• Advertisement

April 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep Todayhis Week?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: April 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep Todayhis Week?

Postby ajax727 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:19 am

Yep Reb i was lucky on the nice warm weather for the breakdown and repair . It seems that the past week or so my place has become a money pit ,one lawnmower is in the shop a limb got caught up in the cutting belt and broke it and the drive belt warped a spindle and took out the bearing . The hail storm a while back beat holes in the screens over the windows and damaged the window frames , ripped off a few shingles and put holes in the siding . Waiting on the insurance people to see what they will and will not cover .
To top all that off i am going around and round with the county overlords about putting another septic tank in . I was informed that i have two tanks on that farm (28 acres )and i was not allowed to add one more new county rules suck . i am going to bypass the new rules by cutting it up in sections put in the tank or tanks and then tear up the deeds and put it all back into one section .
I am kicking around the idea of running for a county seat and having a couple more friends run also , we need to get rid of the bad apples in the barrel .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby NJMike » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:17 am

Picked up some incremental purchase supplies like first aid and gadget batteries (regular and rechargeable Eneloop).

I also bought several useful medical references, used and new. For those interested, the newer pocket sized guides were:
Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopeia 2017 shirt pocket edition
Tarascon Adult Emergency Pocket Book (same size)
The Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy 2016

I do have to contact one of the leading makers of long term food storage. I received a delivery this week and two #10 cans were badly dented, and a mylar bag was not sealed properly leaving stroganoff flavored dust everywhere in another box. Hoping they'll address that.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:23 am

NJ, I hope it's not emergency essentials, I had a heck of a time getting stuff replaced, so I replaced that company.

They call me and I tell them I found a more reliable vendor.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Picked up 20 pounds of small red beans, 100 pounds of white rice, 1 #10 can of Mountain house FD Beef and one #10 can of Mountain House FD chicken. Ordered 6, 20 round mags for the M1A1 and 8, 15" green Chem-lights. Put the rice and beans into plastic buckets. This afternoon I'll be picking up the apple trees, blue berry, and other plants that we ordered through the local conservancy. Hope to plant those this weekend provided the health and weather cooperate.
3ADScout

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:06 am

Stacking firewood and planting more blk-berries... Does anybody have any ideas how to sprout cheery seeds ????
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:22 pm

Husband and I got the last of the uprights and crossbeams for the first 2 stalls of the stable in place, as well as some "bracing" boards. After that, I went on a Lowe's run for the 2x8s for the roofing stringers, as well as 20 more 2x4's, and a 2nd "multi" ladder...it can go into numerous different configurations, so is much more useful (not to mention taller) than the 2 shorter "regular" ladders.

Today, I got a set of eneloop rechargeable batteries and charger while we were at Best Buy. The set was a storage case, charger, 2 AAA batteries, 8 AA batteries, and 2 each C and D "size spacers" where you put in an AA battery into the spacer to use it as a C or D size battery. We also got a additional 8-pack of AA eneloop pro batteries.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby theoutback » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:26 pm

This is kind of a strange prep/ mini shtf situation, but I'm home recovering from surgery and will be out of work for at least a month, so in order to save money we are making a strong effort to rotate out food stores. We've got over a year's worth stored so it won't be a huge dent. My wife wanted to clean out/rotate the freezer foods anyways. We had rice based dinners twice, and tuna twice this week. We are going to work in some beans, maybe I'll make some chilli. We need to make some soups too.
theoutback

Postby daaswampman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:08 pm

Found a shipping container to store some of my antique tools, the ones that will be good again in the future! I doubt they will all fit, but it is a start and may clear the air of some needless noise. "You don't need another anvil there are three in the shed! Just pull the truck around and be careful - she's a beauty."

Rotating and using your prep is the best learning tool I can think of!!! Once I started using and rotating my food storage, everything changed. The basics expanded along with my skills. Doing more with fewer ingredients worked and it takes up less space. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby dmwalsh568 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:16 am

Sealed up some of my moderate use electronics in expedient faraday shielding. Separately wrapped old iPhone, a portable DVD player, a Kindle that has my prepping library in it, plus my wife's old Kindle in paper, then foil, then another layer of paper before placing into an aluminum chafing pan, then covered that with heavy duty aluminum foil. Hopefully that's enough if NK's weight challenged leader :crazy: really does have an EMP device....

Oh, and I sealed my last trash can faraday cage with aluminum tape, again same reason. Other cans had been sealed for months, but last one had battery packs that I charge periodically. Sealed for now, until latest crisis blows over or the balloon goes up.

Heading to market on way home to top off some canned goods I used this weekend. I want to be as buttoned up as I can be for April 25th, since it's a military holiday for NK.
dmwalsh568

Postby IceFire » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Started a new batch of eggs in the incubator...the previous ones had "died" when the broody decided she was done sitting BEFORE the chicks hatched (GGGGRRRRR). I'll candle them in a few more days, to see what is developing and what is not.

