for emergencies, Picnic or Car. If you need to leave them they don't cost a dime. They are not as durable as a plastic or metal cooler but they do what they are intended for. The Styrofoam could also be used for insulation if you cut and fit them between studs. Could insulate that shed you built for garden supplies and storage. Might help keep things drier. The shed could also be used as comfortable living space for your refugees or quarantine :whistling:
Coolers.jpg
Coolers.jpg (44.67 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
Paul (vtwinzazen)

"Sharing knowledge is not about giving people something, or getting something from them. That is only valid for information sharing. Sharing knowledge occurs when people are genuinely interested in helping one another develop new capacities for action; it is about creating learning processes."

Peter Senge
vtwinzazen

Re: Free Prepping Supplies

Postby cityhomesteader » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:08 am

very neat!!! My wife never brings home great stuff like that!!!
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader
Connecticut State Moderator
Connecticut State Moderator

Postby IceFire » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:32 pm

When I worked at the hospital, we used to get the leftover hemostats and sutures from the surgical packs that didn't get used during surgeries. Since these were "single use" surgical packs, and the instruments were no longer sterile, they would have ended up in the trash if we hadn't "rescued" them.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Hardtimes » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:54 pm

An item I get free from our local hospital is rechargeable 12-volt gel batteries. The batteries are used as back-up power for medical equipment, and have to be replaced on a time schedule rather than waiting until they wear out.
The hospital pays to dispose of these batteries, so they are more than happy to let me pick through them. I bring a small multimeter to test the batteries and take home the ones that register 12-13 volts.
I use the batteries to power portable lighting and ham radio equipment.
Fend for Yourself
Hardtimes

Postby GooseArrow » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks for the ideas everybody!
GooseArrow
Oklahoma Preppers Network
Oklahoma Preppers Network

Postby dw_ak » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:27 pm

My daughter just started working at the county hospital, I will most definitely be putting her to work keeping an eye out for all this stuff. Thanks so much for the heads up.
"I yield to no man in sympathy for the gallant men under my command; but I am obliged to sweat them tonight, so that I may save their blood tomorrow."
~ General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson-
In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot. ~ Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
dw_ak
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby Ganey_1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:32 pm

1 thing about the batteries from the hospital`s. Take all of them! The ones that are bad you can stack up outside or wherever. when you get a good bit of them, you can take them to the scrap yard and they will buy them for a good amount, then you can use that money towards other prepper stuff you need! Just my .02

Ganey
Ganey_1

Postby 500CID » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:04 am

Unused instant cold peri-pack - hospitals give them to new moms, if the moms don't take them home, they are a good source of ammonium nitrate prills, fertilizer etc.
500CID

Postby dogboy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Salvaged the compressor from an old fridge to use as a vacuum pump for food packaging.
Also saved some storm windows to use for hot bed gardening.
dogboy

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle