• Advertisement

What odd-ball containers do you always save and what for?

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

Re: What odd-ball containers do you always save and what for

Postby 98dot6 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:38 pm

My favorite odd-ball container to save are those plastic wide mouth protein powder containers. They make a tight waterproof seal. I pack them with various fire starting items so the container is a light watertight fire starting kit that I have in my Bug-Out Bags and vehicles. This is the most important kit in my BOB.

Here is an example protein powder container, that after using, I would peel off the label and use to build a waterproof fire starter kit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JU81ZG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001JU81ZG&linkCode=as2&tag=theamadoopre-20&linkId=A36H7CRBCJUFDZHB
98dot6

Postby AuntBee » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:17 am

Chapstick tubes...never thought of that. Neat! Someone probably mentioned these, but I can!t throw out Altoid tins and ones like them. I use them for all kinds of things like mini sewing kits, mini first aid kits, and small electronic things like thumbdrives. I keep any kind of glass container. The little jam jars and little booze bottles (a lot of those are plastic now --boo!) also have a lot of uses. I don't know if these Borrower size containers would be good for families, but they're great for solo preppers.

Toilet paper and paper towel tubes are good for keeping extra computer cords and electric cords separate and neat. You store the cord inside the tube, write what it is on the outside. They aren't durable containers over the long term, I guess, but they're handy.

Aunt Bee
Squirrel
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:40 am

Tictac container for mini sewing kit. Altoids for tons of stuff.
Paper towel tubes get stuffed with grocery bags and stored in a drawer. Nice and neat.
And of course, coffee cans. For garden, for scooping feed, animal watering, drip irrigating.
Cardboard 6 pack holder for odd light bulbs.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby MoosePath » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:31 am

My wife saves the big plastic pretzel/snack containers we get from Sam's club. Not with the pull top lids but the screw on lids. She uses them to put the dog food in. If you have large dogs like we do you buy the big bags of dog food. Once they are opened you run the risk of bugs or rodents getting into the bags, depending on how long it takes you to use the food up it could get stale or damp. Once she opens a bag she transfers the dog food into these containers with a scoop. It not only keeps it safe but the plastic containers are easier to handle and store then the large bags.
MoosePath

Postby Conscious » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:03 am

Wow. you guys are great at this.

Reading through this thread has made me realize I do a few more too, but variations on what ya'll have already done.

I have a Peanut Butter/Mayo Jar Screwed Top Screw & Parts holder in the shop. But I stopped saving those... just don't need more and more collecting w/o a purpose.

I also get all my wife's lip balm tins and salve tins. I make my own moustache wax, and I like to have those little tins in handy places in case my moustache needs a little touch-up.
Everyday, Become More than you were yesterday
Everyday, Believe in your soul's potential.
Everyday, Raise your Conscious.
Conscious

Postby jimLE » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:52 pm

the peanut butter and miracle whip plastic jars.the one tube n lid that a certain type of lunch meat comes in.the lil round bowls n lids that mashed potatoes n corn comes in at KFC.all these things not only good for left overs.but i use some of the peanut butter and miracle whip plastic jars for screws nails and other items as well..
jimLE

Postby contrarian » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:43 pm

Yogurt containers that have a taper make great pots for transplanting seedlings into. Drill holes in the bottom and re-use for 3, 4 years.

Like many any glass jar and most plastic containers. Cat litter buckets.
Prepping -- prudence in action
You either stand for something or you will put up with anything.
Study all sides and aspects to a situation but learn to reject 90% of what is said.
contrarian
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby turfa » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:09 pm

I save the square bottles with a screw on lid that nuts come in. The have hand holds on the side so I can place them on a shelf with parts in them and grab the one I need. Also works for dipping water or liquids.
turfa

Postby Conscious » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:17 am

oooh, Cat litter buckets. I've made some self-watering containers out of those. Very useful in the garden.

link = https://www.google.com/search?q=self+water+containers&biw=1708&bih=755&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=b9bBVOXXA4qlgwStk4KgDg&ved=0CDEQsAQ&dpr=0.8

Someone mentioned some tubes that "a certain kind of lunchmeat" comes in... man oh man... I probably not ought to google "meat in a tube" again. there was apparently a loaf meats that'd been put together in just such a way to make a creepy face.
Everyday, Become More than you were yesterday
Everyday, Believe in your soul's potential.
Everyday, Raise your Conscious.
Conscious

Postby FussyOldHen » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:20 am

A clean Worcestershire bottle makes a good pestal for grinding things like graham crackers into crumbs.

Smucker's jam jars for freezer jam. Jars of all kinds for seeds, screws, nuts, nails, etc.

Quart yogurt containers for pre-starting plants that tend to grow fast, like squash, for scooping out duck feed and oyster shell for hens, for scooping natural fertilizers for mixing, for lumps of pitch (break into smaller chunks while they're still soft).

'Quart' mayo jars: Some garden catalogs (esp Bountiful Gardens) sell seeds of less-than-usual crops, like varieties of quinoa, amaranth, wheat, non-hybrid oilseed sunflowers, oilseed radish, hull-less oats, etc, but most only in small amounts. Sow them one year in a small bed, collect the seed, dry carefully and store in mayo jars for planting next year. Also good for grains & seeds from the bulk bins.

Better Than Bouillon jars (glass) -- I LOVE these! Perfect for storing herbs and spices, and they stack well because they're almost as broad as they are tall (8 oz =2.75 x 3" h; 12 oz = 3.5 x 3.75" h). Pour hot water IN them for a while, then peel off the labels while the glue is warm (soaking on the outside takes longer). When empty, the small one fits inside the larger one. (The larger jars are usually available at Costco, restaurant supply places, & online.)

Empty cold cereal boxes: If you store your food supply by date, don't bother shifting the containers around, just flatten a box, tear off the flaps from both ends, rip or cut down the seam, fold inside-out, slide between the foods and write your dates on the part sticking out. Then just move the cards as you rotate your food, not the containers.

Regular cans + cardboard egg cartons - I pour grease into cans for storage during the warm part of the year and refrigerate. When fall comes, I melt the grease and pour into the egg carton wells, when cool tear them into individual firestarters & drop them into gallon Ziplocks. I refrigerate mine due to scavenging pets who think meat grease is a real treat. :drool:

Bleach jugs, cut properly, make good scoops.

The water I buy in gallon containers are in the clear plastic ones. If one gets damaged or leaky, I just cut a big X on the bottom, spread them out like wings, and place over frost-delicate veggie plantings as a mini greenhouse. I set rocks on the outside flaps so the don't blow away, and if there's room, I set black-painted rocks inside to retain some heat. If frost threatens, put the lid on, otherwise not. Here in the PNW, I can leave them on all day.

I have an old Honey Bear squeeze container that I use for dish detergent- it's small enough to not get in the way.

Cracked or handle-less buckets drilled to make drip irrigation. If they only drip very slowly, float a piece of wood or a waxy leaf so the creatures don't drown, or cover with mesh so they can't get in.

Those 6 oz lunchmeat containers make good seed starters if you only want a few plants, like 6 lettuce plants a week.

Those plastic tarp-like feed bags are good for holding a supply of twigs and small branches for the emergency rocket stove, or just kindling.

Red clay bricks broken in half: you need two of them to make a mortarless brick rocket stove. If you've got more than two, you can show a neighbor how to make one.
FussyOldHen

Postby arkieready » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:37 am

Fussy, the water jug idea for delicate plants is great. The flaps!! I have always cut off the bottom and they blow off. Smart.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready

Postby Anna » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:37 am

I love the popcorn tins to store preps. I defy any mouse to chew through one of those. I watch for them at garage sales and can usually pick them up for 25¢ to 50¢. I always check inside for rust. They are still usable with rust, but I don't like to use them for food.

I use margarine or cool whip lids upside down on the counter for spoon rests. They also work to put eggs on to keep them from rolling off the counter.

The 5 quart ice cream buckets get used for many different things including storage, scrub buckets, for soaking laundry, picking containers in the garden, container for kitchen scrapes for compost, clothes pin container. Dh is diabetic so I no longer buy ice cream so ask others to save their buckets for me.

Glass jars with wider mouths are saved to use for leftovers. I like glass as you can see at a glance what's in the fridge. I also use the glass jars for dehydrated produce.

I have a collection of old trays that I use in the fall for tomatoes that need to finish ripening. It also keeps the mess at a minimum if a tomato spoils and makes it easy to move a bunch of tomatoes from one place to another.

I acquire 3 and 5 gallon buckets from the grocery store bakery for storage of preps. A lot of times the buckets are free although I often pay $1 for one. I've purchased gama lids for quite a few buckets which make them easier to access. Buckets are also used for picking garden produce, hauling water and as scrub buckets. I've been told a mouse will chew through plastic but I've not had that happen.
Anna

Postby angie_nrs » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Anna wrote:I've been told a mouse will chew through plastic but I've not had that happen.

Hubby had a hole chewed right through his thick black plastic gun case while he was out hunting. It had only been sitting in the bunk house for a day so it didn't take him very long to do it. But, that was a squirrel, not a mouse. So mice aren't the only things you have to worry about getting into your stuff. I've never heard of a mouse getting into a food grade bucket......perhaps it's possible?
angie_nrs

Postby Anna » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:34 pm

I'm in my pantry daily and my nose usually tells me immediately if a mouse is in there. We also keep both snap and sticky traps set at all times. This is the first fall/winter that we haven't had a mouse (or many mice). I don't currently have mouse poison in the attached garage, but usually do. Dh spray foamed every tiny crack between the basement and the garage which is where mice were coming in so maybe that's finally solved our decades long mouse problem.

In my preps I have a bucket labeled - mouse traps. I have both kinds of traps and poison in the bucket. In a SHTF situation I don't want to be lacking in ways to protect my home from vermin. Now I need to buy a couple live traps for varmints that create problems outside. I will "live" trap, but the varmints will not exit alive. Live is in case I catch the neighbors cats. I've been trying to coin a new word that covers both vermin and varmints. I can't decide between vermit and varmin. I also need to find a way to deter voles who do a huge amount of damage to my root crops. There are a large number of feral cats in our neighborhood which I'd hoped would keep voles and rabbits in check, but they haven't.

I really like the gallon glass jars for storing rice and pasta and nab everyone I see. They don't show up often at garage sales. I have bought several boxes of half gallon Ball jars that work, but they are pricy. I also have a number of old half gallon jars that I use for dry storage.

When I have a canning jar fail to seal I use a Sharpie marker to put a | on the bottom of the jar. If it fails again, I change that to a X so the jar doesn't accidentally get used again for canning. I then use the jar for dry storage. I had been discarding the jars until I came up with this system.
Anna

Postby jimLE » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:42 pm

i've started keeping some of my plastic jars full of water,and in the freezer and fridge,for 2 reasons.1 is that allows them to stay cold longer,in which that at least cuts down on the electric bill some what.2nd reason.is they are already there when a power outage..i also have a few things of blue ice,in which i do the same with them as well...
jimLE

PreviousNext

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle