• Advertisement

Thrift Stores

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

Thrift Stores

Postby zazzu » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:01 pm

I don't know how it is in other parts of the country but down here in this part of south FL there are very few if any neighborhood used goods stores. There are G88dwill stores everywhere but I won't be shopping at them because their prices are way to high. I went looking a few days ago for jeans and they wanted $12 and up a pair. Ladies tops and childrens jeans were $7 and up! I have to admit I've not been in there in about 5 years but holy cow with the economy the way it is, how can they do that? Even their used furniture and kitchen ware was way over the top. I sometimes collect pretty colored plates for doing mosaics and they wanted $3 for one plain plate. They get all this stuff donated to them, it's not like they have to purchase stuff and have a profit margin to be concerned about. Are thrift store prices like that all over the country?
I'm in the process of gathering things for a yard sale soon, maybe I should hit a few this week to see what their charging for things. BTW in this town you can only have 2 yard sales a year with a permit at $30 each. :angry:
zazzu
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Re: Thrift Stores

Postby mrduke » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:34 pm

wow thats sad , paying to have a yard sale, weve got a lot of thrift stores around hear, and the prices a way better then thoughs,i get good stuff at them all the time,
mrduke

Postby Alaska Rose » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:09 pm

Wow, that is tough and you can buy inexpensive new stuff for those prices. Checking out the pricing at other's yard sales is a very good idea, before holding your own.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby timmy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:44 pm

I personaly like shopping at pawn shops, I have found some really good deals over the years.

Of course the fact I can barter, and usually get a better price with cash helps.

If you don't mind used firearms and know what your looking at there are some good deals. Especially 6-8 weeks after hunting season is over!

:thumbup:
1 Corinthians 1 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. kjv
timmy

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:36 pm

zazzu wrote:I don't know how it is in other parts of the country but down here in this part of south FL there are very few if any neighborhood used goods stores. There are G88dwill stores everywhere but I won't be shopping at them because their prices are way to high. I went looking a few days ago for jeans and they wanted $12 and up a pair. Ladies tops and childrens jeans were $7 and up! I have to admit I've not been in there in about 5 years but holy cow with the economy the way it is, how can they do that? Even their used furniture and kitchen ware was way over the top. I sometimes collect pretty colored plates for doing mosaics and they wanted $3 for one plain plate. They get all this stuff donated to them, it's not like they have to purchase stuff and have a profit margin to be concerned about. Are thrift store prices like that all over the country?
I'm in the process of gathering things for a yard sale soon, maybe I should hit a few this week to see what their charging for things. BTW in this town you can only have 2 yard sales a year with a permit at $30 each. :angry:

Zazzu,
It is the same way here in Central Florida at the g88dwill and HH, canning jars go for .75 a jar for pint size and 1.00 for quart. I can buy a brand new dozen and a half with rings and lids for what they are charging at a per jar rate. Clothing prices here depends on brand name as to how high they price it.
Yard sales in our county allows 4 yard sales per year anything after that you need a permit. It is not enforced, most times the city and county code enforcement are shopping yard sales in their city / county vehicles.
We have 2 neighbors that go around and buy out garage sales then use the items in their sales and double the price for their yard sales.
Garage sales are now a for profit business..

Another way to procure free items is to look for forclosure homes that are being cleaned out. Many times the home owners leave a lot of clothing, dinnerware, tv's, kitchen wear, etc, etc because in many cases their new residence cannot accomodate alot of things.
I have worked with my clients on cleaning out for a move and after they have what they want and need, we will take all of the things that are in good condition and reusable and place them in the driveway or yard with a "Free to good home" sign out. Usually we will have people stop and we open the doors up and let them know whatever they need or want is theirs free.
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby guncat » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Same here in Michigan g88dwill cost as much as new.
Trust in GOD and the Mauser, old Boer saying.
Trust in GOD and the Mauser plus the prep. old guncat saying.
Just because We raised Sheep does not mean I want to be one.
guncat
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:21 pm

I did manage to find some pint canning jars for $.50 each at goodwill, but they wanted $1 each for quart jars. Heck, I can bet BRAND NEW Ball canning jars for LESS than that!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby maerha » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:18 pm

Goodwill is so expensive because it is used by the government to put people who have been injured at work, back to work. My husband used to be a residential framer. Someone dropped a truss on his head while he was looking up from under it. Once the worker's comp Dr's decided he would never be able to frame again due to the injuries to his neck and back, they put him to work at Goodwill. They paid him minimum wage, and cut his workers comp check by more than what Goodwill paid him. We took another huge loss in income, since workers comp wasn't paying what he had been making while framing. We'll never shop at Goodwill again...
maerha
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby 123 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:44 am

Alaska Rose wrote:Wow, that is tough and you can buy inexpensive new stuff for those prices. Checking out the pricing at other's yard sales is a very good idea, before holding your own.

i get my kidses stuf at goodwill in a tone clsoe to me. they gots good stuf and bad stuf, gota be cerful what ya git, some gots bugs.
On a "need to know" basis and you don't need to know.

Postby JohnGalt47 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm

If you can, check out the dumpsters behind thrift stores. Many throw out usable items if they are overstocked, don't know what something is, or are too lazy to put items out on the sales floor. I once collected a $600 Filson leather jacket out of a thrift store dumpster (someone thought the distressed leather was damage) and last week got an entire shoebox full of good-quality kitchen knives.

Obviously, you won't be able to plan on finding anything specific, and you'll have to deal with the usual hazards of dumpster-diving. But you may well find, as I have, that there are far more bargains in the trash at thrift stores than there are inside the store itself.
JohnGalt47

Postby JohnGalt47 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:02 pm

Just a follow-up to the above: does your area have a "clean-up week" during which anyone can put pretty much anything out at the curb to be collected by the local garbage service? Two of the towns in my area have them twice a year. And during the entire time, much of the area is FULL of people driving around slowly with trucks pulling trailers, most of them at least half-full. You would be amazed at what people throw away. One man's trash....
JohnGalt47

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:24 pm

JohnGalt47,

Many of the high end retailors in Central Florida throw out end of season fashions that did not sell on clearance or were purchased by employees. They make more money by writting the cost off.
The only thing done to the article of clothing is the tag is cut in half vertically so it cannot be returned for cash or credit.
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby Alaska Rose » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:51 am

I scored a good deal today at Valu Village in Fairbanks. Two pairs of Carhartts pant, one pair lined, for under $10 a pair. Both in excellent condition. They had a couple more pair in my size, but they had small holes in the crotch. Mosquitoes don't bite through Carhartts, so if that were the only place they found to bite, ummmm, not going there.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby pelenaka » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Of the three major thrift stores I have always found Goodwill the most expensive, followed by Volunteers of America. Thankfully my children are all teenagers so the need to replace clothing isn't as frequent as when they were in their growing years. Mostly we shop once a year @ a clothing swap our church sponsors.

Few tips on throwing a yard sale -
Offer plants - I have long since recouped my money on perennial plants such as purple coneflowers by repotting off shoots then selling the following year. Collect pots from family & neighbors or repurpose plastic food containers by poking drainage holes in the bottom. I also am able to recoup my orginal outlay of on veggie seeds but selling two or three seedlings @ a dollar each.
In years past we have helped organize a street wide sale where everyone puts in a quarter or two to pay for an add in the local paper. Add in a few well placed big signs on the nearest major intersections.
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby lostinmyhope » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:13 pm

G88dwill is definitely priced too high for me! I used to work at tgt and when clearance would get to a certain low percentage off and hadn't sold it would go "salvage" which meant it was boxed up, put on a pallet and picked up weekly by the g88dwill.. Free of charge. Sometimes we'd give them like 3 or 4 pallets per week of stuff. I have actually seen them charge MORE at gdwll then was the original price at tgt!
lostinmyhope
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Next

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle