• Advertisement

Best and Worse places to bug out too

Long Term/Short Term Survival Shelters. Constructions tips and ideas.

Moderators: Whisper, medic72

Best and Worse places to bug out too

Postby OrionDarkwood » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:18 pm

I have heard the whole ranges of debates against and for locations. I would like to open up a debate to collective put our heads together and fiqure out the best catch up SHTF bug out location for short and long term surival.

Rural
Pros
- farm land
- far away from people
- wells
- usually stocked with veggies/meats

Cons
- usually people on farms know how to shoot
- its not a unique idea
- in larger cities you will have to travel a bit to get to them

Suburban
Pros
- lots of stores to loot for survival
- plenty of houses to squat in and fortify

Cons
- lots of weekend gun nuts with lots of weapons and no idea how to use them
- lots of people
- looters from the urban environments

Urban
Pros
- tall buildings with lots of steel and concrete
- lots of tight areas to keep fighting close
- everyone will be heading to the rural areas

Cons
- gangs
- tall buildings to get picked off by snipers
- lots of places for ambushes

Actually a friend of mine thinks a home improvement store would be the best.. providing you had the firepower to take and defend it until you where able to fortify it. Personally I think the best bug out location is everywhere (i.e. keep moving only stay in a area for a few days at the most)
OrionDarkwood

Re: Best and Worse places to bug out too

Postby dogboy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Of course the answer depends on the which problem you are facing. I would prefer a selfsufficient community isolated by a hundred miles of desert but those don't exist near here. Next choice is a family farm because it fits the needs for the broadest range of s h t f situations. Sadly, my choices are limited to suburban homesteading or joining the starving masses on the road.
dogboy

Postby RogueHawk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:00 pm

There are many considerations involved in the bug-in/bug-out decision so what seems like a no brainer to one might seem ludicris to another. But it is definetly a topic that could mean survival or death and should be near, if not at the top, of every preppers checklist. Imho.

As a single prepper I need to consider that I will be on my own out there, at least temporarily,so my BOL has to be as stealth as possible. I'm not likely to be able to hold off a group of looters for long by myself (ammo is a big concern here) staying put because it's likely going to be like a warzone where I live, lot's of unsavories! But a family/group are more able to defend their location due to the extra hands around to help. But fortification needs to be a bigger priority for them whereas for me I have to be more focused on mu BOV since it will be getting me out of danger. Anyway, great subject. Lot's to consider. :gunshooting:

~Rogue
RogueHawk

Postby Whisper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:47 pm

OrionDarkwood wrote:I have heard the whole ranges of debates against and for locations. I would like to open up a debate to collective put our heads together and fiqure out the best catch up SHTF bug out location for short and long term surival.

Rural
Pros
- farm land
- far away from people
- wells
- usually stocked with veggies/meats

Cons
- usually people on farms know how to shoot
- its not a unique idea
- in larger cities you will have to travel a bit to get to them

Suburban
Pros
- lots of stores to loot for survival
- plenty of houses to squat in and fortify

Cons
- lots of weekend gun nuts with lots of weapons and no idea how to use them
- lots of people
- looters from the urban environments

Urban
Pros
- tall buildings with lots of steel and concrete
- lots of tight areas to keep fighting close
- everyone will be heading to the rural areas

Cons
- gangs
- tall buildings to get picked off by snipers
- lots of places for ambushes

Actually a friend of mine thinks a home improvement store would be the best.. providing you had the firepower to take and defend it until you where able to fortify it. Personally I think the best bug out location is everywhere (i.e. keep moving only stay in a area for a few days at the most)

I think that you are looking at this through the eyes of a survivalist and not as a Prepper.

We prep because we don't believe in looting. Our guns are for defense not for offense. We believe in barter with silver and other goods.

If it came down to a bug-out situation, farmers are basically good people. I would hope that you could find one that you could barter a trade for work and or defense.

I hate the fact that I am stuck in a city/rural area because I know it's not going to be easy here. I would suggest that you become active in your state section and go to a meet-up. Form a group and figure out a bug-out location. At our last meet-up, the group paid a guy who taught living off the land.

If you choose to live in place, you can pour concrete in the walls of one of your rooms for protection. Above all, keep a cool head. The military will be going after the looters and gangs first.

Also, try bringing up the subject with your neighbors, delicately. Get them to start prepping. That can be tough, I have no hope of that here.

There are a lot of good people in the same situation.
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby OrionDarkwood » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:26 pm

Whisper wrote:
I think that you are looking at this through the eyes of a survivalist and not as a Prepper.

