• Advertisement

Recipe/Food Binder - Share your recipes & tips

Post your recipes here

Recipe/Food Binder - Share your recipes & tips

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:06 pm

Food is such an important aspect of prepping, in fact many people put more into food than any other prep. How do you plan on preparing your food? What's the best way to cook mainly with pantry and food storage items? How do you plan to cook when some convenience items run out? Maybe you're just starting out with food prepping or you would like to start your own little book rather than buy one.
I have an old fashioned composition book that I keep recipes and a binder with food information and tips. Both will be important reference items for me should the SHTF. I already use them in our homesteading life as it's a new way of life for us - not having a store right around the corner!
I thought the APN family would like to share their wealth of information, especially those of us who live a homesteading lifestyle or those who "eat what they store and store what they eat"!

I will start with Powdered Milk:

Sweet Milk
In a 2 quart pitcher add 1 cup hot water, 1/4 cup powdered coffee cream and 1/4 cup sugar - stir to dissolve
Add 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Fill pitcher half full with cold water and add 2 & 2/3 cup dry milk powder, stir well
Fill pitcher full with water and stir again
Chill and serve

Rich & Creamy Milk
Measure 3 & 1/2 quarts (14 cups) of water into a gallon pitcher
Add 5 cups dry milk powder and a 12 oz. can of evaporated whole milk
Mix, Chill and Serve

Evaporated Milk
In a jar mix 1 & 1/2 cups water with 1 cup of instant dry milk powder
Shake to combine
Equals a 12 oz. can evaporated skim milk

Sweetened Condensed Milk
In a saucepan, bring to boil 1/2 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp. butter flavored shortening and a dash of salt
Stir the mixture as it comes to a boil to keep from sticking
Remove from heat when it reaches a rolling boil and allow to cool a bit
Add 1 cup instant dry milk powder and whisk smooth
Equals a can of sweetened condensed milk

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Re: Recipe/Food Binder - Share your recipes & tips

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks so much, Mrs. FP ... those are GREAT recipes! :clap:

Have you tried them? Is the Rich & Creamy milk good to drink? And how sweet is the first sweet milk? Too sweet to drink? Do you think kids would like drinking the sweet milk? And finally ... ANY powdered milk or do you recommend one in particular for taste in all these recipes?
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:37 pm

I have not tried them, as I do not drink milk (it doesn't do well in my gut :blush: ).

When we first started the odyssey of buying LTS foods, milk was something we purchased for the rest of our family. I read a lot that people had trouble getting used to the taste and it was almost impossible to get their kids to drink it - so I went on the hunt for family friendly ways to use the powdered milk.
We bought the milk powder from Emergency Essentials but I use the Great Value one to make milk for when I don't have any fresh for a recipe. I've heard the LDS milk is the worst tasting but that is only hearsay. I'm sure it is fine for cooking. There is one that got rave reviews but it was the most expensive milk option so I consider these recipes an affordable option to make better tasting milk for drinking.

I keep evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk in my pantry but wanted a recipe to use for the time when they were no longer available.

I try to focus on recipes that use ingredients that I will have on hand in my stockpile.

Hope this helps!
Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Even if the SHTF, life will go on and celebrations will still take place - so why not have a go to simple cake recipe?
This recipe can be found on many a homesteader blog, frugal website and even in older cookbooks. Touted as a "Depression Cake", it's roots can be traced back to War time as well as the Great Depression era and from the method of making depressions in the flour for the wet ingredients. It is also called a Crazy Cake because it has no eggs, milk or butter. Doesn't matter it's origins, it makes a great small cake for the prepper lifestyle.
I recently made a chocolate version for a child's 5th birthday and made a buttercream icing but since we may not have fresh butter, a frosting could be made with butter powder, ghee, shortening or lard but most of the time you will see it simply served with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or fruit.

One Pan Chocolate Cake

Prepare an 8X8 pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 & 1/2 cups All Purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cold water
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Place dry ingredients into pan and combine. Make 3 depressions in the dry ingredients. In one depression add the water, the next add the oil and in the final one add the vinegar and vanilla. Stir carefully to combine and smooth out the batter in the pan.
Bake for 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
Cool and serve as desired.

For Vanilla cake you just leave out the cocoa powder and increase your vanilla extract by an additional 1/2 tsp.

With these basic recipes, many variations could be created using carrots, zucchini, fruit, nuts, spices or chocolate chips.

Do you have a variation of this cake that you would like to share? Please do!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby Stahlrosen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks for these :clap:
I'm definitely going to try the cake. I want to try something like that on top of my wood stove this winter. Once real winter gets here we almost never shut it down, so it is easy to cook on. But I haven't attempted baking yet. Spent last winter just getting used to it. Made some fantastic roasts, stews, soups, spaghetti sauce. So this year going to try baking. Should be fun even if it is a failure. Want to find out now!
Stahlrosen

Postby jean11 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:51 am

This is a great topic, and I know many women, (and men) have been thinking of how they might put together their food collection of long term storage into good meals. Since rice will play such an important part of our meals, I've focused on ways to make it taste interesting and good, such as pouring a can of (hot) thick soup over a bed of rice, or canned stew over rice. Perhaps a can of (drained) vege's over rice topped with Teriyaki sauce. As a side note, if you have an Aldi's market near you they sell a delicious (bottle) of teriyaki sauce called Fusia Teriyaki Asian sauce for $1.99.

I'd love to hear what you plan to do with your LTS prep of rice, or beans, or other easy meal preps.
jean11

Postby rickdun » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:32 am

Here's a recipe my wife uses and is in her binder for stuffed pepper soup, it's for two servings. All items are from our LTS and are either freeze dried or dehydrated:

1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup peppers
1/2 cup onions
1 cup beef crumbles
1 clove of garlic
4 Tbsps of tomatoe powder
1/4 cup cheddar cheese powder
5 cups water

Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for 10 minutes, add cheese powder and let stand for 15 minutes. You may or may not want to add a little more water after it is cooked. I also add some hot sauce to mine once it's in my bowl.

NOTE: When the wife tries different recipes she ALWAYS has the grandson taste it, if he doesn't like it nobody will like it, he'll eat anything.

You can also substitute beans for the rice, we've done that and it's good.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Stahlrosen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:43 am

Another thing I do with my rice is use bone broth instead of the water. Chicken, rabbit or veggie broth seemed to work best.
Stahlrosen

Postby ForwardPreppers » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks Jean, I get to Aldi about once a month so I will definitely try their Asian sauce. I get their tropical fruit, black beans and organic tomato paste when I can find it. It is a very affordable store if shopped right, otherwise you could spend too much on some of their yummy meats, cheeses, chocolates and snacks - ask me how I know!! :rofl:

The sauces that I store are Worcestershire, hot sauce, soy (both regular & low sodium), teriyaki and a few different kinds I find a deal on such as BBQ (I normally make my own), marinades and glazes.

I agree that rice is a major part of most preps and I will share some recipes for it as well as beans.

Rick, thanks for sharing your wife's soup! I will definitely be trying it as we had a good run of peppers this year. It sound tasty and warming.

Keep it coming y'all!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:45 am

Stahlrosen, please let us know how your baking turns out on your wood stove. Haven't heard of that before. I am curious about how a cake would turn out in a sun oven too. If anyone has experience with that, let us know.

I agree that cooking rice with stock, broth, tomato juice or bouillon adds great flavor. I keep all the juice from processing tomatoes and use it to cook rice or dinner grits. I recently made shrimp and grits, making the grits with tomato juice, better than bouillon, garlic, pepper, butter and cheese - tasty, savory and delicious. In terms of LTS, I have powdered butter and freeze dried cheese that would make that doable.

Also, the juice from peeling and coring tomatoes is almost clear so the taste is subtle. Making veggie stock with all your scraps will give you a flavorful start to rice, casseroles and soups. Nothing should go to waste.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby LetsPrep11 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:04 pm

This is a favorite of ours. Don’t know if it has a name but I call it Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken. The meal is easy, inexpensive, and tastes great. Fresh is definitely best but it can easily be prepared from food storage.

Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken
(Makes 4 Servings)

You’ll need:
2 Cans of Chicken Breast
Teriyaki Marinade Sauce
1- Bell Pepper (or equivalent Dehydrated, or Freeze-Dried)
1- Large Onion (or equivalent Dehydrated, or Freeze-Dried)
1 Can of Pineapple Tidbits or chunks
1 ½ cups (uncooked) Rice
Options: Add Sliced Carrots or Broccoli

* Marinate the canned Chicken Breast in a bowl with Teriyaki Marinade Sauce for 25-30 minutes
* Slightly sauté Fresh Pepper and Onion (more if you like your veggies soft) or rehydrate if
dehydrated or freeze dried.
* Add in Chicken (plus Teriyaki) and Pineapple (including juice)
Note: Add in Teriyaki and Juice a bit at a time as you may not need that much liquid
* Simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes
* Salt & Pepper to taste
* Serve over the prepared Rice
LetsPrep11

Postby ForwardPreppers » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Thanks for sharing LP11 - a great pantry recipe.

Tonight's dinner for us was chili:

1 quart jar of home canned seasoned ground beef (ball blue book recipe and Zaycon lean ground beef)

Chili seasonings:
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1 can Bush's pinto beans (16oz)
8 oz home canned tomato sauce

I heat my home canned meat for 10 minutes at a low boil, add seasonings then dump in drained can of beans and tomato sauce. Simmer on low heat for an hour or two.
Serve with grated cheese and sour cream - fresh for now but I have sour cream powder and freeze dried cheese in LTS.

We are quite pleased with the taste and texture of our home canned Zaycon lean ground beef - highly recommend. We were blessed with a bumper crop of tomatoes this year and I canned quite a bit.

Feel free to share your dinner recipes!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:21 pm

So, how much rice do you have in your LTS? Most folks probably have a few buckets. There are many recipes that are served with plain white rice and some folks won't eat anything other than plain rice. Then there's the rest of us! :lol:

Here's a pretty simple recipe for a tasty Mexican style rice that can be served as a side or an ingredient to tacos, burritos, enchiladas or bowls.

Mexican Rice

1/4 cup oil
2 cups uncooked rice
8 oz tomato sauce
4 cups chicken broth

In a large skillet with a lid, heat oil over medium heat. Add rice and stir, cooking until the rice turns white and a bit browned. Remove from heat and stir in tomato sauce. Careful of splatters. Stir in broth and return to heat. Bring to bubbling, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove lid, fluff with a fork and continue to cook on low to remove any extra liquid. serves 8
Variations -add a small, finely chopped onion when sautéing the rice
-add spices such as cumin or garlic

Do you have a favorite rice recipe that you would like to share? All your APN friends would love to see it!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby LetsPrep11 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:48 am

Great ideas! I love everyone's recipes. Here's one for a 'Really Quick' and easy meal.

* Cook up the amount of rice you want
* Heat up a can of Hormel White Chicken Chili (see link below)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hormel-100-Natural-White-Chicken-Chili-with-Beans-15-Oz/45622215

* Meat lovers can add some canned chicken.

I keep the rice and chili separate then just spoon the chili over a serving of rice as some like a lot and some a little. This chili has big chunks of Chicken and adds some real zip to your rice.
LetsPrep11

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks LP11 - that chili looks pretty healthy too with 15g of protein. We try to keep canned chili on hand for quick meals but I haven't tried that one before.

I will stick with the rice theme today!

Garlic Cilantro Lime Rice

1 Tbsp oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups Long grain rice, uncooked
1 tsp kosher salt
3-4 cups low sodium chicken broth (if regular, cut back on added salt)*
Juice of 3 limes & zest of 2 limes
Chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in a large skillet (with a lid) over medium heat. Add garlic and onions, cook for 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the rice and salt.
Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth, juice and zest. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat back to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes or
until rice is done. Just before serving stir through the juice of 1 lime and lots of chopped fresh cilantro. Serves 8
* I measured the lime juice and broth to measure 4 cups total liquid

For a pantry recipe, you could use 3/4 tsp dried minced garlic, 3-4 Tbsp dried chopped onion, bouillon mixed with water for broth, True Lime packets or bottle lime juice for the fresh limes and there is dried cilantro in the Mexican food section at most grocery stores (I use it when I make home canned salsa).

This is a very flavorful rice that my family really likes with roasted meats or with Mexican meals. My goal is to still eat flavorful, "normal" food even if the SHTF!

I'm always looking for a good recipe to add to my collection, so please share if you have a family favorite!

Mrs. FP
ForwardPreppers

Next

Return to Recipes