• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

What to do with moving blankets?

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

What to do with moving blankets?

Postby mombear » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:27 am

I am now unpacked and we bought a bunch of the felt blankets to cover our furniture. They are in a tub in the garage, but am looking for suggestions on what I can re-purpose them with/for.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear
Arkansas Preppers Network

Re: What to do with moving blankets?

Postby Blazer2 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:13 am

Keep them they make great insulation blankets for Windows if needed. I cut one down to put over my doggie door. To keep the cold out. My boss has a few that his cat's sleep on out side in his shed. I also have 2 in my truck for blankets if needed.
Blazer2

Postby Grizbrb » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:06 am

Keep some in the car incase you get stranded sometime .
Grizbrb

Postby MoosePath » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:47 am

On mornings where the temperatures were so cold my truck wouldn't start I would throw a couple blankets over the hood and then put some sort of heating devise (I used a bucket of hot coals from the wood burner) under the engine block to get the truck started. Works for me every time (even at -40) but I take no liability if you set your truck or car on fire with the heating devise you choose to use :lol: .
MoosePath

Postby Onegreenguy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:34 am

Extra padding when you go camping. Insulate and block light from getting out your windows. Better insulate a stall or part of a barn for birthing livestock. Save for barter/trade/emergency blankets.
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to its close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences."

-Winston Churchill's oft-quoted warning on the eve of World War II
Onegreenguy
Tennessee State Moderator
Tennessee State Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:13 am

Harbor Freight has them super cheap .... when you live in the frozen north they have a million & one uses ....

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... g+blankets
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Tobor » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:50 am

What to do with moving blankets? simple beat them to death they aint supposed to be moving..
Tobor

Postby AuntBee » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:54 pm

Tobor wrote:What to do with moving blankets? simple beat them to death they aint supposed to be moving..

Hahaha! That's exactly what I was going to say! :rofl:
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Shera » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:56 pm

I have been using them for covering my plants from spring frost.
Have one in the car just lay flat in the hatchback it also easy to shake off if dirty. There if needed for emergency.
Carry one in RV. Used it camping for bedding when someone forgot sleeping bag.

(Beat them to death???? LOL..)
Shera

Postby IceFire » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:04 pm

When we were in PA, I used to use them in conjunction with waterproof tarps to cover my outdoor rabbit hutches to keep the bunnies warm enough that their water wouldn't freeze. The blankets provided insulation, the tarps kept the blankets dry, and the bunnies generated enough heat (which was held in by the blanket/tarp combo) that their water did NOT freeze, even when everything was cold and snowy.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ET2[SW]Moose87 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:22 am

id say as black out curtains or blocking drafts
ET2[SW]Moose87
Connecticut Preppers Network
Connecticut Preppers Network

Postby blue fox » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:42 pm

I have a pair rolled and tied behind the seat of my truck. "Just in case" I always figured with a tarp or two (also in truck along with tiedown ratchet straps) that I would have a make shift shelter and sleeping gear handy.
blue fox
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:49 pm

You're in MN -- what's your plan if you lose your heat source? If you've got a few beds, place a mattress against an inner wall, another on the floor, a third upright on the other side of the floor mattress, and cover the whole thing with multiple moving blankets to form 'ceiling', 'back wall' and 'door'. Everyone sleeps together and the mattress and blankets provide insulation to trap the body heat.
FussyOldHen

Postby mombear » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:40 pm

We moved to Arkansas (haven't figured out how to change my state emblem yet) If we loose power here, I have a three layer plan, first is warm cloths, then the fireplace (it is a wood burning one) plus I have two kerosene heaters. If it gets real bad I would set up a tent in the house and move the kerosene heater into the tent. When I lived in MN I had two big kerosene heaters and enough fuel to last a couple of winters, to heat my house.

What I have been using them for is when camping, after putting the tarp down I layer the moving blankets over it then put the tent up on it. I keep two of them in my car, have used them for picnics. But mostly We have added them to a wool blanket on both sides and used them as a quilt stuffing. I'm allergic to wool, so adding a couple of layers over the wool really helps. it makes the quilt extra warm!
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle