• Advertisement

Bug out big how heavy should it be

Discuss Bug Out Bags, Get Home Bags, and Bug Out Vehicles Here.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72

Re: Bug out big how heavy should it be

Postby Bimmerboodle » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Dirk Williams wrote:
We have a couple of down bags from MARMOT and SIERRA DESIGNS. One 20 and one 10 degree bags. Their at least ten years old, yet brand new. After my sons bad experience I just packed them away in a large cotton bag in the top of the gear closet.

My son just reminded me he was using a -30 North Face goose down bag when it got soaked and he about froze to death.

Since this thread started we dug out our bags and are evaluating them for wear and to determine if we should research and purchase a could of newer sleeping bags.

Dirk

send the Marmot bag back to them for cleaning and re-lofting. They have a lifetime guarantee.... Or ship it to me!I'd love another Marmot down bag.
Bimmerboodle

Postby repsfo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:55 pm

I ran across Garvey's book on hiking the AT this morning and sat dow for a bit and read parts of it. I got this book back in my younger days when I was hiking sections of the AT. He mentions in the section on packs that he recomends 25-35 pounds average. His pack started out at 43 pounds a few times because of extra food and gear, and 52 pounds for the last 10 days because it was a 10 day section, colder and he wanted some additional confort items and food and intended to hike a bit slower anyway.
I would guess after 5 months on the trail your body is either well broken in, or broken, one of the two.
Also remember the saying "The more you know, the less you need".
repsfo

Postby DiverDwn » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 pm

I disagree with that statement a little. It means you can use what you find. But we need what we need. That doesn't change. I know I'm being picky, but I would say the more you know the less you need to bring with you. Slight, but important, difference.
DiverDwn

Postby repsfo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:55 pm

DiverDwn wrote:I disagree with that statement a little. It means you can use what you find. But we need what we need. That doesn't change. I know I'm being picky, but I would say the more you know the less you need to bring with you. Slight, but important, difference.

It means the less "stuff" you need. However as I said in another thread to reject some "stuff" just because you have primitive skills may also be a mistake.
repsfo

Postby Anarchy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Back in the day my RUCK weighed 60 to 70 pounds , Today my Daypack weigh's 35-40 top's and i go easly 15 miles a day if needed.... I do a lot of hiking/hunting just to keep in shape snow shoeing during the winter months , Our motto use to be Travel light freeze at night That aint gonna happen with me if i can avoid it and i do at all cost i like being comfortable when im out sneakin & peeking :gunsmile: ....
Anarchy

Postby asatru_soldier » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:51 pm

do some backpacking, you'll figure out what you need and what is extra fluff, you will also figure out the best ways to pack your bag from field experience. there is no easy formula to say what works best, you need to be able to carry it easily and not lose too much agility, a bag with everything you need that causes you to roll your ankle isn't doing you any good
asatru_soldier

Postby PipeHitter808 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:22 pm

I have three main packs that I would consider "carry-on" or a pack I could grab if need be and still be able to shoot n move . One is an E&E pack that holds any vital electronics kit, typically my DSLR, Solar Chargers, spare Quad-Band GSM Phone (Old iPhone 5 currently) as well as a Radio and some other goodies to maintain voice contact and any other electronic needs. fully loaded it weighs in at about 12lbs if I toss my macbook air in it.

Also my wife and I both have Kifaru "Spike Camp" packs that hold ammo as well as the normal "bug out" kit essentials like any vital paperwork copies of passports and our marriage papers and things like that as well as 3 changes of clothing and spare shoes and some food. probably weighs 40lbs.

last pack is a standard SO Trauma Kit. Pretty much any and everything I have ever needed or used during an operation has been put in it to include IV's and the only thing missing is blood for us. All weighed down it is at 35lbs.

Our "Game Plan" always has us relying heavily on our vehicles so carrying large loads on our backs is not in the cards (we hope) especially since we have a daughter and dogs to handle as well.
Part-Time Pipe Hitter//Full-Time Father
PipeHitter808
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby bane5150 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Use a pull cart if BOVs get knocked out of service...You can take alot more gear and you can ditch it if you need to find cover fast. The pack you do carry can be assault gear with this setup. It will also allow you to travel alot further on foot without all the extra weight on your back. If everyone in your group does this as a backup travel plan you can take literally a few tons of gear with 1500 lbs capable carts with pneumatic wheels. I have pulled a few hundred pounds over the beach and it really wasn't that tough to pull but you get more than 300 lbs in sand and you will get stuck. over standard ground (not beach) they pull really nice.
Vincit Qui Patitur (He who endures conquers)
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” ― Charles Darwin

P!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
bane5150
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Previous

Return to BOB's & BOV's