• Advertisement

Bookcase Storage: Turning Old into New

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

Bookcase Storage: Turning Old into New

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:14 pm

I found MORE storage space! :D Our son had an old bookcase in his room. I needed more space in my storage room. I wanted to use the old bookcase, but my storage room is not big enough to add another shelf.

It looks like this: Image

:smartass: Then I had a great idea: put wheels on the bookshelf so that it can stand in FRONT of my existing shelves and then I can roll the new shelf out of the way to get to my old shelves!

I went to our big-box hardware store and bought four caster wheels.
I got two with 'breaks': Image And two regular: Image. I got wheels that are for 104 lbs. So a total weight capacity of 416 lbs. I wanted to be sure they could hold the weight of the bookshelf AND the weight of the preps I put on it.

Then I had a concern: I didn't want the bookshelf to TIP OVER! :shakeno: So ... I decided instead of having a TALL storage shelf, I would turn the bookshelf on it's side and have a LONG short one :) . I would remove all the shelves and just use the 'shell' of the bookcase. So, this is what I did:

Here's the bookcase on it's side, with the caster wheels secured in place: Image

Here's the bookshelf standing on those new wheels: Image

There was one 'fixed' shelf that I could not remove. It was also good for support, so I could put things on top of the bookshelf, too!

Now, all I had to do was place this new rolling storage unit in front of my existing shelves and fill it. It worked GREAT! :clap: With the heavy duty wheels, it's real easy to move back and forth out of the way of my other shelving, which has items that I don't need to get to very often.

I'd show you my newly filled storage unit ... but then ... well ... you know ... OPSEC breach :ninja: .

We have another of these bookshelves. I'm thinking I can do this again and use it on the other side of my storage room. :D -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Bookcase Storage: Turning Old into New

Postby GooseArrow » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Great idea ReadyMom! And you can find these old bookshelves at yard sales & thrift stores all of the time dirt cheap. I will be using your idea. Thanks :)
GooseArrow
Oklahoma Preppers Network
Oklahoma Preppers Network

Postby ShedGal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Great idea. Thanks!
ShedGal
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby Kimmer17 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:21 pm

That is so awesome!! I got totally frustrated last Friday on the way to work. Some one had a fantastic bookshelf sitting out for trash. I had no way of picking it up, I was driving the honda, son had pickup at school and hubby had the suburban out of state. Grind my teeth think of it at the dump now.
Kimmer17

Postby Tobor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:24 am

RM if you wanted to you could put the shelves back in and run screws in the ends of them to make dividers (leave it sideways)..that way you could put in items of different sizes and stack them verticle and if needed you could put in strap webbing or something to "seat belt " the stuff in so when rolling it it wont fall out..great idea for reuse of item..
Tobor

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:46 am

Tobor wrote:RM if you wanted to you could put the shelves back in and run screws in the ends of them to make dividers (leave it sideways)..that way you could put in items of different sizes and stack them verticle and if needed you could put in strap webbing or something to "seat belt " the stuff in so when rolling it it wont fall out..great idea for reuse of item..

GooseArrow: Good luck! Let us know when you get one made!

Kimmer: Too bad on the bookshelf. Wonder if they would have pulled it back from the curb for you to p/u next day? Hindsight is too late. Hopefully another will show up for you.

Tobor: Actually, I was wondering about something like that! Thanks! -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby OKCMomma » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:48 pm

Great idea! I am going to keep my eye out for bookshelves now!
OKCMomma

Postby Lilredmg » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:34 pm

We bought four or five cheap bookcases at Wally World and lined them up in our basement, facing the back wall. We created a wall using the bookcases, effectively shortening the length of our basement by about 4 feet. So the backs of the bookcases face the open basement. We put a very large entertainment center in front of it. Now when you walk into our basement, all you see is the entertainment center, with all my preps behind it, out of view to anyone that should enter that area of the basement. Works great!!
Matthew 25:42 "for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave me no drink."

Matthew 25:45 "Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me."
Lilredmg
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:38 pm

Lilredmg wrote:We bought four or five cheap bookcases at Wally World and lined them up in our basement, facing the back wall. We created a wall using the bookcases, effectively shortening the length of our basement by about 4 feet. So the backs of the bookcases face the open basement. We put a very large entertainment center in front of it. Now when you walk into our basement, all you see is the entertainment center, with all my preps behind it, out of view to anyone that should enter that area of the basement. Works great!!

What a cool idea! Did you paint the backs of the cases, or do anything to make them all look the same (with no seams where bookshelf each bookshelf stands next to each other?) -k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Lilredmg » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:50 pm

ReadyMom wrote:
Lilredmg wrote:We bought four or five cheap bookcases at Wally World and lined them up in our basement, facing the back wall. We created a wall using the bookcases, effectively shortening the length of our basement by about 4 feet. So the backs of the bookcases face the open basement. We put a very large entertainment center in front of it. Now when you walk into our basement, all you see is the entertainment center, with all my preps behind it, out of view to anyone that should enter that area of the basement. Works great!!

What a cool idea! Did you paint the backs of the cases, or do anything to make them all look the same (with no seams where bookshelf each bookshelf stands next to each other?) -k

They are all the same bookcase, so the backs were all the same color. The entertainment center is HUGE, covers most of it. What little shows, my husband hung a tapestry. There is about a two foot space open to walk back there. We have a grandfather's clock for that space. Someone would really have to be prying to see what is back there, and that would be moving a six foot clock, not easy. I wouldn't recommend this for cans though. We converted a coat closet for our canned storage.
Matthew 25:42 "for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave me no drink."

Matthew 25:45 "Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me."
Lilredmg

Postby OC357 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:05 pm

Clever idea RM..........hmmmmmmmmmm
I got nothing. I am just here for the ride.
OC357

Postby recon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Very nice RM! Nicely thought out. ;)

:gunsmile:
What Do I Believe In?
AMMO!
But It Cheap!
Stack It Deep!
recon
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby JamieBMallett » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:14 pm

:clap:
now, i have an idea on what to do with my old bookshelf.. what a brilliant idea RM.. :clap:
But instead of Wheel i think I'll change it into a rubber stopper so that, it will not slip/move easily.. :floppytongue:

Thank You RM... :clap:
Israeli made resistant vests. dont take less than the best to protect your life.
JamieBMallett

Postby Labhrain » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:55 am

Great idea!
Florida Region 3
"Everyone has the right to be stupid; some people just abuse the privilege."
Labhrain

Postby Peter5 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:52 pm

Wow! That's really seems t be a superb idea. But i have not even a single space to buy another furniture. In fact i have booked space for storage in Surry hills at storage plus. Their services are not expensive and that's the biggest reason why i have chosen this storage unit.
Peter5

Next

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle