• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

Armored & other Military Vehicles

Discuss Bug Out Bags, Get Home Bags, and Bug Out Vehicles Here.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72

Re: Armored & other Military Vehicles

Postby panzerfahre » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:41 pm

For the record, a crunchie attacking an M1 series tank is going to die. He has one shot to make his death count -- fortunately for tankers, crunchies typically don't shoot that good. But, my main threat isn't the government and very few people have access to Javelins. Hence almost any wheeled or tracked armored vehicle would work.

We discussed purchasing a car armored to level 3. Perhaps we will -- when we can afford it. I am a firm believer in keeping preps out of sight. Low profile. A Saracen, while very cool, is not low profile.
Always open to meeting Missouri preppers.
Contact through this forum.
panzerfahre

Postby compexp » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:20 pm

The_Exorcist wrote:Wasn't going to get so tactical already, just trying to show how economical surplus vehicles could be.
Until the mob catches on, anyway....

As far as the tactical side goes, where you are is the primary factor in that.
A dukw would be better in Cajun country than a Sherman, for instance.

Absolutely - DUKWs would have been the ideal vehicle during Katrina for the evacuations, but FEMA wouldn't let them in to help out.
Sometimes (often) our government is the biggest obstacle to getting jobs done.
Why is common sense no longer common?
compexp

Postby compexp » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 pm

panzerfahre wrote:For the record, a crunchie attacking an M1 series tank is going to die. He has one shot to make his death count -- fortunately for tankers, crunchies typically don't shoot that good. But, my main threat isn't the government and very few people have access to Javelins. Hence almost any wheeled or tracked armored vehicle would work.

We discussed purchasing a car armored to level 3. Perhaps we will -- when we can afford it. I am a firm believer in keeping preps out of sight. Low profile. A Saracen, while very cool, is not low profile.

True, but I think there's a psycological value to having an armored scout car/apc vehicle in that many of the people who would otherwise think of raiding you might move further down the road. You can also keep the vehicle pretty much under wraps unless you have to bug out. Bugging in might not be a problem with it.

What's armoring a suburban run these days?
compexp

Postby panzerfahre » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:33 pm

We were looking more at a Mercedes, but it adds $60 - $110k to the cost of the vehicle.
panzerfahre

Postby compexp » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:55 pm

wow - that's a lot of money that could go for other things in my mind - but each person has their own priorities.

you could buy 3-4 fully armored mil surplus vehicles for that. I realize you wouldn't be "stealthy", but would probably be better protected.

I wonder if any MRAPs have come on the market yet? Or some of the south african trucks as seen in District 9?
compexp

Postby Tom Bergstrand » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Dollar for dollar (with no armor) a Pinzgauer 710M will do you a good job. BUT, if you want speed the Pinz is as helpful as a book on how to read. 55 MPH is screamin' BUT they will go a lot of places.
Tom in Kingman Arizona
Oath Keeper #005181
Kingman Lodge #22 F&AM Kingman Arizona
U.S. Paratrooper
Tom Bergstrand
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby compexp » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Tom, I like the Pinz and the Unimogs - my problem is I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 300 lbs. I don't fit in a lot of the mil vehicles designed overseas.

I currently have a '67 M725 Kaiser ambulance (see avatar pic) and an M715 pickup version on the same chassis. Basically a 1-ton truck sized the same as the J-series Jeep trucks.

I do like a lot of the Mog features, and I think for it's time it was very well designed. I don't know nearly as much about the Pinz but I do know they're popular.
compexp

Postby The_Exorcist » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Unimogs would be ideal, but spare parts must be a PITA, same for the older machines, best to acquire what you can when you get your vehicle. If you can't find a source before you get it, probably best not to go with that one.

I'd love to have one of those Dodge 3/4 ton weapons carriers.
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to its close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences."

-Winston Churchill's oft-quoted warning on the eve of World War II
The_Exorcist

Postby panzerfahre » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:22 am

"Never know when a tank might come in handy," former Mayor Greene, Jericho.
panzerfahre

Postby compexp » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:22 pm

Good thread here about re-fitting an M109 as a bug out vehicle:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showth ... p?t=205071
compexp

Postby panzerfahre » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:37 pm

I've done a fair bit of reading on Unimog's the past couple of days. Anybody here know someone in Missouri that has one? I'd like to see one up close, maybe take a short drive.

That's could be the truck I replace our Expedition with.
panzerfahre

Postby The_Exorcist » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:34 pm

compexp wrote:Good thread here about re-fitting an M109 as a bug out vehicle:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showth ... p?t=205071

I'd look, but I got banned. Not by Kev, either, but by some nasty little part-time mod that thought that advocating ignoring violence to LEOs was the same thing as advocating the violence directly, or some such rubbish.
No hearing, no warning, no nothing, just a slap-down from a mod who thought I wanted to kill his Grandmother or some crazy crap. And the thread showed footage of cops beating people for recording on video what they were doing.
All that tells me is that they don't need or want our help or involvement in anything they do, so I say fine by me.

And if you can get that to Kev, I'd appreciate it.

An M-107? :thumbup:
I'd like to hear more about that one.
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to its close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences."

-Winston Churchill's oft-quoted warning on the eve of World War II
The_Exorcist

Postby knightindullarmor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm

My dream BOV is a Peacekeeper (one on ebay now $15,000 current bid). 4wd Armored truck on an upgraded 1 & 1/4 ton dodge truck/ramcharger frame. Prettymuch looks like an armored ramcharger, but armor should stand up to 7.62 & 5.56. Bulletproof glass, roof hatch with turret for mounting a MG. Originally a USAF tactical vehicle, it's still in use by many local SWAT teams and even some military MP units. Seats 4 & there's enough room for an extra 50 gallons of fuel and a month's worth of food/water for 4 people. Built on an 80's Dodge truck chassis, so spare parts at any part store or junkyard. I figure that here on the east coast, any needed part could be scrounged quickly and easily if SHTF. I can't think of a single negative about this as the absolute ideal BOV. Not as strong as a tank, not as fast as a modern armored suv. But at less than $30k when they show up for sale, you have class III/IV armor protection in a 4x4 vehicle with parts readily available to buy for cheap or scrounge easily - just find a 1 ton dodge truck. Enough room for a family of 4-6 & a month's worth of supplies & gear. I figure about 8mpg because i got 12mpg with a 3/4 ton Dodge R/C loaded with about 1000lbs in construction tools. So reasonably 26gallons in the tank with another 50 galons inside in cans, 76gals = about 500 mile range if some 4x4 usage is necessary.

BUT... $30k (ish) is a bit much for me. I'm pretty-much sold on the idea of buying an M35 2.5ton (deuce-and-a-half) truck. 6x6 & most have a 5 to 10 ton winch attached to the front bumper. Available in running condition for as little as $3k up to about $20k for one that's been expertly refurbished. Or even cheaper at government auctions. I've seen one's listed as "can be jump started and driven off base" go for under $2k. Not exactly 'bulletproof', but being in a heavy steel vehicle where my feet are about head-level with folks on the ground, and assuming we're bugging-out, weapons will be visible from front-seat and rear cargo area passengers, this isn't exactly an easy target for bandits or others with bad intentions. Other than police or military enforcing roadblocks, i don't think anyone would mess with us. Disabled passenger vehicles could be pushed out of the way easily, probably abandoned busses and semi's could be pushed or winched out of the roadway if necessary. As far as defendability, the only thing safer IMHO would be an armored scout vehicle, armored tactical truck, an APC like a BTR-60, or a daggone tank. Any of which would be out of my price range. But $3k to $6k for one in good running condition with a box of spare parts (altenator/water pump/fuel pump/bearings/seals/etc...), a 12 to 18 foot bed with heavy gauge steel sides that come up 2 feet and the ability to haul a small shipping container if desired. Cheap-@ss historic tags and military surplus parts are readily and inexpensively available make cost of ownership very low. And I've seen these things ford 3 feet of water and go through mud that stuck a hmmwv hood-deep. For my limited 'prepping' budget, this seems to suit the bill perfectly. Can haul my immediate family and even help out extended family or neighbors in need along with a month or two worth of supplies. Heck, one M35 would haul my USMC section (13 men) with all of our gear and food and weapons and ammo for 2 weeks in the field at the 'heavy weapons' range. (2 pallets full of SMAW anti-tank rounds, morter rounds, and boxes of 7.62 belt-fed). I don't think I'm going to find a better BOV that will fit into my modest 'prep' budget. And heck, it can even serve as a 3rd vehicle, admittedly, a bit pricy to drive every day, but much cheaper than a rental car if one of our daily drivers is down for repairs. After I upgrade our defensive firearms, this is gonna be my next prep purchase. :)
knightindullarmor

Previous

Return to BOB's & BOV's