• Advertisement

Anybody been through Navy bootcamp?

If you are retired or active duty military, APN salutes you for your service. This is your place to share your thoughts, ideas, experiences and skills.

Moderators: mmpaints, BATTLEBOY SURPLUS

Anybody been through Navy bootcamp?

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Anybody been through Navy bootcamp? From what I've heard you get some rudimentary training with firearms and you have to pass a qualification test but most of your training is in other stuff.
Photon Guy

Re: Anybody been through Navy bootcamp?

Postby Dirk Williams » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:38 pm

1975, San Diego NTC, company 028. The last training cycle to carry the lead barreled 03-a3.

To answer your question, we did shoot, the M-16 and the 1911. Minimal training, the rifles and pistols were so clapped out, it was a joke. I did two tours, don't recall ever picking another military weapon up,or qualifying after boot camp.

I can't speak for what the tadpoles train with these days.didnt navy boot camp get sent to NTC Great Lakes?

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby sageprice » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:44 pm

Got more training on ship than boot camp. Vietnam war and they pushed us through in 7 weeks
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Northern Freeman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Very minimal training when I went through, got all my training afterwards.
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:06 pm

From what I know if you go into a career in law enforcement and attend the Police Academy you get a week and a half of firearms training and you have to qualify every year. While that might be very marginal Im getting the impression that police officers get more firearms training at the Academy than people going through Navy bootcamp.
Photon Guy

Postby Northern Freeman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:30 am

Think about the Navy's mission and it makes more sense. The people required to use firearms are taught after boot camp. A lot of time is spent on shipboard firefighting, since there is usually no where to retreat to if your ship/home is burning. How many of the Police Academy are taught to preform team shipboard and aircraft firefighting since most of them will never see the end of a fire hose. The same thing goes for the Sailor and small arms training.
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman

Postby Photon Guy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:15 pm

Northern Freeman wrote:Think about the Navy's mission and it makes more sense. The people required to use firearms are taught after boot camp. A lot of time is spent on shipboard firefighting, since there is usually no where to retreat to if your ship/home is burning. How many of the Police Academy are taught to preform team shipboard and aircraft firefighting since most of them will never see the end of a fire hose. The same thing goes for the Sailor and small arms training.

Right, that makes sense. As for people who do use small arms in the Navy I take it they learn most of that in A school or C school. When I think of small arms use in the Navy I think mostly of SEALS although they make up a very small percentage although Im sure theres other jobs in the Navy that involve regular use of small arms.

So anyway, Im also wondering about A school and C school. I do know you do A school first and then for further training you would go to C school. So does A school start immediately after graduation from boot camp? What about if you're going into the reserves? And during boot camp and A and C school, what do you do on the weekends?

And how about holidays? From what I know about boot camp it runs on holidays but how about A or C school?
Photon Guy

Postby angie_nrs » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:19 pm

Photon Guy wrote:So anyway, Im also wondering about A school and C school. I do know you do A school first and then for further training you would go to C school. So does A school start immediately after graduation from boot camp? What about if you're going into the reserves? And during boot camp and A and C school, what do you do on the weekends?

And how about holidays? From what I know about boot camp it runs on holidays but how about A or C school?

I can only answer regarding full time and not reserves. As far as guns, at least in the 90's, there was one short afternoon of training. Can't tell you anything about it since I unfortunately was in the med center getting treated for UTI. Why couldn't I have been there the day we all were carted through the gas chamber with masks that leaked like crazy! :unsure: At least I know exactly what it feels like to get full pepper spray in the face.....not fun.

Typically you get a week or so of leave after boot camp if you choose, and most do. Then you come back to base for A school and go on from there to where ever your C school would be after you graduate. There's usually a small hiatus between each level of schooling and depending on the length of school, they try to schedule them around the holidays if possible. I was in electronics A school and that was in Orlando (where I went to bootcamp) and C school was at Great Lakes. Don't think just because you are in school you get the weekends off. You'll still be responsible for Duty. I don't remember for sure, but I think Duty was every other weekend with 3-4 days during the week after or before school as well. It's kind of a kick in the pants when you have been up on 'watch' all night and then have to go to school. Hope you like coffee. There is no sleeping in class. If you think you might nod off, you get up and stand in the back of the classroom as they will not let you sleep in class. If you don't take leave on holidays, then you stay on base and take duty, which there will be no shortage of since most others will be on leave. If you are taking a difficult school.....such as electronics, prepare for LOTS of studying. It's very dry information taught by very dry instructors, who really don't give a crap if you pick it up or not. Who knows? Maybe the instructors have improved. On the weekends, IF I didn't have duty and I didn't have to study, I was at the bar shooting pool and playing darts. Thankfully I had a car and I took off with a friend or two to a bar way down the road (Fast Eddies) to spend my time. I got tired of seeing the same people day after day and it was a nice change to go somewhere and not see other Navy folk. It reminded me of home. You'll get to know the area very quickly and find out what is fun to do on your limited free time. The people on base will have great information for you, but don't be afraid to venture out on your own away from base (as long as you are in a safe area). Good luck to you!! :clap:
angie_nrs

Postby Halmic73 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:01 pm

Have been to Marine boot camp. I suggest that if you want to shoot that you will get alot of experience there. I shot almost every weapon from the m60 to the mk19 fully automatic grenade launcher in boot camp and many times afterward. I was not infantry.

Marine Corps moto (among others) one shot one kill.
If you ain't got time to do it right the first time you won't have time to do it right the second time.
Halmic73

Postby eochief66 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:46 pm

Boot camp at NTC Great Lakes, Jan, Feb, Mar, 1966.
All my small arms training was administered by the Marine Corps after I was assigned to a Seabee construction battalion.
All Seabee's are issued small arms and are proficient with the same small arms Marines are issued.
eochief66
New York Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:30 am

I thought the Navy boot camp was in Florida at a 4 star Hotel? Spa's, messages, swimming pools, free bar and such?
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Dirk Williams » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:51 am

Gunn, if it isn't, it should be. U.S. Sailors had a tough go of it. Actually after hanging with the AF, those poor poor men and women had it real rough, every airman in the AF had a issued radio. That was so they could find the BBQ and volleyball games hosted daily by the base CO. :shock:

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby eochief66 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:38 pm

Gunns, in 1966 the first 2 barracks I slept in were WW2 uninsulated wood. Then the new block barracks, with frost an inch thick on the inside of the windows. The guys that slept next to the windows froze their asses of!
Florida would have been nice!
eochief66

Return to Military