We prep because we don't believe in looting. Our guns are for defense not for offense. We believe in barter with silver and other goods.

If it came down to a bug-out situation, farmers are basically good people. I would hope that you could find one that you could barter a trade for work and or defense.

I hate the fact that I am stuck in a city/rural area because I know it's not going to be easy here. I would suggest that you become active in your state section and go to a meet-up. Form a group and figure out a bug-out location. At our last meet-up, the group paid a guy who taught living off the land.

If you choose to live in place, you can pour concrete in the walls of one of your rooms for protection. Above all, keep a cool head. The military will be going after the looters and gangs first.

Also, try bringing up the subject with your neighbors, delicately. Get them to start prepping. That can be tough, I have no hope of that here.

There are a lot of good people in the same situation.

I am doing both, but yea bugging out would me more a survival issue than a prepper issue. I have seen normally sane people do some crazy stuff when push comes to shove. As for bartering with the farmers if I found one that wouldn't try to shoot me first I would barter in a heartbeat.

My question is more if you didn't already have a defensible location or a good bug out spot. Right do not live in a defensible location, I have a bug out spot but I am not sure how long with would be a good bug out spot (way too close to a military base, not to mention its near a gun range where the cops go all the time).

As for the military I am not worried about them short term, I am more worried about the cops disarming people like for the greater good like they did in Katrina (got a friend that the cops ask for his guns because they knew of his purchases via federal database, he lied and told them he had been robbed and they where already stolen. He needed to use his guns less than a hour later when the thugs came calling).

As far as bringing up the subject with your friends, family and neighbors, delicately. A few are on board, the rest don't think its going to happen or don't care.
OrionDarkwood

Postby HighDesertHawk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:34 pm

worst place will be in the cities as there will be an over abundance of people and guns, cops will be trying to protect there own families.

Suburbs will be over run as resources become unavailable in the cities.

But the plus is the numbers will continually be being reduced so few will make it out to the rural area.

Rural will be the safest if you have a group and plan for it. Of course it should be an area that you know and are known in to keep from getting fired on.
Knowledge is preparation.
Best equipment does no good unless you know how to use it.
http://www.roberthicks.shelfreliance.com Thrive Freeze dried food page.
http://www.youtube.com/user/survivalweb?feature=mhum
HighDesertHawk
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby OrionDarkwood » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:31 pm

HighDesertHawk wrote:worst place will be in the cities as there will be an over abundance of people and guns, cops will be trying to protect there own families.

Suburbs will be over run as resources become unavailable in the cities.

But the plus is the numbers will continually be being reduced so few will make it out to the rural area.

Rural will be the safest if you have a group and plan for it. Of course it should be an area that you know and are known in to keep from getting fired on.

Well for now I live in a small town (around 10K people). If SHTF (which in my mind is 2nd American Revolution aka John Q Public vs the government or something like Red Dawn) by concerns would be 30 miles from a major military base and 40 miles from a large city. As I stated earlier the location I am currently at is not defensible period (pretty much in the middle of town) and my primary bug out location would not be defensible for long due to huge military presence. So I am looking for a secondary location and asking the hive mind of preppers their thoughts on the subject.
OrionDarkwood

Postby AlabamaPoleCat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:53 pm

If you are looking for a bug out location to protect you from any war/revolution with the governement, forget it. With drones, satelites, Hale even the old fashsioned recon planes, if they want you they'll be able to find you. It may take sometime but it will happen. We right now are taking out several times a month Taliban fighters on thier home turf in the mountains with drones. What in the Hale is any non military unit going to do to stop a drone flying at 20,000 ft much less a recon plane flying at 80,000 ft. They got camera's that can see the tattoo on your girlfriends ample bossom from 80,000 ft and tell you if it was quailty job. ;) What are you going to do the stop that? NOT a damned thing. With good intel and a drone you are dead, you might as well stay home and at least enjoy all the stuff you've bought to play with.

Now if we are talking colapse, no government, hoards of roaming gangs, tugs and the average ground pounder, then get the Hale out of large urban areas, find a comunity and become part of it, get and make some real good friends.

There are plenty of people here who were in the military, and hunted down taliban and insurgents... they'll tell you you don't stand a snow ball's chance in Hell against the US military. IMHO your local little leauge team would stand a better chance against the NY Yankees. ;)
Revelations: " Good guys win Bad guys lose"

"One of the penalties of not participating in politics is that you will be governed by your inferiors." Plato
Sheep Dogs Unite!

Your god with his hammer loses the final battle. My God wins the final battle. Any questions?
AlabamaPoleCat
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby WyoDutch » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:30 pm

[quoteThere are plenty of people here who were in the military, and hunted down taliban and insurgents... they'll tell you you don't stand a snow ball's chance in Hell against the US military. IMHO your local little leauge team would stand a better chance against the NY Yankees][/quote]

I disagree wholeheartedly.

The Taliban, having no aircraft, no armor, no satellites, no navy, no night vision capabiity, no PX, no commisary, no field hospitals, no Buck Rogers super-dooper guns... in short... nothing but the shirt on their back and a rifle in their hands are fighting the entire American military to a standstill.

The Talibans secret weapon? Courage.

The American military will get a rude awakening should it someday begin to kick down doors here in the Fatherland like they do to the peasants in Afghanistan.
You know times are bad in America when GW Bush's presidency starts looking good..
WyoDutch
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby Redleg16 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:04 pm

Ughhh. Courage? Really?
Redleg16
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby dogboy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:00 pm

The Taliban is being effective because they do not have limits to their brutality. To them, there is no such thing as an innocent civilian. Compare that to the restrictions that political correctiness has placed on our toops.
dogboy

Postby Crusis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:18 pm

The best place to bug out too is any place that the vast majority of people will either find inhospitable, threatening, or imposing.

A desert, if you know how to live there, would probably be a good place. High mountains that have passes which are easily closed off. A sailboat in the deep waters off the major shipping lanes. Way up north in Alaska or Canada. In a bomb shelter in your back yard that is extremely concealed.

The worst? That urban environment. I don't see any pros, just cons.
-- Home Prepping --

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby Whisper » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:04 pm

Crusis wrote:The best place to bug out too is any place that the vast majority of people will either find inhospitable, threatening, or imposing.

A desert, if you know how to live there, would probably be a good place. High mountains that have passes which are easily closed off. A sailboat in the deep waters off the major shipping lanes. Way up north in Alaska or Canada. In a bomb shelter in your back yard that is extremely concealed.

The worst? That urban environment. I don't see any pros, just cons.

Best answer I've heard out of any thread. ;)

Except for the boat. :unsure:
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby AlabamaPoleCat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:21 pm

WyoDutch wrote:
There are plenty of people here who were in the military, and hunted down taliban and insurgents... they'll tell you you don't stand a snow ball's chance in Hell against the US military. IMHO your local little leauge team would stand a better chance against the NY Yankees]

I disagree wholeheartedly.

The Taliban, having no aircraft, no armor, no satellites, no navy, no night vision capabiity, no PX, no commisary, no field hospitals, no Buck Rogers super-dooper guns... in short... nothing but the shirt on their back and a rifle in their hands are fighting the entire American military to a standstill.

The Talibans secret weapon? Courage.

The American military will get a rude awakening should it someday begin to kick down doors here in the Fatherland like they do to the peasants in Afghanistan.
Wrong the taliban is holding it's own (if that term could be used) because the US Military doesn't want to kill innocents.... The US MIlitary has forgotten a fact of war: There are no innocents in a combat zone. Life is hard tough mean it will rip your face off and Poop in the hole then sew your face back on so your burps taste like farts. You sound like those foolish people that think the Tet Offensive was a succesful military engagment... YET the Commanding General of the North said after TET the VC ceased to be an effective fighting force. In less then 2 weeks after taking the gloves off (the Christmas bombing of '72) The North came running to the peace table and said sure we'll talk and have peace with you Americans so you'll leave and quit kicking our rear ends. It the USA didn't worry about how it looked or what the rest of the world though, we could end this in less time. If we turned the entire country into a self lite glass parking lot and told the rest of the world that's what happens when you F*** with us, back off and we won't have to kick your A$$. But we don't do that, that is the only reason the taliban is hanging in there.

For those who think TET was effective remember TET was in '68 the war didn't end until the spring or '73 5 years later that sure as Hale doesn't sound effective.
If you think your AK or AR will do squat against an M-1A-1 then feel free to jump... then only thing that will save your rear end is if the US Military decides to alow it to stay attached to rest of your body.

"One of the penalties of not participating in politics is that you will be governed by your inferiors." Plato
Sheep Dogs Unite!

Your god with his hammer loses the final battle. My God wins the final battle. Any questions?
AlabamaPoleCat
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby AlabamaPoleCat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:27 pm

dogboy wrote:The Taliban is being effective because they do not have limits to their brutality. To them, there is no such thing as an innocent civilian. Compare that to the restrictions that political correctiness has placed on our toops.

You are absolutely correct db.

Sheep Dogs Unite!

AlabamaPoleCat
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Next

Return to Survival Shelters