• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

S-->T-->R-->-->E-->T-->C-->H-->I-->N-->G Your Preps!

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: raggi5

S-->T-->R-->-->E-->T-->C-->H-->I-->N-->G Your Preps!

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:18 am

I thought we could share how it's working out stretching some of the prep items that we are storing. Share the brand name and the results of your efforts.

For Example:

Shampoo:
Brand: Suave Volumizing

Results, after watering it down: :thumbsup:

When I get to the end of the bottle, I put water in it. I'm always amazed at how much suds I still get from a very watered down product. If I couldn't get to the store for a long time, and had to rely on the shampoo I already have at home, I would dilute this shampoo by probably 1/3 shampoo, 2/3 water and still get a good result with washing. I would recommend watering down this product to extend the amount on hand.

Shaving
Brand: Many combined products

I have used hair conditioner for shaving my legs, for years and years. It's one less product to have in the shower and the conditioner does NOT dry out your skin. Not to mention how easy the razor glides!

Now, I have been accumulating lots of little bottles of hotel conditioners over the years, and lots of little bottles of 'liquid soap'. So, I have been combining them BOTH into a squeeze bottle for the same use and it works great!

So, as I was cleaning out our kid's bathroom, when our daughter left for college, I found all kinds of bottles of little girls bath gels tucked away in the cabinet. (Moms, you know how our girls often get these as gifts, but then don't use them!) So, I combined them with either my 'hotel' conditioners or inexpensive conditioner I bought to try and didn't like (as I was testing products for prep supplies). Presto ... MORE shaving 'cream'.

Wonder if this would work for men, in a pinch??

So ... what are you doing to stretch your prepping supplies? What are you buying 'on the cheap' that is stretching your prep supplies?
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

!

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:26 am

Steak sauce

Brand: Dollar Tree - (oke, not 'dollar tree' brand, but one that was a 'no-name' at the store)

Results: :thumbdown:

This A-1 Sauce was very very watery! Not thick at all. Not even close. I'm using it up when I cook my meats, to flavor them, but not using it as a table sauce.

Brand: Aldi's (Again a 'no-name' brand)

Results: :thumbsup:

This sauce was only .99 cents and it was THICK! I could not find any difference between this one and the much more expensive A-1 Sauce. Unless the A-1 Sauce is on sale ... I get this one!
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: S-->T-->R-->-->E-->T-->C-->H-->I-->N-->G Your Preps!

Postby PAfrogmom » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:31 pm

I water down shampoo, conditioner and laundry soap. No one has complained yet in our household. We are cooking more meals focused around the side dishes and not meats- something that was a BIG change for us meat and potatoes people. I also used to buy several different types of shampoo/conditioners in our house and we've now cut down to 1 brand and stock up whenever on sale and make sure to use coupons.
The joy of life lies not in the destination but in the journey. Live life without regrets.
PAfrogmom

Postby Bobdog » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:26 pm

Don't know if this counts or not..

I use thousand island dressing on my salad. It's thick as mud. I water it down so it mixes through the salad more evenly. Dressing is pretty much just fat and calories with flavor so I don't want to use that much anyway but I want the flavor all over. Thinning it down just let's the flavor go all over better.

I also thin down my shampoo to match my thinning hair :lol: Really how much could I use to wash so little hair?

The wife uses my old razor blades to do her legs, I can't comment on why or how it works you gotta ask her.
Bobdog

Postby alanz » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Here's a trick. Time your bowel movements so that you only go at work (and use the TP at work). This will make your TP last a lot longer. :rofl:
The collapse is coming. If you're going to stick it out in the city, then get ready. http://urbansurvivalsite.com
alanz

Postby Silent Bob » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:55 pm

Alanz , that is a great idea . not only can you save on TP , you get paid while using the companies TP . The only drawback is those 3 and 4 day weekends :eek:
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however, an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

SC District 5
Silent Bob
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby juju_mommy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:56 pm

alanz wrote:Here's a trick. Time your bowel movements so that you only go at work (and use the TP at work). This will make your TP last a lot longer. :rofl:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl:

Thats just wrong...
juju_mommy
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby munchie3409 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:04 pm

alanz wrote:Here's a trick. Time your bowel movements so that you only go at work (and use the TP at work). This will make your TP last a lot longer. :rofl:

Too funny, since I try to avoid using public restrooms, but to each his/her own. I think I'll continue to do my business in the comfort of my own home. Heck why not just take the TP from the work bathrooms instead?

The only thing I water down is the apple juice for our daughter because she's pretty young and I don't want her to have all of that sugar.
munchie3409
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby juju_mommy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:33 pm

I water down the juice for my toddlers as well.
juju_mommy

Postby CarolinaPrepper » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:55 pm

I love this thread! I water down lots of stuff for various reasons, but I never thought about it as prepping. I water down juices 50/50 because my kids don't need sugar and I don't need dental bills. I use 1/2 a cap of laundry soap instead of the capful the bottle says. It works just fine. I also get one more load out of an "empty" bottle by rinsing it. and dumping the suds in. My hubby likes tea and we use powder mix. I've been slowly using less and he has yet to even notice. I use a really small amount of toothpate, shampoo and body wash and things like that. I'm looking for as many ways as possible to stretch our stocks.
Mel

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
CarolinaPrepper

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Agreed on the laundry detergent! I never use as much as they say for that!

RE Fabric Softener. I've always been picky and used name brands like Snuggle or Downy for the liquids. Then a couple of weeks ago, I was at my Dad's house. Did some soccer laundry for our son, (we were visiting while he was in a tournament in the area). Dad is on a tight budget and uses Dollar Store fabric softener, but Tide detergent (my mom used it, so he still uses it). I was surprised how THICK the fabric softener was! I'm going to do a test, here at home and I'll let you know how it goes. If anything ... I may consider mixing dollar store with name brand to get more loads out of my name brand 8) .

RE using your laundry detergent to the last drop: Consider NOT doing that! Save your empty laundry detergent bottle to use as a water container for emergency use (if it's a pretty big one)! . Leave some detergent in the bottom. Then, when you fill that detergent bottle up with water you will have SOAPY water! Amazing how much soapy water you'll have. You may even be able to cut that soapy water with more water, if needed in a tight situation.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby zazzu » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:06 pm

ReadyMom wrote:RE using your laundry detergent to the last drop: Consider NOT doing that! Save your empty laundry detergent bottle to use as a water container for emergency use (if it's a pretty big one)! . Leave some detergent in the bottom. Then, when you fill that detergent bottle up with water you will have SOAPY water! Amazing how much soapy water you'll have. You may even be able to cut that soapy water with more water, if needed in a tight situation.

I do this but I put the filled containers in my garden area, in the shed and in the shade house. Saves a trip to turn on the hose or run in the house to wash your hands. It's hot enough down here that the soapy water is usually very warm. I've even spray painted them so they look good in the garden :D
zazzu
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:29 pm

zazzu wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:RE using your laundry detergent to the last drop: Consider NOT doing that! Save your empty laundry detergent bottle to use as a water container for emergency use (if it's a pretty big one)! . Leave some detergent in the bottom. Then, when you fill that detergent bottle up with water you will have SOAPY water! Amazing how much soapy water you'll have. You may even be able to cut that soapy water with more water, if needed in a tight situation.

I do this but I put the filled containers in my garden area, in the shed and in the shade house. Saves a trip to turn on the hose or run in the house to wash your hands. It's hot enough down here that the soapy water is usually very warm. I've even spray painted them so they look good in the garden :D

What a GREAT IDEA!! :D :D
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby cityhomesteader » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:58 pm

HI all,
Here is my Tip..
I cut a turkey into parts just like a chicken.. When the Turkeys are on sale I buy several and cut them up as you would a chicken and use the parts to make a LOT of meals.. Legs become Soup Stock and the meat goes in the soup. Thighs get Ground up along with the scraps that are to small to use on the bird. Breast are cut in half and each have can serve 4 adults .. Breasts become sliced into tenders and breaded, or BBQ, strifried, ect.. Anything you can use a Boneless chicken breast in you can use turkey, also Turkey can be used as a Pork alternative. The Carcass is put along with the Legs into a huge Stock pot and made into Gallons of stock with Onions, celery and carrots as well as fresh herbs of your choice.. I freeze the stock right now, but hope to can it as I become more familair with the pressure canner this year.
http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Cut-Up ... -172966542
http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/ ... turkey.asp
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader
Connecticut State Moderator
Connecticut State Moderator

Postby IceFire » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:13 pm

THAT isn't going to happen. I have NO choice as to when "things" will be "on the move". (although one or two a day are usually at work.)
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to General Preparedness Discussion