• Advertisement
Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

alcohol...

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

alcohol...

Postby Happy Prepper » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:36 pm

Right before a meeting I was reading about the Great War and there was mention that the British soldiers received a small amount of rum, the French received rations of some sort of cheap wine or even a condensed wine, and the Germans received a rough brandy. The issue wasn't any where close to getting a person drunk or even give them a good buzz, just enough to 'brace' each man against the weather and steady his nerves. The American Army at the same time forbade the issue of alcohol...

My doctor before retiring told me that one of the things I didn't do, that I perhaps should, was to drink a glass of red wine. She didn't say I must, but she said it'd be actually helpful but she was hesitant to recommend any form of alcohol to someone who either doesn't drink or very seldom drinks.

Yesterday at a small meet, the subject came up and another party said he was also informed by a professional that alcohol in moderation, has benefits.

I don't have objections to alcohol in the house but I'm way more likely to use it for cooking, some cleaning, and treating wounds or illness.

For discussion:

Does anyone have any strong beliefs in considering alcohol for their preps, not so much for barter, but for taking the edge off, for medical reasons or others?
We can do great things.

Let's start now!
Happy Prepper

Re: alcohol...

Postby undauntedsoul » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:10 pm

I thought about it and alcohol would only be for bartering, in my case. Same with cigarettes. However, given that we have limited storage space (not to mention time/money/energy) the volume taken up by a dozen bottles of drinking alcohol could also be used for medical alcohol and/or boxes of ammo, etc. So drinking alcohol is very far down the list. Also another factor is that it could be MADE if one wanted to (we've been doing it for thousands of years) but you can't really easily make other supplies from just natural ingredients.
SHEEPLE? Gold? FIAT currency? Economic collapse?
This well-researched documentary will likely surprise you and change your opinion about many things:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXt1cayx0hs
undauntedsoul

Postby Bubba J » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:19 am

Yeah, I'd likely only use them for bartering. I might keep one bottle for cooking, but the only time I ever do that is when I make chili. Other than that I'd trade them.
Bubba J
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Ed the Pilgrim » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:45 am

OK, my two cents...(pre-tax)

Learn to brew. If you can brew, you can distill. If you can distill, you can make fuel. If you can make fuel, you can make spirits. Either can be a good trade item, and make you more valuable to the community at large.

Storing alcohol is good if you have the space. It`s a good trade item, and has many uses.

And yes. it does help with stress relief if used in moderation, this is what most medical people won`t tell you. And if your looking for health reasons, beer has more positive values than wine.
"People love chopping wood. In this activity one immediately sees results." - Albert Einstein

http://galtstrike.com/forum/index.php

P+

Zombie Apocalypse due to Economic Collapse
Ed the Pilgrim
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:44 pm

undauntedsoul wrote:I thought about it and alcohol would only be for bartering, in my case. Same with cigarettes. However, given that we have limited storage space (not to mention time/money/energy) the volume taken up by a dozen bottles of drinking alcohol could also be used for medical alcohol and/or boxes of ammo, etc. So drinking alcohol is very far down the list. Also another factor is that it could be MADE if one wanted to (we've been doing it for thousands of years) but you can't really easily make other supplies from just natural ingredients.

Just an idea: Pure grain alcohol can be used for medical, fuel, barter, cooking (making extracts etc), or to take a nip. Medical alcohol is made with a slightly different process so you can't drink it and they can collect taxes on drinking alcohol. It is sad that our leaders are willing to risk hurting us, so they can collect their taxes. DaaSwampman
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Lynn LeFey » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:15 am

Emmm... if by 'medical alcohol' you mean isopropyl alcohol, it's not a 'slightly different process'. It's derived from fossel fuel, and NOTHING can be done to make it safe for human consumption. It's not some government trick to bilk people out of their money.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5574730_isopropyl-alcohol-made.html

When I was in Tech School, in the Air Force, my lab partner killed himself by drinking isopropyl alcohol. None of us are sure whether it was intentional suicide, or if he simply didn't know it would kill him.

I brew beer, and personally wound NEVER distill good home brew. I like my amber ales too much to ever 'waste' them that way. :D

I might ferment some crappy corn mash in SHTF for distilling, though.

A friend of mine mentioned something a few months back that I found interesting, as an alternative method of distilling. Someone he knows brewed a batch of Mead (fermented honey and water) that just turned out bad. He tossed it out... literally, just put the stuff in a 5 gallon bucket in his back yard. It was winter and it froze... mostly. The center of it remained a little globe of liquid. He drilled a hole in it and drained off that central liquid, which was mostly all alcohol, and by the teller's accounts, REALLY tasty (he'd basically just made Barenjager). The water in it had frozen, but the alcohol had remained liquid. I'd never heard of cold distillation before, but it seems to be an actual known technique. This might be a good technique in cold weather months that uses much less fuel.
Lynn LeFey

Postby undauntedsoul » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:28 am

sounds very scientific and logical. interesting.
SHEEPLE? Gold? FIAT currency? Economic collapse?
This well-researched documentary will likely surprise you and change your opinion about many things:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXt1cayx0hs
undauntedsoul

Postby daaswampman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Lynn LeFey wrote:Emmm... if by 'medical alcohol' you mean isopropyl alcohol, it's not a 'slightly different process'. It's derived from fossel fuel, and NOTHING can be done to make it safe for human consumption. It's not some government trick to bilk people out of their money.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5574730_isopropyl-alcohol-made.html

When I was in Tech School, in the Air Force, my lab partner killed himself by drinking isopropyl alcohol. None of us are sure whether it was intentional suicide, or if he simply didn't know it would kill him.

I brew beer, and personally wound NEVER distill good home brew. I like my amber ales too much to ever 'waste' them that way. :D

I might ferment some crappy corn mash in SHTF for distilling, though.

A friend of mine mentioned something a few months back that I found interesting, as an alternative method of distilling. Someone he knows brewed a batch of Mead (fermented honey and water) that just turned out bad. He tossed it out... literally, just put the stuff in a 5 gallon bucket in his back yard. It was winter and it froze... mostly. The center of it remained a little globe of liquid. He drilled a hole in it and drained off that central liquid, which was mostly all alcohol, and by the teller's accounts, REALLY tasty (he'd basically just made Barenjager). The water in it had frozen, but the alcohol had remained liquid. I'd never heard of cold distillation before, but it seems to be an actual known technique. This might be a good technique in cold weather months that uses much less fuel.

If we know it can be harmful, then why is it used when there is a safe alternative. The law requires it. It is about collecting taxes. DaaSwampman
daaswampman

Postby JakeTheBake » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:01 pm

Who wants to hang around if you can't have a drink once in awhile? ;)

But seriously, beer and wine are very easy to make. And as someone else said, if you can brew you can distill.

These are a couple of simple stills that are not difficult to build/use.

How to Build a Still
The Amazing Plastic Still
JakeTheBake

Postby prepper11 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Any prep that has multiple uses is a good one in my book. Alcohol fits that bill. Good for barter, useful to clean wounds or as an anesthetic, in moderation generally good for the heart (although not so much for scotch/whiskey), helpful for saying thanks to folks for assistance/information, steadies the nerves, useful sleep aid, adds ceremony to special events/toasts, can quiet teething babies etc, etc, etc.

After all who wouldn't appreciate a wee dram if one was offered?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
prepper11
New Hampshire Preppers Network
New Hampshire Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:56 pm

I sure would miss my ipa. I brew wine, but not beer yet. I bet distilling would be fun. Besides, i reckon it runs in the family---granny was a bootlegger back in the day. So the story goes.
P!
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Lynn LeFey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:50 pm

daaswampman wrote:If we know it can be harmful, then why is it used when there is a safe alternative. The law requires it. It is about collecting taxes. DaaSwampman

I really HONESTLY can't tell if this is serious or trolling.

Isopropyl alcohol (also called Rubbing Alcohol) is for sterilization. It's what's in alcohol wipes, and that kind of thing. You use it for cleaning wounds, sterilizing equipment, and stuff like that. My husband requires a shot every 3 weeks or so, and I use Isoproyl alcohol on a cotton ball to clean the place where I'm going to do the injection. It's not some government anything. You don't DRINK it. It is NEVER intended for human consumption. The container is loaded with 'Don't be a (Censored word. I'm a Potty mouth)' warnings, most important among them being 'External Use Only'.

You don't tax Isopropyl Alcohol because, unless the person is criminally stupid or suicidal, people don't consume it. It's like drinking a bottle of Heet from the automotive department (which, is also Isopropyl Alcohol... and a fuel-line anti-freeze). It's the stuff you run Alcohol stoves on, for instance.
Lynn LeFey

Postby mountainmedic » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:41 am

I usually keep Vodka (well not in storage.)

It's fairly useful. Mythbusters even did a show on it. It's also strong enough to be used to make herbal tinctures to home-make medicines, for cleaning etc.
mountainmedic

Postby Lynda » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:52 am

Red wine!
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:42 am

Airline antifreeze is methyl alcohol. Yet another poisonous relative of vodka and corn skweezins'. It is made from cellulose instead of carbohydrates.

Sorry, Lynn.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming State Moderator
Wyoming State Moderator

Next

Return to Food & Water