• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

ONE YEAR! Can You Store This Much?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: raggi5

ONE YEAR! Can You Store This Much?

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:44 pm

I've started this thread, because the conversation was started over in the summary of the Central PA Prep Event. One of the things very clearly stated by one of our guest speakers (Cynthia Ayers) regarding an EMP event is how MUCH you should consider storing: ONE YEAR. At LEAST one year!The start of the conversation went like this:

ReadyMom wrote: -snip- I did hear her very clearly say that as far as preparedness goes we should have 'at least ONE YEAR in food & water' ,if possible! :o ONE YEAR! -snip-

ReadyMom wrote:So ... I have SO much to catch up on, here at home that got behind with my dad's hospitalization & then getting ready for the prep event. And ALL I keep hearing in the back of my mind is Cindy Ayers saying, on Saturday:

" at least ONE YEAR of FOOD & WATER ..."
              :bored: ... At LEAST ONE YEAR ... :surrender: -k

3ADScout wrote:
Hate to give you any more Consternation but from a planning perspective I would say 1 and 1/2 years. Let's assume that and EMP or CME happens right before spring planting. Without the 21st Century Mechanization a crop might not even get planted and if one does it will not be enough. A year supply of food would get you to the next spring and the remaining half year of food would get you to harvest. Plan for worst hope for the best. I oftenwonder what might happen to the crops if either scenario happened at harvest. I suspect most of the crops would go unharvested. But then I think about how many old tractors from the 40's and 50's are still out there. But then the question becomes can we get the food to where it needs to be? I suspect that towns/cities near water will once again become centers of commerce.

kr105 wrote:If you're not depressed enough........

When planning your food storage, don't forget to add the "powder factor" on your freeze dried foods -- add approximately 25 to 33% more to your fd food servings.

Powder factor is the amount of product, inside the can, that gets pulverized in transit, giving you a powder on the bottom of the can.

SO ... Are YOU prepared to be able to store that much? I don't think we have the space to do this. :shakeno: Hubby is complaining NOW! :bored: -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: ONE YEAR! Can You Store This Much?

Postby Tybee » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:06 pm

It makes sense. Worse case scenario, if SHTF in April or May, you would have to get to the next early harvest of June or July. So I had only been planning on 14 months. Now, am I ready for this? Heck no! At best, I'm at about 6 months, no frills, just 6 months. My goal is 14 months, but I need more time (not to mention more space).
“Once you have established the goals you want and the price you’re willing to pay, you can ignore the minor hurts, the opponent’s pressure and the temporary failures.” Vince Lombardi
Tybee
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby SurvivIt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:14 pm

Would be pulling the belt pretty tight, and might be fairly skinny by then (maybe not an entirely bad thing, but a rough way to loose weight) but I think we'd still be eating.

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure that by the end the diet would be quite monotonous... consisting of only rice and beans and maybe some holdout pasta. All the cans would be gone. The only protein would be from the beans and the odd squirrel or other animal I could find.
SurvivIt

Postby Lynda » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 pm

Realistically for us I'd say 6-8 months not counting this year's yet to be planted harvest.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby gracebowen » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:57 pm

I think I am at about 2 months right now Its kinda hard to tell because once shtf we will have to eat different. There will be no more 1lb ground round, 1 can each corn, green beans, potatoes, tomatoes and carrots for a stew that will last a family of 5 for 2 days. Only at a month for water.
gracebowen

Postby valentinoswife » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:58 pm

We certainly don't have that much food either - although I would be super happy to get there -- we're trying but no where near it yet. What keeps running through my head is that Joseph stored 7 years worth of grain! I keep thinking -- how?? Where??? Those grain silos haad to be huge -- and what else did they eat with the grains?? Sighhhh.
Valentinoswife
Pinch of Prepping http://wp.me/P4203D-7
valentinoswife
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby BK in KC » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:11 pm

I have about 2 months of food for a family of 3 and that's probably an optimistic estimate. I've been prepping for a little over a year and I know I have a long way to go but I'm better off than probably 95% of my neighbors if SHTF. I have alternative sources of heat, water filtration, first aid, medicine and antibiotics, tools, home defense, etc. I'm a "glass half full" guy but I'm not deluding myself either. Lots of prepping still to do, but I keep plugging away and adding to my preps where I can on a tight budget.

Don't get discouraged, just keep prepping.
"It is remarkable the amount of ire you collect nowadays, like lint, simply by being insufficiently worshipful of the State and its gentle intentions."

--James Lileks
BK in KC
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:06 pm

SPACE - the ultimate prepper resource. A year and a half is a lot but rationing might have to play a major part in getting your food to last. I have two kids and wonder what to do with they hit their teens and want to eat all the time. Rice and beans seem to be the cheapest and easiest way to go, but then rotation starts to become an issue. One thing I do to add a little buffer is I do not count anything in the freezers or food self. If it isn't dehydrated or in a plastic bucket it doesn't get counted. I figure that is a month or so extra.