Bees should be here tomorrow, so prepped the frames...I want the bees to build their own comb, so removed the plastic foundation from the frames, and made a "guide" with beeswax for them to build on. Besides, removing the plastic will make it easier for the bees to get to the queen as they come out of the box. (Easiest way to install bees...remove a few frames from the hive, put the box in place of the frames you removed; remove the "queen cage" from the box and hang it between a couple of frames, and close the hive. Make sure that the feeder is full and placed where the bees can get to it. The bees will exit the box to get to the queen. After a few days, remove the box and replace the frames after making sure all of the bees are out of the box. Then, close up the hive again.)
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby IceFire » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:20 pm

Picked up my bees today! Once I got them home, set the box into the hive body and left it until the end of the day, just before dark. Removed the feed can, and pulled the queen cage. Couldn't really even see her, because so many of the bees were covering it (which means they're "bonding" with the queen.) Remove the cork plug and stuffed it with marshmallow. Got her into the hive, uncovered the hole in the box, then closed up the hive to let the rest of the bees find their way out of their shipping box on their own. After dark, pulled the shipping box, replaced the frames I had pulled to put the box in, then put an empty hive body on top, inverted the shipping box inside the 2nd hive body to "encourage" the remaining bees to leave the shipping box. Tomorrow I'll shake out any remaining bees.

Oh, and I did this WITHOUT putting on the "bee suit", gloves, or hood; without using the smoker; and NO stings whatsoever! It's official...I'm now a "beek" (beekeeper.)
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:25 am

dmwalsh568 wrote:Sealed up some of my moderate use electronics in expedient faraday shielding. Separately wrapped old iPhone, a portable DVD player, a Kindle that has my prepping library in it, plus my wife's old Kindle in paper, then foil, then another layer of paper before placing into an aluminum chafing pan, then covered that with heavy duty aluminum foil. Hopefully that's enough if NK's weight challenged leader :crazy: really does have an EMP device....

Oh, and I sealed my last trash can faraday cage with aluminum tape, again same reason. Other cans had been sealed for months, but last one had battery packs that I charge periodically. Sealed for now, until latest crisis blows over or the balloon goes up.

Heading to market on way home to top off some canned goods I used this weekend. I want to be as buttoned up as I can be for April 25th, since it's a military holiday for NK.

you should go to steel wool instead of the aluminum tape - having to replace it everytime you access the Faraday Cage .... in a SHTF with EMP/solar flare potential you'll be in and out constantly ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Cin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:06 pm

I have been saving up money to do a couple bathroom mods and getting some more cabinetry done around the house (I only work with cash when I have to hire people to do stuff).

After the contractor did all the measuring and telling me what I'd need, Husband asked for a quote to enclose our covered deck. He felt we might need more space because of some minor, extended family rumblings (probably a tempest in a teapot, but you never know).

As such, the contractor started 2 days ago and is now enclosing our 16 X 20 already roofed deck. It's the same guy who built our house and the deck, so he knows exactly what to do. The extra space will be nice, and we've already planned some extra shelving for more LTS, and a bow window for an indoor herb garden.

My mods are on hold, which isn't a problem, as the larger room may serve to make some of them not necessary.

It's been raining for a couple days, our potatoes, radishes, lettuce, and green beans are growing big! All except the potatoes were planted from seeds that had been frozen for about 5 years.

Still haven't planted other stuff yet as we intend to create more raised beds...if it ever stops raining! I have to bless the rain, though - everything is greening up so nicely and the homestead looks fantastic.

The grocery runs have been only to stock up what we've used. The yard sales have tapered off again, probably due to rain.
Cin

Postby Cin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:11 am

Had to go to town yesterday for a dental appointment. Keeping the teeth in good condition is a necessary prep!

Went to a couple yard sales too.

Meat slicer - $5
Tin of German watercolor pencils (for my artistic neighbor) - $1.

Went to the grocery store, where I stocked up in plants for my deck garden:

Roma tomato
Heinz tomato
Celebrity tomato
Poblano pepper
Jalapeno pepper
Bell pepper
Cucumber
Zucchini squash
Crookneck squash
Tomatillo
Parlsey
Cilantro
Basil
Oregano
Watermelon
Strawberries

Because of weeks of rain, we didn't plant as much as we should have, so I decided to buy already growing plants to supplement and get a head start. I want to have fresh produce for when the family arrives for our annual shindig.

All the plants are now in new pots, and it helps that it is raining this morning, they're all getting watered without my help. :)
Cin

Postby IceFire » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:34 pm

FINALLY had a chance to get out into the garden and get some things planted (We were supposed to do some more work on the stable, but hubby was sick, so got to do some planting instead) So, hat I got planted so far was:

Beefsteak tomatoes
Roma tomatoes
Black Cherry tomatoes
Heinz tomatoes
Purple basil
Sweet Basil
Rosa Bianca eggplants
Hale's best cantaloupe
Sugar Baby watermelon
Black Diamond watermelon
cucumbers
Sweet fennel
Greek basil
Greek oregano
Quinalt strawberries
Tomatillo

I also got some parsley, but didn't have time to get it planted tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get it planted tomorrow.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Preparedness Discussion