• Advertisement
Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

NorthEast Pennsylvania (NEPA)

Welcome! New Members Introduce yourself here.

Moderators: ReadyMom, kr105

NorthEast Pennsylvania (NEPA)

Postby NEPA Prepper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:58 am

Hey all you preppers! I am new to this website. I am a beginning prepper as well. Looking to get more ideas and educate myself to give myself an advantage in any kind of disasters we're sure to encounter in the future. I am from Philadelphia, PA area but now living in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania area with my fiance.

I am currently putting together a BOB bag. Also buying foods from different wholesale suppliers to see which are the best to have (taste, shelf life etc.) before I shell out a large amount of money for large quantities.

Little bit about myself. I am former Military :tank: (Army), was a Police Officer in the Philadelphia area for two years. Now I am working in the Natural Gas industry.
NEPA Prepper

Re: NorthEast Pennsylvania (NEPA)

Postby eric-ash » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:41 pm

i also am in the scranton area ...:)
eric-ash

Postby USAFESP20th » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Best thing to do is buy samples of the foods you want to try, like wise has free samples, efoodsDirect has a 6 piece sample, pay shipping 9.95, there's mountainhouse, you know mre's by heart, just surf some emergency food sites and see if they give free samples. My wife is from Dickson City and I am from Pocono lake, former Mt. Pocono Police Officer and USAF S.P. If you need I will send you a List of my BoB contents, one for my car approx 72 hour, one 144 hour kit if I need to bug out from my hous and 1 BoB kit with everthing I need for a full bug out from Delaware County. My wife son and daughter all have one each. I carry 1 case of one gallon jugs and mainstay food bars, tent, Weapons { Your Choice }, fiskars cutting tools, coffee, water purification with nalgene bottles, compass, backpackers stove with fuel and cloths in my car ect, ect, ect. I do remember the exodus from NYC in 911 I worked close to NYC? Shooter23AF@hotmail.com if you want to email.
DON"T TREAD ON ME!!!! Live Free and Proud, Always!!!!!!

O' Great Spirit, help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in Silence! " Cherokee Prayer"
USAFESP20th
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby NEPA Prepper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Eric-Ash, welcome! I just moved to this area from Delaware County, right outside of Philadelphia. Maybe we could talk more and possibly meet one day to exchange ideas.

USAFES20th, DelCo is my old stomping grounds! Grew up in Upper Darby, lived in Media before I moved up here to the Scranton area. I actually live minutes from Dickson City. Don't want to give away much more, some people on here frown upon that lol.

Right now I am looking to put together a BOB bag. I just ordered two camelbacks that I am going to attach to my tactical backpack. Doing that saves room for other things I would want to have with me in the bag. Weapons, ammo, food, fire starting equipment, compass, CB radio extra batteries. Also I am adding something that I never hear anyone talk about. Police radios. Like USAFES, I am also a former Police Officer. You can easily buy older police hand held radios so you have the ability to talk back and forth. These radios run on numerous different networks using cell phone like antennas throughout the area. They also for obvious reason run on backup generators, so they would be up for 72 hours at the least. You can also program in the channels to your specific route. Lets say you're bugging out from Scranton, PA and want to get to Pittsburgh, PA. You could program in channels of Police Departments(Sectors) in between that way if need be, you always have a constant communication with the Police and/or other members in your group. USAFES, I want your input on this especially, but would like to hear others as well.
NEPA Prepper

Postby NEPA Prepper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Oh and let me just add this. The Police Radio idea should and would only be used in an emergency situation. Having random civilians talking on Police frequencies would not be a good idea in normal every day life. Just had to add that haha
:oops:
NEPA Prepper

Postby EtzCandW » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Pike County here. A police radio is a bad idea unless you are authorized to be on the frequency. Look into becoming a HAM radio operator it is a relatively easy test for the beginner level.
EtzCandW

Postby mikeeden » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:31 pm

We are going the HAM route as well for basic contact between our members. However, we're taking radios (HAM and otherwise) with a grain of salt as we consider an EMP is a very real and easy possibility.
mikeeden

Postby USAFESP20th » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Ok, just read your post, I'll get back to you later, I have been trying to get a Midland GX5000 radio same as the military, 22 channel, there backordered due to flooding in southeast Asia, I'll be up for easter, give a hollar, we'll meet Scranton or dickson, Colarusso pizza in jessup would be agood place to meet, best pizza in the area besides Old Forge!
DON"T TREAD ON ME!!!! Live Free and Proud, Always!!!!!!

O' Great Spirit, help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in Silence! " Cherokee Prayer"
USAFESP20th

Postby NEPA Prepper » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:01 pm

EtzCandW wrote:Pike County here. A police radio is a bad idea unless you are authorized to be on the frequency. Look into becoming a HAM radio operator it is a relatively easy test for the beginner level.

EtzCandW, like I stated above. It would only be used in a emergency situation that would force me to use it. At that point it doesn't matter if you're "authorized" or not. When SHTF a lot of things change.
NEPA Prepper

Postby EtzCandW » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:15 pm

I agree with you 100% I have 2 handhelds with HAM and PD/FD transmit capability however I am a firefighter in Pike County. Hope you find what you are looking for.
EtzCandW

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:11 pm

Welcome to the Scranton-area folks! Our daughter goes to Marywood University. Nice to know there are other preppers in the area, even though I've tried to send her to school prepared. -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby BellePrepper » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:06 am

Hi all! I'm in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area as well. I'm brand new to the forum but not new to prepping. :)

In the past year, I've converted my immediate family and devoted more time and resources to my own prepping. Our BOBs and our short term bug in plans are in place. I'm trying to guide my family on long term plans and supplies.

I'm always interested in learning more and connecting with other preppers.
BellePrepper

Postby PreppingInPa » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Hello everyone, from Wyoming/ Bradford county. Been getting into prepping for the last 1 year. Our flood in September has really gotten my family onboard with how quickly things can go bad whether they are natural or man made disasters. My family questions the preparing sometimes but during small disaters and upsets (power outages) they seem to grasp the importance. I think I'm going to surprise my boys this summer with a couple of weekend scenarios.
PreppingInPa

Postby ReadyMom » Sat May 26, 2012 9:47 am

WELCOME to the new NorthEast Preppers! Please check our state map to see if anyone else is near you! -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ggondella » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Hello everyone I am located jst north of scranton,just kind of started prepping. When I say that I mean I jus started a full dry bug out room.I can use some help when it comes to food choices. I am well versed in weapons and tactical training and survival. But some the dried and freeze dried food is throwing me off. Would love to meet some of you guys.
ggondella

Next

Return to Check In Here Pennsylvania Preppers