• Advertisement

Coffee Grounds Fire Logs

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

Coffee Grounds Fire Logs

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Oh boy! My husband is going to kill me! SOMEthING ELSE for me to save, now! I am so going to try this. I already save all my candle ends and the bottom leftover wax that doesn't burn in my jar candles.

How to Make a Fireplace Log Using Coffee Grounds
http://www.ehow.com/how_4866384_make-lo ... ounds.html

Buying wood and logs for a fireplace can be expensive. A fireplace log can be made out of coffee grounds using only a few common ingredients. These logs have the scent of fresh roasted coffee, are inexpensive to make, and can be prepared in a few hours. This recipe produces one small fireplace log.

Things You'll Need

Taper candles
    Molasses
    Bread pan
    Coffee grounds

Mixing bowl
    Wire whisk
    Aluminum foil
    Knife

Place two and a half 12-by-1 inch taper candles and 2 cups of molasses in the bread pan. Add 6 tbsp. of coffee grounds to a metal mixing bowl.

Preheat oven to 260-degrees Fahrenheit. Put both containers in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the wax is melted.

Stir the liquid wax and molasses with a small, old wire whisk. Mixing these ingredients can permanently mar the metal, so be sure to use an old whisk you no longer need.

Add the coffee grounds to the wax and molasses slowly, stirring as you pour. Fizzing may occur if the coffee grounds still contain moisture. Stir until all grounds are coated and glossy in appearance.

Place aluminum foil over the top of the pan. Compress the wax mixture by pushing down on it with your hands. Remove the foil and place the pan in the freezer for 1 hour.

Cut around the edges of the log using a sharp knife. Then pry it out using a fork or knife. You might have to bang it against a hard surface to release it from the pan. Place the new log on the fire and ignite using newspaper.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Coffee Grounds Fire Logs

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Here's another way, using a paper cup:

Java Fire Log in a Used Paper Coffee Cup
http://www.instructables.com/id/Java-Fi ... offee-Cup/
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:05 pm

I burn between three and four cords of firewood in my wood stove over a winter. That stack is about the size of a small school bus. It is all free. I just have to cut, split, and stack it. Using coffee grounds, I would have buy about 20 Starbuck's franchises. That, or drink one heck of a lot more coffee.
Good idea, RM, but I'll stick to trees.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby oldasrocks » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:51 am

As a novelty smell it would be interesting. Practical? No, you would burn more fuel than you would save in making them.

BTW, If you don't have a whisk do NOT use a blender for the wax.

Reb, in your case you should try using chicken feathers mixed with the wax. Grind the feathers and mix in melted wax. Pour the mixture into chicken shaped molds. They will make nice Christmas presents for those on your list you do not like anyway. I'd be more than happy to send you a box of wet feathers when we butcher.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle