• Advertisement

PA: Blizzard on the Way! Ugh!

General PA topics go here

Moderators: ReadyMom, kr105

PA: Blizzard on the Way! Ugh!

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Of course, being the winter lover that I am ... (NOT!) ... I'm lucky enough to be in the dark red 'A' area. :bored:

I'm not worried, because I'm ready. Just worried for my sanity, after I see it all on the ground. I'm a blue-sky-palm -tree, warm-water kinda gal .

Where are you? Doing anything different?
-k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: PA: Blizzard on the Way! Ugh!

Postby rickdun » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:32 am

High ReadyMom, I'm in B area. Our local TV station says 5" to 8" and the local paper says we're getting 12" to 18", that would mean you'll get 18" to 24". I believe it'll be less then that. Supposed to be a light, fluffy snow. So who do you believe. We'll get what we get.

I love winter, snow, wind, freezing rain, bad roads, cold temperatures, ya, I love winter.

No, we're not doing nothing different, we're always pretty well prepared for just about anything.

Hunker down and good luck.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby theoutback » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:02 am

The only thing I am doing different is getting more of next years wood under cover. We might need a little more than I thought.

I looked at 3 different weather stations on line, 3 different total accumulations. We'll no what we got on Wednesday.
theoutback

Postby Stahlrosen » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:45 am

ReadyMom wrote:Of course, being the winter lover that I am ... (NOT!) ... I'm lucky enough to be in the dark red 'A' area. :bored:

I'm not worried, because I'm ready. Just worried for my sanity, after I see it all on the ground. I'm a blue-sky-palm -tree, warm-water kinda gal .

-k

Then what the heck are you doing in cold country :? (teasing)
I have a couple good friends near Harrisburg, but they are ready, so no worries for them. They are putting on the finishing touches today, topping off the generator, cooking, and pulling out supplies they might need. Have to say I am a teeny bit jealous. Was hoping for at least 1 good snow storm this year, but nada, sigh.....
Stahlrosen

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:29 am

The last winter blast so to speak.

Been cold here. Single digit lows, not including the windchill.

Saw a Robin in the front tree this morning. I think they are confused. Will put out some extra bird seed for them.

Other than that, bundle up, a little extra feed for the livestock, and have to free their water of ice.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:15 am

Stahlrosen wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:Of course, being the winter lover that I am ... (NOT!) ... I'm lucky enough to be in the dark red 'A' area. :bored:

-k

Then what the heck are you doing in cold country :? (teasing)

I'm a good wife! Although my husband has to endure a TON more moaning & groaning each year, during the cold months. Our son is currently playing soccer in Texas. I've been threatening to go down & set up housekeeping during training season, which is our cold Jan-March months. He'll most likely be sitting next to the pool, while we're digging out. :bored: -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rickdun » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:48 am

ReadyMom, it sounds like your son is the smart one of the family.

The Fed. govt. (DC) will probably be shut down, seems like they shut down if they call for 2" or more + they get paid for being off and not having to use a vacation day, no wonder people hate the government, I guess they never heard of leave without pay.

CastIron, that's the only thing I hate about winter, having to take an ax to the pond for the cows to get water, fell in 2 years ago up to my knees, you want to talk about cooooooooooold, took me two days to thaw out.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Rickdun, you need to buy one of those windmill things that sit in the water and keep it thawed out. I saw them used in Nebraska a lot.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:15 pm

rickdun wrote:ReadyMom, it sounds like your son is the smart one of the family.

The Fed. govt. (DC) will probably be shut down, seems like they shut down if they call for 2" or more + they get paid for being off and not having to use a vacation day, no wonder people hate the government, I guess they never heard of leave without pay.

CastIron, that's the only thing I hate about winter, having to take an ax to the pond for the cows to get water, fell in 2 years ago up to my knees, you want to talk about cooooooooooold, took me two days to thaw out.

The wife's business trip to DC area has been canceled.

A few years back, the ice broke under one of the dogs into the brook. Could not get out. In I went, snowshoes and all.
That is when I really came to appreciate wool socks. Feet were soaked in cold water. But even as I humped it back to the house, the warm despite wet properties of wool shone through.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby anita » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:09 pm

I'm in A. Of course. (I'm doing my best Eeyore impression.)

I'm in the middle of having the interior of my house painted, getting ready to put it on the market. So of course everything is in the middle of the kitchen, covering every horizontal surface at the moment. I'm hoping they get enough done that I can put some, if not all, back tonight and tomorrow. I can't even make a meal at the moment. Went to the grocery for yogurt etc so we have that, apples and cheese and crackers, if nothing else!

Generator is working properly, wood ready for fireplace insert. One more load of clothes to go and then they are caught up. Filled the chicken's feed in case I can't get out there tomorrow. The dog played with every dog in the neighborhood so she's worn out.

i guess I'm as ready as I'll every be. Just glad that this should be the last storm of the season.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby anita » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:23 pm

That A area within the dotted line--that's labeled "Crippling" on their site. Yep, That's where I live.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Stahlrosen » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:37 pm

Everyone in the "A" zone stay warm and safe! I guess the bright side is, it isn't supposed to last long.
Stahlrosen

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:56 pm

It's even snowin and sleetin here in SE Olde Virginny.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby terrapin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:00 pm

We could sure use about 8" of good wet snow here in Texas.
We haven't had any snow at all this year.
Not likely to get any this late in the season.
Oh well...maybe next year.
terrapin

Postby IceFire » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Seeing that makes me SO glad that I'm NOT in that area any more! Sitting here in the 80 degree weather now, and LOVING it!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Pennsylvania Discussion, News and Weather