• Advertisement

To serve and protect...but for whom?

General discussion about Veterans, LEO and Oathkeepers

Moderators: mmpaints, BATTLEBOY SURPLUS

To serve and protect...but for whom?

Postby Tyreguy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:23 pm

Are you LEO/Military/First Responder? I've got a question for you! And this isn't a simple yes/no kinda thing...you're gonna need a minute or three to sort this one out in your mind...because I'm asking you your personal opinion and/or strategy in this situation. Since I'm not in a profession that would lead me to have to make a horrible decision of this type, I need to know at what point...you would. Have I got your attention?

Place yourself in a social unrest situation. Total chaos. Rioting, looting, stuff is on fire, hopelessly outnumbered by the 'have-nots'. Weather you're a doctor/nurse/EMT, a police officer, fire-fighter, national guard, or even a daycare attendant...whatever your profession, wherever you are at this given moment where you are 'on duty'...all hell is breaking loose. Maybe you've gotten caught by yourself, maybe you're with a group of people and those around you are looking to you for safety...maybe you're with your 'unit' or simply at work...whatever the circumstance that almost instantly would put you in a role of leadership simply by default due the issues at hand.

Ask yourself- and please be honest...take as much time as necessary to answer...At what point- how bad does it have to be/get- what has to happen in your mind that trips the trigger- that you personally make a judgement call to literally abandon your post/disregard orders/risk being fired/or just say EFF THIS!...in an attempt to get home and protect your family...leaving everything and everyone else behind?
Could you?
Would you?
Does your love of family trump your sworn oath to help/serve/protect?
Tyreguy

Re: To serve and protect...but for whom?

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 pm

hardly a new topic of discussion - there isn't a prepper site with at least a dozen archived postings on the subject ....

what you haven't included is the "can't leave" "no option" "locked down" scenario ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Blondie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:13 pm

I've been 2 of your 3.

I worked with guys shoulder to shoulder I would have sworn to you were Ba!!s To the Walls guys. Only to see them turn into the biggest crying, suck snot sissies when a situation went terribly wrong. One guy even cried tears and asked me to drive him home, which I did.

The better question is, who or what am I protecting? People looting & robbing a store blind? Shopkeepers have insurance. Am I going to spend an hour cuddling a Snowflake and driving them to a safe zone after a micro agression?

Don't get me wrong, I volunteered my time during the aftermath of Katrina to help out LEO''s who stayed. My view of society has drastically changed. Most people you encounter as as LEO now don't need help. They need an intervention.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby daaswampman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 pm

I would fall under the FR category as I work in a major trauma center (the only one in town). I will head home the moment I know it is breaking loose. My obligation to my family outweighs everything! I offer no apologies for this decision, and rest assured I won't miss any sleep either!

Times have changed and many in these professions are not treated with the respect they deserve. I think most will be gone the moment they get it! The old saying "You get what you pay for", is not just about money! Anyone worth saving will be saving themselves, the rest - oh well! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Return to General Discussion