• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Old window weights, what to do with them?

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

Old window weights, what to do with them?

Postby lovie_5 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:17 am

My husband and I are renovating an old farm house. We have taken out a lot of old windows ( saving those for a green house). Inside the frames of the windows are these long heavy weights. I think they are iron. They are about 15 inces long. We have quite a few. Does anyone know what they could be used for other than just giving to the local metal junk man?
lovie_5

Re: Old window weights, what to do with them?

Postby Lghmstng3 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:54 am

trott line weight comes to mind.
Lghmstng3
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:35 am

scrap .... some people stack them in the garden as a display .... seen them hung also ..... everybody has some laying around their old house
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby AuntBee » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:34 am

I'd hang onto them if you can. Might be useful barter someday if iron to make bullets becomes scarce.
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Drakenstead1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:36 am

If you have one of those portable frame canopies the old window weights hung with cords from the corners make great ballast. Here on the prairie where there is nothing between us and the Rockies except the Dakotas they are a necessity. I've also seem them used as counter weights for doors on sheds and as anchors for floating channel markers at lake cabins. (Check local regulations here as in many cases this is not legal).
Years ago my four year old daughter woke us at 2 AM one Sunday morning with a blood curdling scream "Daddy Help Loki scratched me and my eye is poke out!!!!!!"
I ran to her room where the cat bolted out and flipped on the light to see my daughter sitting up in terror with nothing but blood where I should have seen her eye.
I pulled on a pair of pants and hollered for my wife who threw on a robe while I wrapped our baby in a blanket for the rush to the emergency room. Upon arrival our daughter was taken from us and my wife and I hustled into separate rooms where we were grilled by police upon suspicion of child abuse. Our daughter suffered only from a deep and bloody scratch over her eye that a couple of stiches took care of. It took legal help and a couple of years to get the note "suspected child abuse" expunged from the record.

Upon arriving home the cat and an old window weight went into an old pillow case. Loki Grey Cat went to visit his cousins in New Orleans via the Mississippi River on that cold December morning.
Ain't proud of it but to this day figure it as an appropriate response and an efficient use of the window weights
Drakenstead1

Postby arkieready » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Dang!
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:45 pm

They make good trot line weights. And saw a thing in backwoods home (i think) link 3 together nd use as a boat anchor
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready

Postby Bull54 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:41 pm

They will make a great anchor as Arkie said with 3 of them together but that is for a small boat. I have a 16' Carolin Skiff and it took 7 of them tied together to hold my boat in a decent current, BUT they WORK!!!!!! Trot lines also.
Bull54

Postby Fullmoon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:21 pm

I use them for firewood tarp weights, tie a wire through the hole in the weight and run it through the gromet in the tarp and this will keep the tarp from blowing away, most of the time. Scrap metal prices are high now so you may want to collect a bunch of weights and sell them to the local scrap yard.
Fullmoon

Postby john_arnold7 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:31 pm

Automatic door closers or gate closer. Use some eye hooks and run some string though it and tie one on a door and string others to the weight. Measure for slide and put the weight in a piece of pvc pipe to keep it form banging on the wall when moving. Will pull the door closed to keep animals in.
john_arnold7

Postby beachbrratt » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:34 am

They can be used for any tarp weight, pool cover, trailer cover, tarp over a roof after a bad storm. I got quite a few a couple of years back and to me they are invaluable. I use them on so many things when I need heavy weight in a small space.
beachbrratt
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Northern Freeman » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:53 am

Drakenstead1 wrote:If you have one of those portable frame canopies the old window weights hung with cords from the corners make great ballast. Here on the prairie where there is nothing between us and the Rockies except the Dakotas they are a necessity. I've also seem them used as counter weights for doors on sheds and as anchors for floating channel markers at lake cabins. (Check local regulations here as in many cases this is not legal).
Years ago my four year old daughter woke us at 2 AM one Sunday morning with a blood curdling scream "Daddy Help Loki scratched me and my eye is poke out!!!!!!"
I ran to her room where the cat bolted out and flipped on the light to see my daughter sitting up in terror with nothing but blood where I should have seen her eye.
I pulled on a pair of pants and hollered for my wife who threw on a robe while I wrapped our baby in a blanket for the rush to the emergency room. Upon arrival our daughter was taken from us and my wife and I hustled into separate rooms where we were grilled by police upon suspicion of child abuse. Our daughter suffered only from a deep and bloody scratch over her eye that a couple of stiches took care of. It took legal help and a couple of years to get the note "suspected child abuse" expunged from the record.

Upon arriving home the cat and an old window weight went into an old pillow case. Loki Grey Cat went to visit his cousins in New Orleans via the Mississippi River on that cold December morning.
Ain't proud of it but to this day figure it as an appropriate response and an efficient use of the window weights

Sounds appropriate to me. I don't think the cat would of lasted that long here after that.
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman
Minnesota Preppers Network
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:55 am

sajjad122 wrote:My husband and I are renovating an old farm house. We have taken out a lot of old windows ( saving those for a green house). Inside the frames of the windows are these long heavy weights. I think they are iron. They are about 15 inces long. We have quite a few. Does anyone know what they could be used for other than just giving to the local metal junk man?

SPAM!
This yahoo can not even write an original post!
:rofl:
It is a cut and paste from the OP.
:x

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Removed.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby FussyOldHen » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:58 pm

I've never even SEEN an old window weight! I had to look them up at Google Images to see what you folks were talking about!

I learn something every time I come here.
FussyOldHen

Next

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle