• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

What to do with 5 gal buckets?

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

What to do with 5 gal buckets?

Postby themichiganprepper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:52 am

So I found a good deal on food grade, 5 gallon buckets. Too good of a deal to pass up. Now, Ive got like
75 buckets.

I plan on using some for...
1. food storage
2. ammo storage
3. to make a water filter
4. Plant crops in (Tomatoes and potatoes)
5. 1 to keep for an emergency toilet, with an old toilet seat to attach to
6. putting seats on for hunting and Ice fishing
7. Maybe cacheing some items

What other uses would be good for 5 gallon buckets. I know I can use them for carrying things, and washing the
car, but I'm looking for crafty ideas to turn the buckets into something.

Also, I bought a few gamma lids from Home depot, and I cant get the ring to stay on the bucket. Aren't these lids
supposed to fit all 3-6 gallon buckets? Has anyone found any tricks to getting the ring on their buckets?

Thank You,
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
TheMichiganPrepper
themichiganprepper

Re: What to do with 5 gal buckets?

Postby Laststandprepper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:34 am

I store candles in 5 gal buckets.
Stand now or Kneel forever.
Laststandprepper
Rhode Island Preppers Network
Rhode Island Preppers Network

Postby redneck » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:26 am

I made chicken water out of some of mine by using hole saw to drill hole just bellow the height of chickens back the another about 3 inch up then cut between making slot. I make 3 or 4 slots or more. I have some with floats to keep water in them others i just fill with another bucket just pouring till full. I store nails, screws, animal food, and charcoal to name a few in mine.
If a man thrive on other peoples labor will he survive on his own labor?
redneck
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Lostfalls » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:32 am

Yes, i was going to say chicken waterer and chicken feeders - they will also make good nest boxes for chickens.
Lostfalls
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Unless your current source is an on-going supply, I wouldn't be wasting food grade buckets on anything but food storage .... 75 buckets sounds like alot of food storage, but it goes incredibly fast when you start storing bulk grain ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby redneck » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:43 pm

I use 5 gal mud buckets for storing things as well. I have a friend that has a sheet rock company and always has lots of buckets. If we don't have any food grade buckets we use them after washing really good. If food goes in we use Mylar bags inside the buck and sealed.
If a man thrive on other peoples labor will he survive on his own labor?
redneck

Postby nutcase » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:47 pm

I use mine to store and organize tools, I separate the tools for each job, such as tile, carpet, painting, electrical, plumbing, etc. Some take more than one bucket, but it helps me keep them straight.

I also use them to keep my electrical cords in order. Hang the male end out about 5 feet(enough to plug in somewhere) then coil the cord in like a water hose. This way when you need it you just play out what you need the rest stays in the bucket. If you really got ambitious you could cut a 1" hole in the bottom inch or so and put the male end out there. This can be used for ropes as well. I like to use bags for ropes though.

I just saw how LDSPrepper on youtube set up a self watering garden with 5-gal buckets. That is next on my list. Here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ua0UylSwbw
The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.
George Washington
nutcase

Postby HiStylerider » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:04 pm

I used a bunch of them (from joint compound I always use) for footing molds on a deck job. The ground was so soggy that using the standard cardboard forms, known as "sonotubes" sagged and collapsed overnite waiting for the building inspector to come and approve the hole depths. I cut the bottoms out of them, ducttaped 2 together at the bottoms creating a slightly tapered in the middle shape. Inspector loved the idea, and then just filled them with cement after dropping in a little gravel first. Worked great, and didn't cost me anything but some duct tape and a couple Sawzall blades.

Like someone above mentioned, I also use them to cart around selections of tools that don't work well in tool boxes or bags.

And they are great with a board on a pair for a quicky bench or low cutting table. You can even run a few short screws thru them into the boards if you want them more stable. I have used them that way to set up a long low "stepstool" to reach the ceiling for some jobs indoors.
HiStylerider

Postby IceFire » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:00 pm

I use them to hold potting soil, seed starting mix, storing garden seeds, and numerous other uses around the place.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Canythould » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:13 am

Laststandprepper wrote:I store candles in 5 gal buckets.

Hey!! I also used 5 gal buckets to store many candles. :) :) :)
Canythould

Postby CJay » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:48 am

If you have lids they make excellent fermentation vessels. Drill a small hole in the center take a tube that barely fits through the hole epoxy it in place and shove the free end in a glass of water for an air trap.
CJay

Postby catfeet » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:21 am

You can use them for a water filter - the Monolith uses 2 to make a great, cheap filter.
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby blue fox » Wed May 04, 2016 7:26 pm

I took one and mounted a plastic hose faucet on it and kept it in my garage full of water. It came in handy for many uses. the faucet from True Value hardware but I guess you could find them in most hardware or home supply stores. Just drill a hole to fit the faucet in and tighten the nut on the inside then seal it with tub sealer. Never leaked in several years. A couple of them stashed around would work well for drinking water. For that matter paint one black and set it in the sun for hot water.
blue fox
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Wed May 04, 2016 8:21 pm

I keep about a dozen empty ones with their original lids and empty, strictly for fetching and purifying drinking water from a creek or lake. One color is for non purified water and another color is for purified water which has been strained, filtered, and treated. Their sides and lids are marked as to which is which with black perm. marking pen. or taped on labels. Basically there are dozens or hundreds of uses for them, limited only by your imagination. I have been using them for a large number of uses for over 40 years now. One year I used about 24 on the patio to grow tomatoes and bell peppers inside a make shift temporary visqueen "green house". The flowers got pollinated by bees, flies, butterflies. Camp bucket for putting out a campfire, BBQ briquette storage, sidewalk or patio sand for winter, coiled hose storage, rope storage, temp. portapotty (with liner), seat and lid, (waste basket or garbage can in home, in shop, camping, on patio), for mixing things in, to catch drips from leaky roofs and ceilings (takes a long time usually to get much water in one if the leak is not a big one.) The list seems never ending. :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle