• Advertisement

Re-purpose These...

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

Re: Re-purpose These...

Postby AuntBee » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:06 pm

Used precription bottles. Check each one to make sure that particular bottle is waterproof and air tight by submerging them in water. These bottles have a lot of potential uses like
B
Keeping matches and other firestarting stuff dry
If you have a large container, stuff breathing masks in it to help keep it safe from contamination
Wrap outside with duct tape or paracord
Store flash drives - maybe if wrapped n foil, that would make it emp resistant?
Keep seeds dry and protected from air and sunlight (not sure how good they are at light protection)
Small roll of paper and golf pencil

I get bottles from friends, plus I have plenty on my own account

Aunt Bee
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:58 pm

While grocery shopping recently I noticed that some regular products had change their container from glass to plastic for whatever reason. Some food products should not be packaged in plastic jars for various important reasons. So I will suggest and advise everyone who cans foods or has a friend who does or may want to later to save any condiment or glass jars before they become unavailable. Save the lids too. Wash them out, let them dry, replace the lid, and box them for storage. they can be sterilized by boiling and reused for canning and resealed with wax (paraffin) and then the lid replaced to the jar. Get them while they're still available. I wonder when they'll try putting beer into plastic bottles. What a ridiculous idea that would be. Some things just do not belong in plastic containers. Might save on shipping and handling weight but shelf life comparison between glass and plastic is significant. I refer to pickles, peppers, sauces and anything that traditionally came in a glass jar. Boomers remember but youngers are not aware of all the changes made over the last 40 years or so. And keep this in mind----"NEW AND IMPROVED" is not always true. New, yes, improved, rarely. Changed, yes, but not always for the better. I've been saving glass jars and bottles for years, but not many people have been. Maybe a good barter item when SHTF. I need to stockpile some paraffin now. It's also good for candle making and big rolls of cotton twine for candle wicks. Bee keepers---Save all of your bees wax too. Also a good barter item with many uses. :-)
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby sageprice » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:28 pm

small bottles Huh? salt and pepper for camping. Cayenne for cooking and first aid. Lighter fluid to help start a camp fire. Alcohol to drink, fire starter, first aid.
Castile soap also has all kind of possibilities. :D :D :D
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:07 pm

if interested in the mini Tabasco sauce bottles they are available for individual sale ....

http://theepicenter.com/mre-hot-sauce-r ... ottle.html
http://theepicenter.com/mre-hot-sauce-g ... ottle.html

if you want something more practical - http://theepicenter.com/geocache-contai ... chain.html
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:20 pm

[quote="AuntBee"]Used precription bottles. Check each one to make sure that particular bottle is waterproof and air tight by submerging them in water. These bottles have a lot of potential uses like
B
Keeping matches and other firestarting stuff dry
If you have a large container, stuff breathing masks in it to help keep it safe from contamination
Wrap outside with duct tape or paracord
Store flash drives - maybe if wrapped n foil, that would make it emp resistant?
Keep seeds dry and protected from air and sunlight (not sure how good they are at light protection)
Small roll of paper and golf pencil

I get bottles from friends, plus I have plenty on my own account

for EMP protection for flash drives a metal container casing is required - metal match safe works perfect - waterproof/damage resistant/EMP ....

http://www.coghlans.com/products/match-holder-546
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby FussyOldHen » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:03 pm

Prescription bottles, vitamin bottles, jars: Seed storage.

I came across a box of 1/2-cup canning jars (minus one) at a yard sale this summer. The woman said she bought some to make individual pies but it was too time-consuming (I tried it once -- she's right). Nice size for small-seed saving.

I saw some spray paint designed for plastic. Couldn't think of anything that I would use it on. But how about spraying the outside of plastic bottles with a dark color (like dark green) to make them light-proof? Wouldn't use it for food.
FussyOldHen

Postby HiStylerider » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:19 pm

Not sure how many folks here will know what I mean, but we carpenters and woodworkers sometimes use a "Sureform pocket" rasp, it's part file, part chisel, has lots of little blades mounted to a flat section of metal, and in a handle. it can make for a gazillion little shavings for tinder, way faster and smaller than you'd get whittling with a knife.

The tool AND a replacement blade will cost you under 10 bucks, and believe me, they work well. I lent mine to my son for his Klondike Scout outing, and gave him cedar 2x4s to use in the firebuilding competition. His patrol group, the Wolverines, even beat out the Senior Patrol, which consisted of several kids who were already Eagle Scouts.

Here, I dug up a couple pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,

rasp.jpg
blade.jpg
blade.jpg (33.45 KiB) Viewed 842 times
HiStylerider

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:10 pm

HiStylerider wrote:Not sure how many folks here will know what I mean, but we carpenters and woodworkers sometimes use a "Sureform pocket" rasp, it's part file, part chisel, has lots of little blades mounted to a flat section of metal, and in a handle. it can make for a gazillion little shavings for tinder, way faster and smaller than you'd get whittling with a knife.

The tool AND a replacement blade will cost you under 10 bucks, and believe me, they work well. I lent mine to my son for his Klondike Scout outing, and gave him cedar 2x4s to use in the firebuilding competition. His patrol group, the Wolverines, even beat out the Senior Patrol, which consisted of several kids who were already Eagle Scouts.

Here, I dug up a couple pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,

rasp.jpg
blade.jpg

along the same line - use a carpenter's pencil sharpener for making fire starting shavings ... best around for the purpose is the KUM brand from Germany - all metal for durability .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qovtUO-iDZQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kum-400-1K-Magn ... SwzvlW--Dx
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby HiStylerider » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:30 pm

too true, for sure!
HiStylerider

Previous

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle