• Advertisement
Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Where to buy insulin Over The Counter?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: raggi5

Where to buy insulin Over The Counter?

Postby Cin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:00 am

OK - plenty of people on here and other forums have said it is possible to buy Insulin over the counter, especially at Walmart.

Relatives and I have checked a 3 state area and are told "No, a prescription is required to buy any insulin." The pharmacists also have no idea which states or what Walmarts sell insulin over the counter.

So, I googled what states sell insulin over the counter, and found a current list that says NONE do.

So, I need help. Anyone who has bought insulin OTC - what states did you buy it in?
Cin

Re: Where to buy insulin Over The Counter?

Postby Arkiepharmer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 am

Not all insulin are treated equally under the law. Here in arkansas, we sell "N" and "R" insulins over the counter, whether it's humulin novolin or store brand. The Newer types are prescription only across the nation. Some chains have rules that they are only allowed to sell things by prescription. What state are you in and what type of insulin are you looking for?
Arkiepharmer
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:15 pm

My sister lives 10 miles from the Arkansas border and shops in Arkansas. She went to her Walmart there and they said they do not sell it over the counter. She also checked in Oklahoma, where she lives, no dice. Other people have checked other Oklahoma Walmarts for her, no insulin is sold over the counter in Oklahoma.

OPSEC, I live in the Midwest. I checked my state, 2 different Walmarts in two different counties...they do not sell it over the counter.

I'm just wanting to know which states sell insulin, whatever the brand/type, over the counter. I will be traveling this summer, and am hoping to pick some up.
Cin

Postby Cin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Oh, and "n" and "R" are exactly what she is looking for. However, her Arkansas Walmart said they do not sell it over the counter, a prescription is required.
Cin

Postby Arkiepharmer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:53 pm

Hmm I after reading your post I thought I better make sure nothing has changed in pharmacy law lately so i texted my pharm buddies and all agreed its legal. So I assumed it was a Walmart policy. So I called the pharmacist that works at the Walmart a couple miles from my store. He agreed its not illegal and said there are no company policies against it and he sells it OTC . He said they do have an unwritten policy of no needles without insulin or other injectable med.
I'm curious if they're just ignorant of the law or what. Can you pm me the Walmart location that told her this? I would like to call them and see what their reasoning is. Other than that pharmacy is a small world and most of us know each other, if you tell me what city she wants to get it in I can direct her to a store that will sell to her. For OPSec if you want to pm that so its not sitting out in the forums that's coll. I'm driving in to the state tonight so I won't be back on til tomorrow
Arkiepharmer

Postby FussyOldHen » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:06 pm

Cin: Are you buying your insulin through an insurance program? Limitations on meds are almost always controlled by the insurance company, not the law, not the doctors.

Talk to your doctor and explain what you want. Tell him/her that you will be traveling, and you want to have a ready supply, and not have to search out a pharmacist during your travels. Then ask if he/she has any problem with giving you an ADDITIONAL prescription for more insulin than the monthly (or whatever) allotment that you usually get.

The only difference is that you have to pay the full amount, your insurance company is not involved with a co-pay.
FussyOldHen

Postby PittPrepper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:36 pm

My home state of Texas doesn't require a script for needles. Pennsylvania does. Many diabetics (long long term) reuse needles due to the shear environmental waste of using one per injection and throwing away. This is a bit controversial, I know.
PittPrepper
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby myheirloomseeds » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:42 pm

I do a lot of international traveling yearly. For my family I buy prescriptions overseas. Everything and I mean everything is cheaper overseas without the FDA intervention and big govern-ment. If I had someone close to Canada I would be getting my scripts from there or maybe a better option might be to order from a reputable source via the web.

I know for a fact that Metformin (Glucophage) was a 1/3 of the price than in the USA and manufactured by the exact same company.

Hope you find a solution.

Troy B
15,000 Heirloom Seeds one low price: http://www.myheirloomseeds.com
myheirloomseeds

Postby Arkiepharmer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:07 am

Wow heirloom, either you're getting screwed here or they're giving it away over there. Metformin is $4 for a month of medication at Kroger Wal-mart or the rest of us who price match their $4 lists. If your local store charges a lot for generics, check the $4 lists and don't be afraid to ask them to price match.
Arkiepharmer

Postby myheirloomseeds » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:28 am

Arkiepharmer wrote:Wow heirloom, either you're getting screwed here or they're giving it away over there. Metformin is $4 for a month of medication at Kroger Wal-mart or the rest of us who price match their $4 lists. If your local store charges a lot for generics, check the $4 lists and don't be afraid to ask them to price match.

A 1000mg 100 tablets of Metformin cost $1.74. I think we're getting the better deal :)
15,000 Heirloom Seeds one low price: http://www.myheirloomseeds.com
myheirloomseeds

Postby pelenaka » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:28 pm

Per my Target Pharmacist he can sell me N & R insulin along with ONLY 6 syringes. Forgot to ask him what the time frame was for a resupply on the needles.
I think he quoted me a $35 price tag on each insulin vial.

Last New Year's Eve we were shooting the breeze and I said that it was one of the few times I miss (champagne) not being able to drink due to being diabetic. I joked that I'd give myself a quick hot of insulin then hit the AYCE buffet and partake of wine. My only problem was no insulin.
He volunteered that he can sell me some but by the time I took my "hit" that glass of bubbly would be pretty damn expensive.
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby jean11 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Our little dog needs insulin twice a day, 12 units each of N. We have a script from our Vet and get it filled at Walmart. Needles are $12. for 100 and insulin N is $24 per vial. He LOVES his shots. Because he knows that seconds after his shot he gets to EAT. LOL
jean11

Postby OC357 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:40 pm

pelenaka wrote:Per my Target Pharmacist he can sell me N & R insulin along with ONLY 6 syringes. Forgot to ask him what the time frame was for a resupply on the needles.
I think he quoted me a $35 price tag on each insulin vial.

Last New Year's Eve we were shooting the breeze and I said that it was one of the few times I miss (champagne) not being able to drink due to being diabetic. I joked that I'd give myself a quick hot of insulin then hit the AYCE buffet and partake of wine. My only problem was no insulin.
He volunteered that he can sell me some but by the time I took my "hit" that glass of bubbly would be pretty damn expensive.

Yup......in NY you can get the regular insulin with no script, but not the "fast acting" like humulog. Need a script for that. Also need a script to get the packs of needles I thought (I think they are 100 in a pack) This is the way a friend gets it anyway. She gets a 90 day supply of needles and insulin at a time. She needs a script for the insulin and needles she uses. So it depends on what insulin you are using on whether you need a script in NY........so she told me. (she takes 2 kinds of insulin)

As an aside, she eats and drinks what she wants and when she wants and covers it with insulin. (I don't mean she is obese, she weighs like 110 pounds and has been insulin dependant most of her life so she knows what she is doing and tests herself several or more times a day). She always, always, always carries insulin and syringes and a tester and strips with her.......and sugar candy...always. It's nothing to fool with.

OC
I got nothing. I am just here for the ride.
OC357

Postby Cin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Please forgive my ignorance.

I'm reading responses and either I'm not communicating properly, or we're misunderstanding each other.

I want to walk up to a pharmacy counter, without a prescription, and buy insulin. Just insulin. No insurance company involved. No strips/no needles. Just insulin, without a script, without insurance.

Is this possible? If so, where?

FYI - its not for me. Its to help a diabetic in my family to stock up, because insurance/doctor won't let them.
Cin

Postby FussyOldHen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Cin: "...Its to help a diabetic in my family to stock up, because insurance/doctor won't let them."

Are they sure about that, or are they just assuming? Tell them to ASK THE DOCTOR SPECIFICALLY. And if he won't, call another doctor. Face it, some doctors are control freaks.

I'll say it again: most limits on medication are applied by the insurance companies, not the law, not the doctors. If they can pay for it over the counter, they could pay for it over the counter with a prescription.

Tell them not to complicate things that don't need to be.
FussyOldHen

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion