• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

moral and ethical question after an EMP

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: raggi5

moral and ethical question after an EMP

Postby del_east » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:21 pm

This weekend we attended a preparedness conference in PA. The guest speakers, Dr. Pry and Cynthia Ayers from EMPact America, discussed the threat from EMPs. When we left the meeting I started to worry about Mr Del_East. He travels for his job all over our area probably 70 to 100 miles in any direction on any given day. On Doomsday Preppers I've noticed that some people bury a cache to help them get home. Since he travels all over this won't work for him. I started to look for a bike to give him a chance to make it back safely.

The moral ethical question involves me. when I stopped worrying about my husband I thought about my own situation. I work about 25 miles from home. Halfway between is my in laws house. If there was an EMP, i could probably walk the 13 miles to their home BUT... I work with 6 to 11 year olds. if there was an EMP then the electric would be out, the phone would stop ringing, and the school buses wouldn't pick the kids up. What would I do? Would I try to get back safely to my home- to my family or do I stay here for the kids. Most parents travel 20-40 miles to work everyday. The children might not get picked up at all. With no sanitation water or food for 1,000 people it would get bad fast. What would you do if you were in the same situation? Would you stay one day or slip out to try to get home to your own family before dark?
del_east
Delaware Preppers Network

Re: moral and ethical question after an EMP

Postby del_east » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Forgive my grammar errors as I typed the message from my phone. Thanks for your time and consideration.
del_east

Postby chris73 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:35 pm

That is a doozy, I don't envy your situation at all.
chris73

Postby del_east » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:38 pm

I know. Honestly I haven't stopped thinking about it ALL day.
del_east

Postby theoutback » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Seems like a no brainer to me. Prep for it!

1) you have to stay and take care of the kids, so make sure there is a plan w/ the school to take care of such a situation. A 3 day supply of food and water would seem to be prudent. A written plan with parents of what to do if there was a long term power outage. Also the plan should include the police and fire to aid in such a situation.
2) Talk to your husband, family and in-laws maybe on what to do in such a situation.

3) Make sure you've got a good BOB in your car to get you through an emp, assuming you were at work.

It's a good question but you just need to sit down with the school authorities and family members and hash out a plan. Good thinking, I need to talk that out with my wife. :clap:
theoutback

Postby BK in KC » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:42 pm

That's a tough one. Ethically, you HAVE to account for those children's safety, abandoning them is not an option.
"It is remarkable the amount of ire you collect nowadays, like lint, simply by being insufficiently worshipful of the State and its gentle intentions."

--James Lileks
BK in KC
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:42 pm

That is a real problem. I will make an assumption that you either work at a daycare or school. I also assume that you live in Pa since you attend the event (that might not be a good assumption since people from other nearby states could have attended). If these assumptions are correct each school and daycare in Pennsylvania Are required to have a written emergency response plan. Part of the plan should be Equipment and supplies stored on site and go bags. You may suggest to the principal or owner that the FEMA recommended supplies of food water etc, are 3 days. I know what I would do to get my kids in that situation. I tend to think that most people (not all) will keep it together for 3 days (this is based on actual disaster research and not Hollywood hype). Most people could cover 40 miles in 3 days especially given this type of "motivation". This is very similar to the scenario in One Second after with the nursing home. Good luck.
3ADScout

Postby del_east » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm in Delaware. We have a basic emergency plan but i dont think it covers anything of this proportion. I'll look at it tomorrow.
del_east

Postby PeachOnEarth » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Not sure if your allowed to keep food in your classroom.. but one small thing you might be able to do is to keep some boxes of Ritz/Saltine Crackers and a couple of jars of peanut butter in the trunk of your car for an emergency. In winter this shouldnt be a problem.. .. but perhaps rotate every few months?
( of course know if any child has an allergy to nuts!)
"Earth Laughs In Flowers" Raph Waldo Emerson

"What we have loved, others will love, and we will teach them how." William Wordsworth

"Growing your own food is like printing your own money." - Ron Finley
PeachOnEarth
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby dlbenx2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm

As in most cases, we all must decide what is right in our hearts. I would have to stay with the children. Hopefully, parents would realize a problem exists and be moving to get the kids. A few days supplies in your car that gets you home.
I prep to provide, God provides to prep. P!
dlbenx2
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby repsfo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:45 pm

del_east wrote:This weekend we attended a preparedness conference in PA. The guest speakers, Dr. Pry and Cynthia Ayers from EMPact America, discussed the threat from EMPs. When we left the meeting I started to worry about Mr Del_East. He travels for his job all over our area probably 70 to 100 miles in any direction on any given day. On Doomsday Preppers I've noticed that some people bury a cache to help them get home. Since he travels all over this won't work for him. I started to look for a bike to give him a chance to make it back safely.

The moral ethical question involves me. when I stopped worrying about my husband I thought about my own situation. I work about 25 miles from home. Halfway between is my in laws house. If there was an EMP, i could probably walk the 13 miles to their home BUT... I work with 6 to 11 year olds. if there was an EMP then the electric would be out, the phone would stop ringing, and the school buses wouldn't pick the kids up. What would I do? Would I try to get back safely to my home- to my family or do I stay here for the kids. Most parents travel 20-40 miles to work everyday. The children might not get picked up at all. With no sanitation water or food for 1,000 people it would get bad fast. What would you do if you were in the same situation? Would you stay one day or slip out to try to get home to your own family before dark?

Well for one an EMP would NOT take out everythings you mention. Some things might still work, while others might not. Preparedness has been my life for 35+ years as a Response Planner and First Responder. My family was always ready to take care of themselves, and plans were in place. Because I might not be heading home after an Incident, instead I might be heading off to set up a Mass Care Shelter, Assessing Damage, directing operations from an Emergency Operations Center and might not be able to get home for several days or more. I can't tell you how many nights I slept in the back of a National Guard truck, instead of my bed. You can feel better staying to care for the kids in your care, if you know there are plans is in place to take care of your kids/family.
repsfo

Postby Kim333 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm a teacher and I thought about this the day we had the meteor hit and the near pass of the asteroid. I was on a field trip. Yikes! There's no choice. You wouldn't leave them. You now have a few dozen new children :D I wouldn't say anything to the school because you don't want them thinking you are nuts. Just plan on staying until enough are picked up, and you can leave the remaining with the administrators. That is why they make the big bucks, right? Probably nobody will know what is really happening but you.
Kim333
New Hampshire Preppers Network
New Hampshire Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:09 pm

a day isn't going to make that big a difference ..... the first few days upwards to a week the bad guys are going to be buzy elsewhere .... they won't know immediately, like most sheeple, what the implications are of a SHTF .... then they'll be concentrating on the retail locations ..... after the boozed & drugged partying ends is when residents and traverlers become prey .... your concern should be grouping with fellow traverlers going your destination direction .... don't miss that initial "flood" of the normal 8-5ers heading home ....
Illini Warrior

Postby del_east » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Thank you. I know I wouldn't leave my kids. They're family. It's just the idea of a catastrophic event like this is terrifying. I need to prep for this on the cheap.We're not supposed to have candles because of fire but maybe i can get some of those church 7 day candles to keep them from being scared once it gets dark. A few cases of bottled water it wont be a gal. each but better than nothing at all. My room is nut free so suggestions for foods for 30 would be good.

YIKES about the field trip!!! I was blissfully ignorant of the implications it could have had on my kids and me.
del_east

Postby PeachOnEarth » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Well crackers without the peanut butter is better than nothing at all!..
What is Vegemite made with?? ( just kidding!) shudders....
Perhaps some Jelly or Jam? Hard candy. A few tins of tuna and spam or vienna suasages...( ive never eaten one.. but kids seem to like them?)
In the winter time it shouldnt be too bad to store a few things in your car.. as summer comes on.. you might have to rethink a few things ( not sure if you school all year or just in the fall/winter/spring.. )

I would suggest keeping a few cleaned empty 2 liter soda bottles in the trunk of your car.. you can use them to fill from the water taps at your school until the water pressure goes down... at school .. start using every container you can find to store extra water too.
"Earth Laughs In Flowers" Raph Waldo Emerson

"What we have loved, others will love, and we will teach them how." William Wordsworth

"Growing your own food is like printing your own money." - Ron Finley
PeachOnEarth

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion