• Advertisement

Recipe/Food Binder - Share your recipes & tips

Post your recipes here

Re: Recipe/Food Binder - Share your recipes & tips

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:26 am

Back in August, when the muscadine grapes were beginning to ripen, I posted on the "What have you done to prep" thread about trying out a juice blend recipe. The instructions were to let it set for at least a month, longer for better flavor. Well, we opened a jar that I processed on 8/11/17. I chilled it overnight and opened it for breakfast today. The taste was very good. It wasn't too sweet - kind of like a watered down store bought juice. We find the stuff at the store to be too strong and often add water to make it milder. This was just right for our taste.

Quick Muscadine Juice

Muscadine grapes
Sugar
Boiling water

1) Add 1 cup of grapes to every quart jar you wish to can
2) Add 1/4 to 1/8 cup of sugar or honey (depending on the sweetness of your grapes)
3) Ladle boiling water into each jar, leaving 1/2 inch head space
4) Remove air bubbles, wipe the rim and adjust lid and ring
5) Process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes
6) Once cool, remove rings and store for at least a month - the longer it sits, the stronger the flavor

For our first batch we used wild grapes. These are often smaller and more tart. This batch aged for almost 6 months in the bottom of my pantry which stays cool and dark most of the time. We both imagined a time, in the dead of winter of a SHTF, that a glass of homemade juice would taste amazing! This is a super easy way to add some fruity sweetness to your stockpile.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:32 pm

Some things that I can/preserve aren't meant to be duplicated or made if the SHTF. I make them so I can enjoy a taste that I may not be able to get if the SHTF. Case in point - kiwi. I won't have kiwi if the SHTF. Now, I know some folks are able to grow it - lucky you! We had a neighbor try to grow it and I think he has killed 3 plants so far - the remaining one doesn't fruit and probably needs a male non fruiting one near by to produce fruit.
On a recent trip to the big city, I found bags of kiwi at a really good price and thought I should put some away. I chose to make Kiwi jam from the Blue Book of Preserving.

Kiwi Jam
Yield: about 4 half-pint jars

3 cups chopped, peeled kiwi
6 Tbsp Ball Classic Pectin
1 cup bottled unsweetened pineapple juice
4 cups sugar

Prep: Peel kiwi. Coarsely chop kiwi; measure 3 cups of chopped kiwi
Cook: Combine chopped kiwi, pectin and pineapple juice in a large saucepan, stirring to blend in pectin. Bring mixture to a boil over med-hi heat. Add sugar, stirring until it dissolves. Bring mixture to a rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, skim foam if necessary.
Fill: Ladle hot jam into a hot jars, leaving 1/4- inch headspace. Remove air bubbles, clean jar rim, center lid on jar and adjust band to fingertip tight.
Process: Water bath canner 10 minutes

This jam is very sweet but if you like kiwi, this will be a delight. The book says 9-12 medium kiwis but it only took 7-8 for me and I didn't think mine were that large. And it made a little more than 4 jars. I just put the rest in the fridge to eat right away. If I run across some more at a good price, I would like to try Kiwi preserves - a little different technique.

Now I am thinking about what fruits I would like to plant on our homestead, maybe I should try my hand at the kiwi. Anyone have luck with it?

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Ramen noodle packs are/can be a highly debated topic in prepper circles. Some folks deem them completely a waste - other folks figure it's easy calories - yet others see it as a base to build upon. I fall into the final category. The other day, I made my Asian turkey meatballs, a recipe I shared earlier in this thread. I decided I wanted fried noodles rather than fried rice. I took the Ramen noodle packet, oriental flavor and went from there.

Vegetable Fried Ramen Noodles

Prepare your noodles according to package directions and drain. Set seasoning packet aside.
In a skillet, add 2 Tbsp of desired oil - this can be butter, light olive oil, canola or bacon grease
Saute a small, chopped onion until soft
Add a small can of drained, sliced mushroom or fresh or reconstituted mushrooms
Add 1/2 cup thawed peas & carrots mix OR any vegetable mix, frozen, fresh, reconstituted dehydrated or freeze dried- cook a little longer if using fresh
Add a Tbsp of sesame oil and the noodles to the skillet, tossing to fry
Add half the seasoning packet and toss well
Once heated through, make a well in the middle and add one or two beaten eggs
Cook eggs in the middle of the pan before tossing the entire pan of ingredients together
Serve hot
Additional soy sauce can be offered

This same recipe can be used with 2-3 cups of cold, leftover rice for Veggie Fried Rice.
You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand - celery, peppers, cabbage would all be good.

Another meal idea for the Ramen noodle packets is a kicked up soup. Prepare according to packet directions, including the seasoning packet. You may want to add more water to make more portions or use half the seasoning packet to reduce the salt. Add any chopped or finely shredded vegetables to the hot broth - kale, greens, cabbage, carrots, green onions. This is where freeze dried meats would be useful - chopped or diced chicken or turkey would make a tasty soup that is super easy to prepare. Even adding a beaten egg or two can make the soup so much more than the usual plain jane ramen noodles. Add a splash of soy sauce and a sprinkle of green onions, chives or sesame seeds would almost be like a gourmet/take out fave.

If Ramen noodles is something you have stockpiled - do your research NOW while you have the internet. There are a lot of recipes out there for this inexpensive, college student favorite. Everything from cold to hot dishes, salads, soups and even main dishes. Many can be paired with your LT food storage.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:45 pm

I harvested my very first cabbage yesterday! Yay! It was on the smaller side, but fantastic. Hubs requested fried cabbage.

Fried Cabbage

2 slices of thick bacon, cut into small pieces
1 small cabbage, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet, cook bacon to desired crispness and remove to a small bowl
In the drippings, sauté the cabbage to desired doneness/crispness
Add salt and pepper to taste
Top with bacon pieces and serve

This is really tasty and quick. If you just have drippings, it will still flavor the cabbage nicely.
If you don't have any meat drippings, you could use an oil and sprinkle in a little Goya ham flavoring.
This would also taste good with ham or sausage.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby arkieready » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:56 am

You forgot the onions! :drool:
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:53 pm

arkieready wrote:You forgot the onions! :drool:

Hubs and I LOVE onions, my dad? Not so much, lol. I made sautéed mushrooms for our steaks last night and didn't add onions :eek: That's almost blasphemy in our house!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:31 am

Friday is usually Pizza Night here at the FP Homestead. We love homemade pizza and it's so easy to make. I do stockpile FD cheese so that we can keep the pizza tradition alive should the S ever HTF. After that runs out, well, not sure if that tradition will continue - not too many dairy cows around here BUT we may be able to have goat or sheep milk cheese if folks that own those animals decide to make some. I make a large batch of pizza sauce and store in the freezer - going to share that with you today.

Homemade Pizza Sauce

1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp mince garlic
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
1/2 Tbsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
10-12 cranks of fresh pepper
pinch of crushed red pepper

Add olive oil and garlic to a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes
Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste, stir until evenly combined
Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and adjust seasonings as desired
Allow the pot to come to a simmer, then reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for about 10 minutes
Separate into 4 small freezer containers and freeze until ready to use

I usually take one out the night before so it will thaw.
Pizza dough can be made by hand, with a mixer or a bread machine - I cheat and use the bread machine. I make so much from scratch that I don't feel too much guilt over using this convenience item. Pepperoni is a shelf stable item - just make sure you watch the expiration dates. We add canned mushrooms, fresh onions and sometimes some sausage crumbles.
I currently use my propane oven but I have friends who prepare their pizza on their gas grill.

If your family loves pizza - be sure to make arrangements to enjoy it when the SHTF!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:09 pm

We have some kind of sickness in our household and I realized that since moving to the homestead, I no longer stockpile canned soups. I just never really thought about it. I used to take canned soups to work sometimes so when we moved and gave a lot to the kids, I never bought any more besides the usual cooking soups. So I made a quick soup, using IceFire's recipe as a guide.

Quick Chicken Soup

2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp bacon drippings
1 small onion, chopped
1-2 celery ribs, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 small carrots, peeled and sliced
1 (13oz) canned chicken breast (do not drain)
1 (32oz) carton chicken broth
a few good cranks on the pepper mill
2 bay leaves

In a soup pot, melt butter and drippings over medium heat
Add chopped vegetables, saute for 10 minutes
Add chicken, broth, pepper and bay leaves
Simmer over low heat until vegetables are tender

I have made this quick soup twice this week - last Wednesday and now today. It helps with congestion and cough, giving you nourishment, liquid and vitamins.

Hope everyone is staying well out there!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Previous

Return to Recipes