• Advertisement

Poop Tips-Misc. Discussion

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Postby itsadisaster » Tue May 11, 2010 10:45 pm

In disaster situations, plumbing may not be usable due to broken sewer or water lines, flooding, or freezing of the system. To avoid the spread of disease, it is critical that human waste be handled in a sanitary manner!

Did you know…
…one gram (0.035 oz) of human feces can contain 10 million viruses, 1 million bacteria, 1,000 parasite cysts, and 100 parasite eggs!?

If toilet okay but lines are not…
If water or sewer lines are damaged but toilet is still intact, you should line the toilet bowl with a plastic bag to collect waste… but DO NOT flush the toilet!! After use, add a small amount of disinfectant to bag, remove and seal bag (with a twist tie if reusing), and place bag in a tightly covered container away from people to reduce smell.

If toilet is unusable…
If toilet is destroyed, a plastic bag in a bucket may be substituted. (Some companies make plastic buckets with a seat and/or snap-on lid.) You could also use the toilet seat from a commode and lay it on top of a bucket for a more comfortable experience. (Tip from Whisper: separate lid from seat and set aside so you can lay seat on it when changing out bag.) After use, add a small amount of disinfectant to the bag, and seal or cover bucket.

Disinfectants - easy and effective for home use in Sanitation of Human Waste.

Chlorine Bleach - If water is available, a solution of 1 part liquid household bleach to 10 parts water is best. DO NOT use dry bleach since it can burn you, corrode or dissolve things so not safe for this kind of use.

Calcium hypochlorite - (e.g. HTH, etc.) Available in swimming pool supply or hardware stores and several large discount stores. It can be used in solution by mixing, then storing. Follow directions on the package.

Portable toilet chemicals - These come in both liquid and dry formulas and are available at recreational vehicle (RV) supply stores. Use according to package directions. These chemicals are designed especially for toilets that are not connected to sewer lines.

Powdered, chlorinated lime - Available at some building supply stores. It can be used dry and be sure to get chlorinated lime - not quick lime.

Some other alternatives are kitty litter, sawdust, etc. There are also several types of camping toilets and portable toilets that range from fairly low dollars to hundreds of dollars.

Make sure toilet is near the air-exhaust end of the shelter and keep it tightly covered when not in use. Cover with a plastic bag too to keep bugs out and help reduce smell a bit. And consider hanging a sheet or blanket in toilet area for some privacy, if possible.

Also (if possible) consider digging a waste-disposal pit about 3 feet downwind from shelter if hunkered down for weeks. (Note, if sheltering during a nuclear event, esp if fallout surrounding shelter, do NOT expose yourself to lethal radiation by digging holes to bury waste. Just pile bags several feet away from shelter and decontaminate yourself before reentering shelter.)

Puking will also be an issue. Anxiety, a change in diet, and the sight and smell of puke and poop may make others throw up. (And if a nuke event, radiation sickness can cause puking and diarrhea.) Plastic bags, placed throughout a shelter, are the best means to catch puke and keep it off the floor. Buckets, pots, or a newspaper folded into a cone also work.

Germs and diseases can create major problems and illness in confined quarters so try to reduce the spread of germs and infectious diseases

- Wash hands often using soap and water or use hand sanitizer (with at least 60% alcohol in it) to reduce the spread of germs. But keep in mind sanitizers don’t work against some bugs so it’s best to wash up, if possible.
- Try to avoid exposure to others’ bodily fluids like blood, pee, poop, spittle, etc.
- Sick people should cover mouth and nose with tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing, wash hands often, and wear a face mask around others (if very ill).
- Keep cuts and scrapes clean and covered until healed.
- Clean counters, doorknobs, fixtures, linens, etc. often with a bleach solution.
- If possible, don’t share silverware, razors, towels, or bedding and wash objects with soap and hot water.

Some sanitation items for kits…

- Disinfectant for human waste (see above)
- Bottles of household chlorine bleach (regular scent)
- Personal hygiene items (toothbrushes, toothpaste or baking soda, brush, comb, deodorant, shaving cream, razors, etc.)
- Plastic garbage bags with twist ties and small plastic grocery bags
- Plastic bucket with tight lid (several would be wise)
- Soap, liquid detergent, hand sanitizer (with at least 60% alcohol), moist towelettes or sanitizing wipes, hydrogen peroxide, etc.
- Toilet paper and baby wipes
- Feminine supplies (tampons, pads, etc.)
- Diapers (infant, toddler and adult sizes if needed)
- Disposable gloves
- Wash cloths, hand and bath towels
- Small shovel

(Above extracted from our IT’S A DISASTER! book. Proceeds benefit APN.)

There are other items to consider but again, these are just some basic tips to plan for dealing with human waste and cooties during shelter-in-place situations. Thoughts or suggestions?! (p.s. Thanks Whisper for letting us post this! j & Bill)

NOTE: Since this thread was first started, a LOT of topics developed from the 'Poop Tips'. Those bigger topics were pulled out and we now have several separate threads to help you find the information you're looking for. The result is this thread is now a loose discussion on 'Poop' with misc helpful information scattered along the way. Here are the larger, more specific threads:

TOILET PAPER-How Much Do I Store in My Preps?

TOILET PAPER-Storage Ideas-It Takes Up a Lot of Space

TOILET PAPER-Living w/o it-Non-Paper Ideas to Keep Clean

Family/Cloth Wipes - the new toilet paper!

OTHER TOILET OPTIONS-The Worm Composting Toilet

TOILET PAPER-OTHER PAPER You Can Use

OTHER TOILET OPTIONS-Plastic Bag in Bucket or Toilet Bowl

TOILETS-How To Prevent Back Up in Long Term Emergency

OTHER TOILET OPTIONS-Outhouses & Other Holes In the Ground -k
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download a free mini ebook portion of IT'S A DISASTER! ...and what are YOU gonna do about it?
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Re: Sanitation Tips

Postby mr bill » Wed May 12, 2010 6:20 am

Good post Itsa.
Leader zone 5, Clarke County
P!
mr bill

Postby ReadyMom » Wed May 12, 2010 9:50 am

GREAT Post. I'll be sharing! ;) Thank you! -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby itsadisaster » Wed May 12, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks guys! I'm a bonehead .. forgot to post some poop & puke related first aid items to consider stashing in shelter too. Hopefully most of these are already in your kits but ... Bentonite clay, activated charcoal, antacids, anti-diarrhea meds, laxatives (doubt anyone will need these but ya never know), diatomaceous earth, MMS (for parasites, etc), a slew of vi-tees & herbs (esp immune stimulator types), etc. Also .. a few items for your bum include hydrocortisone cream / gel (cream is more um, soothing and less messy / sticky), he-mee cream / ointment, and diaper rash cream for the little ones. Sure there's more I'm forgetting...

I see something else .. paper towels!! (duh - this is why I shouldn't post things at night)
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download a free mini ebook portion of IT'S A DISASTER! ...and what are YOU gonna do about it?
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby Gen-IL Homesteader » Wed May 12, 2010 11:19 am

Great post! We've got a camping potty. Had to use it when we owned some land in the middle of nowhere. (It's nice to have a comfy place to sit when you need to! :blush:
Gen-IL Homesteader
Illinois State Moderator
Illinois State Moderator

Postby itsadisaster » Wed May 12, 2010 12:51 pm

Gen-IL Homesteader wrote:Great post! We've got a camping potty. Had to use it when we owned some land in the middle of nowhere. (It's nice to have a comfy place to sit when you need to! :blush:

Boy do I have some moments when a comfy place to sit would've been nice - esp in the backcountry. One that's permanently etched in my (and my hubby's) brain involved the side of a dirt road with a steep downhill incline, flip-flops, pine needles, shorts down, sliding backwards ... well, you get the picture! :rofl: Those pesky pinecones hurt... :blush:
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:06 pm

itsadisaster wrote:
Gen-IL Homesteader wrote:Great post! We've got a camping potty. Had to use it when we owned some land in the middle of nowhere. (It's nice to have a comfy place to sit when you need to! :blush:

Boy do I have some moments when a comfy place to sit would've been nice - esp in the backcountry. One that's permanently etched in my (and my hubby's) brain involved the side of a dirt road with a steep downhill incline, flip-flops, pine needles, shorts down, sliding backwards ... well, you get the picture! :rofl: Those pesky pinecones hurt... :blush:

Great post and thread! We have done a lot of primitive camping and can relate...a small folding shovel, a roll of TP, and a tree to hang onto, hide behind, or a fallen tree to sit on and "hang over," all been done.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Wed May 12, 2010 1:47 pm

itsadisaster wrote:

Better than cactus, though! :eek: Those suckers HURT! :shock:
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby IceFire » Wed May 12, 2010 1:54 pm

MountainMama wrote:

Great post and thread! We have done a lot of primitive camping and can relate...a small folding shovel, a roll of TP, and a tree to hang onto, hide behind, or a fallen tree to sit on and "hang over," all been done.

The one that sticks most in my mind was up at the lake where we always went boating/fishing/skiing. We always would set up a "daycamp/base of operations on shore somewhere for picknicking, resting, taking care of "other needs". So, there I was, squatting behind a large bush to do my business, when all of a sudden, I had a cold, wet NOSE on my backside! :eek: A LARGE nose at that :shock: Turns out, one of the cattle that roamed the area got curious as to what I was doing and decided to get NOSEY :eek:
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:00 pm

IceFire wrote:
MountainMama wrote:

The one that sticks most in my mind was up at the lake where we always went boating/fishing/skiing. We always would set up a "daycamp/base of operations on shore somewhere for picknicking, resting, taking care of "other needs". So, there I was, squatting behind a large bush to do my business, when all of a sudden, I had a cold, wet NOSE on my backside! :eek: A LARGE nose at that :shock: Turns out, one of the cattle that roamed the area got curious as to what I was doing and decided to get NOSEY :eek:

Image Man, that could scare the s#*%$ right out of you! What a mental picture!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby IceFire » Wed May 12, 2010 2:31 pm

MountainMama wrote:[Image Man, that could scare the s#*%$ right out of you! What a mental picture!

Back then, I didn't even have the sense to be scared (I was a teen) I was more irritated than anything else. I think I may have even smacked the steer to make him leave me alone. At least I can be thankful that he didn't try to "wipe" for me.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby itsadisaster » Wed May 12, 2010 2:32 pm

<giggle> Maybe I shoulda posted this in the ladies forum -- Whisper's gonna flip!! :lol: And yeah - I agree Ice .. cactuses are NOT fun -- been there, done that! Hiking and camping as much as we do "exposes" one to all kinds of critters & creepy crawlies .. but never been "moooved" by a cow. :rofl:
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Wed May 12, 2010 3:09 pm

MountainMama wrote:
IceFire wrote:
MountainMama wrote:-snip-

Image Man, that could scare the s#*%$ right out of you! What a mental picture!

:rofl: You guys are just toooooo funny. Tears ... I got laughing tears ......
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Wed May 12, 2010 3:12 pm

Actually, come to think of it I have a COW/s story too! :eek: And it was on my honeymoon! 8)

We were in the carribbean, back in the early 80's. A whole bunch of us were taken on an island tour by the bartender because it rained nearly the whole week. The first bright day, he arranged for jeeps and a day out. Mid day, everybody had to 'go'. So, there we were up on a big island hill with this HUGE boulder. Men on one side ... ladies on the other ... and cattle grazing all around us! No one cared ... we were touring, drinking and have a good time. No close encounters of the NOSE kind, though.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Whisper » Wed May 12, 2010 6:09 pm

itsadisaster wrote:<giggle> Maybe I shoulda posted this in the ladies forum -- Whisper's gonna flip!! :lol: And yeah - I agree Ice .. cactuses are NOT fun -- been there, done that! Hiking and camping as much as we do "exposes" one to all kinds of critters & creepy crawlies .. but never been "moooved" by a cow. :rofl:

Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Family Preparedness