• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

The off grid survival cabin

Long Term/Short Term Survival Shelters. Constructions tips and ideas.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72

The off grid survival cabin

Postby Whisper » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:24 pm

I've been on many sites and have learned so much from people that posted what they have done. I think it inspires people. Some of the best posts that I have seen were from people who posted pictures of cabins in the back woods and told us what they did and how they did it. If anyone has done this here, Please show us of some pics and tell us what you've done. Inspire us! :D
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The off grid survival cabin

Postby Phelan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:01 am

if you can wait a bit, I will have an entire series on this in the late spring.
Phelan
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby Alaska Rose » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:33 am

Okay, I will see if I can find the pictures of the earthbermed half underground log cabin I built 20 years ago. My first building experience, it is still there and easy to heat, hard to see and comfy.
This cabin is 25 x 25 at the foor level, then 3 feet up on the underground section, along both sides I added a storage area about 3 feet deep. Since it is underground, it doesn't show from outside. The loft is free hanging from chains around the ridgepole, the drawback being the ridgepole going down the middle of the loft, LOL. It was my first building attempt, after all.

https://www.createspace.com/4043866

Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and my autobiography all in one.

Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Vina8 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:44 am

I would like to see that, Rose. Thanks.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

V8

Vina8's blog: http://ncpreppers.com/
Vina8's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ncpreppers
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:49 am

Sweet, I can't wait to see both Phelan and Alaska Rose shelters.
I have to ask Alaska Rose a question. Since I love the subject of earth-bermed. I sounds like you built that section with logs as well? I've read about these. Do you have any water problems? How did you waterproof it?
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:29 am

I built the whole thing with logs I salvaged while building the road in to the area. The back of the building is 14 feet into bedrock, it is on a vvery steep hill. The floor is chipped out of solid rock, then sand raked over it, and a heavy vapor barrier put down, and carpet over it for the first few years, worked fine. I used a lot of heavy duty plastic for multiple layers of water diversion around the building. As I would get a few logs high, I would put plastic against the wall, add insulation board and more plastic, then cardboard boxes to protect the plastic from sharp rocks when I pushed dirt back to that level. I had never built before and was a total wuss on a ladder, so kept the whole place at ground level as I built the walls up. There are so many layers of plastic going up the outside of that place, i couldn't begin to make a final count. By the time I got to the roof level, I was spreading the plastic out the full 20 foot width away from the sides of the building. I was newly widowed and finishing up this project was my way of fighting through grief. I also learned to operate a backhoe doing this jjob, a fellow loaned me one, thinking I would not be able to use it, LOL. Surprise! I only had it a few days, so did the digging out the building site and the floor and a sewer line across the future driveway. That line emptied into an outhouse I had built there, previously. The ceiling is made of peeled spruce poles, laid across the ridgepole and purlins and outside walls, over the top layer of plastic and out a ways. I put nailer boards over the poles, and put cdx plywood over that, then had a guy come in and spray foam over the whole roof. I had placed some 2x4s angled to divert water towards the front and sides from the back, also, that were foamed in to make a raised ridge. The foam on the roof and the chimneys were the only new items used in construction, other than nails. The windows were bought used, are triple pane, $50 each. I have a total of about $2500.00 into the place. The door was from the recycle center, more commonly known as the Dump.

How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and my autobiography all in one.

Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:40 pm

Alaska Rose wrote:I built the whole thing with logs I salvaged while building the road in to the area. The back of the building is 14 feet into bedrock, it is on a vvery steep hill. The floor is chipped out of solid rock, then sand raked over it, and a heavy vapor barrier put down, and carpet over it for the first few years, worked fine. I used a lot of heavy duty plastic for multiple layers of water diversion around the building. As I would get a few logs high, I would put plastic against the wall, add insulation board and more plastic, then cardboard boxes to protect the plastic from sharp rocks when I pushed dirt back to that level. I had never built before and was a total wuss on a ladder, so kept the whole place at ground level as I built the walls up. There are so many layers of plastic going up the outside of that place, i couldn't begin to make a final count. By the time I got to the roof level, I was spreading the plastic out the full 20 foot width away from the sides of the building. I was newly widowed and finishing up this project was my way of fighting through grief. I also learned to operate a backhoe doing this jjob, a fellow loaned me one, thinking I would not be able to use it, LOL. Surprise! I only had it a few days, so did the digging out the building site and the floor and a sewer line across the future driveway. That line emptied into an outhouse I had built there, previously. The ceiling is made of peeled spruce poles, laid across the ridgepole and purlins and outside walls, over the top layer of plastic and out a ways. I put nailer boards over the poles, and put cdx plywood over that, then had a guy come in and spray foam over the whole roof. I had placed some 2x4s angled to divert water towards the front and sides from the back, also, that were foamed in to make a raised ridge. The foam on the roof and the chimneys were the only new items used in construction, other than nails. The windows were bought used, are triple pane, $50 each. I have a total of about $2500.00 into the place. The door was from the recycle center, more commonly known as the Dump.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Doing that on your own, Now That's Impressive! What a determined women and her boy toy can do. :thumbsup: I can't wait for the pics! Now this is inspirational. I have been wondering if I could operate a backhoe. Now I have too. The pressure is on. :tank: Ok, we need some power tools and earth mover icons added to the right ------>>>
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:42 am

LOL, the boy in the pic above is my 14 year old grandson. He only got old enough to help when I was given some old Jamesway panels and used them for a floor so they wouldn't rot and the price was right. He was 8 when we put in the floor panels. I learned to operate a road grader and a large dozer on that project, too. If you think that place is impressive, you ought to see what I have been up to lately. LOL.

What types of other pictures did you want to see of the projects?

As for learning to operate equipment, the best way is without anyone around to yell at you. Myself, I wore a 44 mag while learning and the old geezer that wandered by thought better of commenting.

Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:18 am

Alaska Rose wrote:LOL, the boy in the pic above is my 14 year old grandson. He only got old enough to help when I was given some old Jamesway panels and used them for a floor so they wouldn't rot and the price was right. He was 8 when we put in the floor panels. I learned to operate a road grader and a large dozer on that project, too. If you think that place is impressive, you ought to see what I have been up to lately. LOL.

What types of other pictures did you want to see of the projects?

As for learning to operate equipment, the best way is without anyone around to yell at you. Myself, I wore a 44 mag while learning and the old geezer that wandered by thought better of commenting.

A road grader and a large dozer! :eek: The Pressure is on now... I love my S&W 44 Mag. Ok I'm getting a divorce. Will you marry me? :ilove: :D

Any pics would be great. Before, during, after, Equipment... Anything that might have gave you trouble and what you did to sole it. That could save people time. We could save lots of time and money from your example.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Whisper » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:20 am

Rose,

Did you operate the crane to place those Monster logs? It looks Great.
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Hansel1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:28 am

Alaska Rose wrote:Okay, I will see if I can find the pictures of the earthbermed half underground log cabin I built 20 years ago. My first building experience, it is still there and easy to heat, hard to see and comfy.
This cabin is 25 x 25 at the foor level, then 3 feet up on the underground section, along both sides I added a storage area about 3 feet deep. Since it is underground, it doesn't show from outside. The loft is free hanging from chains around the ridgepole, the drawback being the ridgepole going down the middle of the loft, LOL. It was my first building attempt, after all.

Like the picture, just remember to paint the smoke stack white so it blends in with the white tree trunks. Nothing worse then a shiny smoke stack that reflects sun..it can be seen for miles and miles and gives away a perfectly hidden location.

John
Hansel1

Postby Alaska Rose » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:02 am

This smoke stack can only be seen from an airplane unless you are using a spotting scope on top the mountains clear across the whole valley. This is built into the side of an extremely steep hillside.

I built at ground level all the way up, since I was such a coward about ladders and didn't have assistance most of the time. I would place the vapor barrier and insulation for that layer as I rolled each log into place. I used a Case 310 Dozer to roll the logs onto the side walls, then a sort of lever/pulley system to raise each end to put the next log under it, on the peak ends. No crane was used in the construction of this cabin, LOL.

Image Image

This backhoe was not the one I used on that cabin, I bought it too late for that. I only had a loaner backhoe for a few days on the cabin site to learn and chip out the building area and sewer line. A backhoe would have simplified raising the logs. This dozer is the Mother's Day present from my husband one year, but I had to learn to operate it on the road I built going in to the cabin site. Wasn't a pretty job at the start, but it isn't that hard or that big a deal to learn either one.

Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:03 pm

Alaska Rose wrote:This smoke stack can only be seen from an airplane unless you are using a spotting scope on top the mountains clear across the whole valley. This is built into the side of an extremely steep hillside.

I built at ground level all the way up, since I was such a coward about ladders and didn't have assistance most of the time. I would place the vapor barrier and insulation for that layer as I rolled each log into place. I used a Case 310 Dozer to roll the logs onto the side walls, then a sort of lever/pulley system to raise each end to put the next log under it, on the peak ends. No crane was used in the construction of this cabin, LOL.

Image Image

This backhoe was not the one I used on that cabin, I bought it too late for that. I only had a loaner backhoe for a few days on the cabin site to learn and chip out the building area and sewer line. A backhoe would have simplified raising the logs. This dozer is the Mother's Day present from my husband one year, but I had to learn to operate it on the road I built going in to the cabin site. Wasn't a pretty job at the start, but it isn't that hard or that big a deal to learn either one.

Ah, Guys... I think were getting beat by a girl. :? And she's using our toys! :shock:

Way to go Rose! :thumbsup:
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:31 pm

Alaska Rose kicks butt! You boys pay attention and you might learn something. :floppytongue: (Okay, you all teach me stuff everyday-but I don't drive a dozer or shoot and stuff bears.) :surrender:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

V8

Vina8's blog: http://ncpreppers.com/
Vina8's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ncpreppers
Vina8

Postby Alaska Rose » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:06 am

See what happens when you let a woman play with the toys? If you can drive a standard shift vehicle in city traffic, operating one of these toys is almost easy. Plus, most of the newer ones have automatic transmissions, even and hydraulic everything else. Electric starters is a plus, too. Don't let the size of the equipment intimidate you, nothing is going to stay in your way once you get moving, LOL.

Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Next

Return to Survival Shelters