I have also thought about ways to forage or find other food. For example looking for leeks, or cattails,etc. or going fishing with a gill net.
3ADScout

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Hmmm ... if you home can your meats, maybe can in smaller jars so that you have less meat in a pasta, bean or rice dish. Stretch it out that way. Canned soups stretch them out with what I call 'staple stretchers' (pasta, rice,beans). -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Everyman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:33 pm

I don't have to worry about a gardening season. We can pretty much garden all year down here. We usually take a couple of months off because it's too hot. I have well over a year's stock for me and the girls....it does take up some space. When SHTF I'll rev up the kitchen garden and break out the chickens. I've got a solar powered chest freezer to store surpluses and citrus juice and to hold us over the two month rest period....and to make ice for my Bourbon. Little need to do much canning since we'll just eat fresh almost every day. This saves a lot of fuel and work.

I don't have have to worry about chopping down half a forest to keep warm so I figure I'll just go fishing instead.

I'll think about you guys when I'm munching on fresh corn on the cob and eating citrus, mangoes and bananas that grew in my backyard :D .
You are free to use or republish anything I have written here provided that your intent is to freely disseminate information that will help people. Attributions to Everyman appreciated.

From the most famous of the Medieval Morality Plays: And sayth one of the Virtues “Everyman I will go with thee to meet thy fate, I will attend thee when there is want; I am the Virtue of Knowledge.”

If voting worked it would be illegal.
Everyman
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby PeachOnEarth » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Everyman what cha gonna do when that Tsunami hits you? :wave: :D

We have enuf food for one year for two people, I do beleive.. but we are lucky because I get all my rice and rice flour for free.. so its been a bit easier to buy other stuff...
I still have things I WANT to buy.. more powdered cheese, more DF.. etc.. I have just started canning meats.. so I have a little buffer there.. but I do need to do another inventory as we have used up some of our stores over the winter with a few Vet bills we had to incur....
Garden Plans are well on there way... but as with the drought last year.. I know I was only able to put up about 1/3 what I normally do.. hoping for a much better year this time...
"Earth Laughs In Flowers" Raph Waldo Emerson

"What we have loved, others will love, and we will teach them how." William Wordsworth

"Growing your own food is like printing your own money." - Ron Finley
PeachOnEarth
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Rabid » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:09 pm

For some it would take a small warehouse to buils a one year supply. I have a 10'X12' room that at one time was a bedroom that is about 2/3 full. The truth is I really don't know how many days of food that is. I don't even have a decent inventory, although most boxes stuff is labled. I am currently consolidating supplies (wife's orders) so that I will more easily fit additional supplies into the room. I have a lot of starches,rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. and a fair amount of fruit and veggies. How to determine the number of meals is now the issue. I thought it might be good to ddtermine the number of meals by counting the protein servings but I'm not sure how. Is a can of tuna one serving or two? What about a can of spam or hash and how many beans equal a serving of protein? Are lentils protein? Then there is my big question, am I feeding two or eight. :unsure: :crazy:
DAMMIT IM MAD spelled backwards is DAMMIT IM MAD
Rabid

Postby Gunns » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:17 pm

I have about six months for three and about 30 days of water. I have no more room to fit it. I could use the space upstairs but the wife won't let me.

That is why we are looking to move south. What ever I end up buying for a bug out has to have lots more space for storage.

Don't call me a sheep or sheep dog or a wolf. I am Tiger and eat all three.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Kim333 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm

.........3 months is good, 6 months is better, 1 year is best...
That is what keeps running through my mind... I don't know where it's coming from, but it brought me here. So I am setting goals for 3 months, then 6 months and then 1year. If I see something that is easy to get to a year.. like soap or toothpaste.. I grab it, but mostly I am trying to just reach the first goal. I'm new at this, but that is what I'm doing at this point.
Kim333
New Hampshire Preppers Network
New Hampshire Preppers Network

Postby Everyman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:32 pm

PeachOnEarth wrote:Everyman what cha gonna do when that Tsunami hits you? :wave: :D

---snip---

Peach I'll blow up my water wings and get my webbed toes ready to get wet! Actually for a Tsunami to reach me it would have to cross the Bahamas which is hundreds of miles of very shallow banks. It would lose most of its energy there. What was left would then drop into deep water in the straight which would attenuate the remainder some more. After that it would have to over run the barrier island before it got to the continental shore. My place is 45 feet above sea level so I'm not too worried.
You are free to use or republish anything I have written here provided that your intent is to freely disseminate information that will help people. Attributions to Everyman appreciated.

From the most famous of the Medieval Morality Plays: And sayth one of the Virtues “Everyman I will go with thee to meet thy fate, I will attend thee when there is want; I am the Virtue of Knowledge.”

If voting worked it would be illegal.
Everyman
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion