• Advertisement

Peanut Butter Jars

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

Peanut Butter Jars

Postby mark883 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:33 pm

I go through a jar of peanut butter week, so I have a lot of empty jars laying around. Right now I use them to store hardware and stuff that I don't want to get wet. I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas? Most of them are the 14oz jars but sometime's I buy the big 4lb jars so I got a couple of them laying around too.
mark883

Re: Peanut Butter Jars

Postby namwal » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:41 pm

Yup I keep my nails and screws in them. The wife keeps sugar, coffee, chocolate chips and such in them. Also dryer lint to start fires. I'm sure there are a million uses as they are sturdy and relatively shatter proof when dropped. Not much fun to wash though....
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Steel Boss » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:50 am

I keep my small ammo rounds in them. A lot easier to carry 4 or 5 boxes in one container than all the boxes themselves
Steel Boss
Steel Boss
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby kappydell » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:37 pm

I bought pouches that fasten to my BOB backpack. The PB jars fit exactly for carrying small miscellaney. They also are good for carrying dehydrated chili, jerky, and such that i make at home for short term (bug out) use. I just take the jars out of the freezer and put them in the pouches.
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby blue fox » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Put the dry ingredients for quick meals (soups, rice and beans stuff like that) in each jar. I have found that 2 cups of rice will fill one jar. You could also use them as measuring cups in emergencies as they (oddly enough) hold 2 cups of water. I have 2 jars of instant rice in my truck along with a sealed package of beef sausage snack sticks and other accessory items.
blue fox
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby Conscious » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:52 pm

I'm currently collecting identical pb jars for a shop organization rack for small screws and such. the following is a decent example. simply screw the lids to the bottom of an accessible shelf, fill jars, insert jars into lids.

http://lifehacker.com/5812259/diy-space ... re-storage
Everyday, Become More than you were yesterday
Everyday, Believe in your soul's potential.
Everyday, Raise your Conscious.
Conscious

Postby mark883 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks for the Ideas everyone.
mark883

Postby Steel Boss » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:08 pm

If your a real redneck like me, I also use it for baiting green fields during deer season. They love it ! I screw the cap into the tree then take a knife and cut the bottom of the jar out and screw the jar on to the lid on the tree. They will run their head as far as they can into the jar trying to get every last bit of it. ! lol But its prolly illegal as hell in most states, so be careful ! hahaha
Steel Boss
Steel Boss
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby Hush » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:18 am

How do you get the peanut butter out of the jars?! I have such a hard time getting them squeaky clean.
Hush

Postby Labhrain » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Hush wrote:How do you get the peanut butter out of the jars?! I have such a hard time getting them squeaky clean.

By the time I get done with a jar of peanut butter, there's very little on the side of the jar. I would recommend that you let the jar soak for a while and then hand wash before putting in the dish washer.
Florida Region 3
"Everyone has the right to be stupid; some people just abuse the privilege."
Labhrain

Postby StarWish624 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:04 am

The jars are wonderful to use as food containers in picnic baskets/packed lunch for outings etc. (I packed a lunch to eat at the county Fair- I bought a cold drink, though - no upset tummies with bad Fair foods). I even used a smaller size PB container to pack a veggie omelette for lunch during Jury Duty. The containers are wonderful because of the wide-mouth. Easy to eat from and to clean afterwards.
StarWish624

Postby HiStylerider » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:38 pm

Along with the screws and such, they are great for soaking paint brushes in. I keep them 1/2 full of thinner and leave brushes overnite, then just seal 'em up good again with the thinner inside. After a while the solids sink to the bottom, and the thinner is clear again. Turpentine too.

And they work great for assorted electrical parts, like wire nuts and connectors and those pesky 6/32, 8/24s and so on. You can see at a glace whether what you are after is in one or the other.
HiStylerider

Postby jimLE » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:56 pm

i've got peanut butter jars.peanut jars miracle whip jars,and i dunno what others.i brought some in and rewashed them,gonna use them for change jars.i have 1 good size spice jar with ink pens.2 spice jars with fire crackers and all i gotta do,is open the wide mouth side.get out what i need at the time..
jimLE

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:33 pm

Good thinking folks! I have been saving them for years. I love peanut butter, especially Jif. And PB cookies too. I get 99.? of the PB out with a butter knife, soak them in warm water with a drop or two of dish wash liquid (fill 1/2 full of hot water and replace the lid snuggly and shake thoroughly until sudsy) and when I wash them the first time I use one of those drinking glass scrubbers that has a long handle with a sponge on the end and a scotch brite on the bottom of the sponge to wash them out with, using just a couple drops of dish liquid detergent which dissolves the oil and removes it from the inside wall and inside bottom. Then I rinse very well with hot water and dry in dish drainer overnight. They are very handy for many uses. Now Miracle Whip and Mayo. comes in plastic jars too and there are other food products as well. I clean them all and store them. Mine mostly have small fasteners and hardware in them. Their uses are only limited by your imagination. Old clothing buttons and sewing thread on spools sewing needles thimbles etc, you name it. Farmer's Matches. Fire starter. (not flammable liquids) or other liquids. The lids do not completely seal. Not suitable for long term food storage though. I have a 15 oz PB jar full of Quarters. Cant get even one more in it. It's a good sum of cash and hefty too! :D :-)
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle