Hiding yer stuff

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: raggi5

Hiding yer stuff

Postby paladin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:52 am

Hiding Valuables – Sneakier Uses For Everyday Things

http://tipnut.com/hiding-valuables-sneakier-uses-for-everyday-things/

More Hide and Sneak
When you think of sneaky you usually think of something that is secret or hidden from you. Actually, the most common sneaky-use application is hiding your valuable belongings from others.

Hollowed-out candle
Figurine
Tissue container
Trash container base
Video or audio cassette shell
Pen
Watch case
Inner pocket
Shoestring
DVD case
Between magazine pages
Inside a candy box
Ironing board padding
Bag within a bag
Source & Picture: Sneakier Uses For Everyday Things – Author: Cy Tymony

I myself would forget about the DVD/CD case idea (as well as VHS and video game cases). If kids are breaking in, they love to scoop those things up to sell for quick cash.

More Ideas For Hiding Things
Store items in food containers to keep in the fridge, pantry or freezer. This only works well if you regularly have a lot of items and containers for them to go through.
Cut a hole behind a floor baseboard and stash valuables in there. Make sure that the baseboard is back in place perfectly.
Pull off the rubber ends on the ironing board leg and voila! a tube for hiding.
Money envelope hidden behind or tucked up inside wall calendars.
Feminine Napkin or Tampon Boxes (keep them full of product).
Inside rolls of toilet paper, the bottom ones kept stacked in packaging.
A toy box filled with toys.
Fill a sock and put in the dirty clothes hamper.
‘False’ Shampoo or hairspray bottles (just clean and empty a used bottle–not a clear plastic one!)
Spice & herb bottles: empty out and wash well, paint glue all over the inside then fill the bottle with spices again. Dump whatever the glue didn’t hold. You want the spice bottle to look like it’s full of spice. Fill the bottle with valuables in a plastic bag once the glue and spices are completely dried.
Used deodorant stick containers and toothpaste tubes (cut the end, clean well, roll up).
If you’re handy, build a false ceiling, wall or floor in a small room.
In amongst the Christmas decorations
Buy two cheap, thin identical floor mats, glue together but leave a pocket edge open to tuck money envelopes in. Seal the pocket with double sided tape.
If you live in a warm climate where it doesn’t freeze over winter–bury your stash in the backyard
Places That Aren’t Really Safe To Hide Things
The master bedroom. Everyone stores their valuables in there.
The medicine cabinet. Thieves typically love prescription pills.
Inside and under dresser drawers. Too common.
Underneath mattresses and along bed frames. Again, too common.
Bedroom closets and clothes pockets–one of the first places to ransack.
A locked fire safe or locked briefcase–both can be picked up and left with to be broken into somewhere else. If you have a safe, make sure it’s bolted down tight.
A Good Idea
Have a ‘secret’ jewelry box or box of some kind sitting on the dresser or tucked away in a dresser drawer. Put some cash in there and cheap jewelry, maybe even a small key that doesn’t open anything. This is your decoy and will hopefully let the thief think he found the stash he’s looking for. Have it full of ‘junk’ that looks valuable, the more the better.
Also have a few different hiding spots. That way not everything will be stolen if only one or two spots are found.

Did You Know
Some thieves break into homes looking for spare keys to the house, garage and car to steal or break into later? Don’t leave spare keys in an obvious place.
Wherever you hide your stash–keep it to yourself & make sure to remember where it is!
Daniel 12:1
[ The End Times ] “At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered.
paladin

Re: Hiding yer stuff

Postby medic72 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:56 am

nice ty
Master Mason
U.S Paratrooper
NREMT-Paramedic
Region 12 Leader
medic72
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: Townsend (southeast) Georgia/Mcintosh County/ Region 12

Postby petejr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:26 am

one thing to consider when hiding anything, will it be safe if the place burn down?
petejr

Postby PAfrogmom » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:39 am

Good post. Thanks :)
The joy of life lies not in the destination but in the journey. Live life without regrets.
PAfrogmom

Postby Atreus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:51 am

Interesting stuff. It reminds me of a song that Bluegrasser, Sam Bush, has out these days called "String's Overalls". It is about how the old time Banjo Player, String Bean, was known for hating banks and a popular rumor was out that he kept a lot of his money sown into his overalls.

Eventually, the rumor finally found the wrong people and String Bean and his wife were robbed and killed because he would not reveal where the rest of his stash was. Years later it was in the news that the new owner of his house tore out the fireplace and found about $20,000 dollars there.

Most of us will never be as well known as String Bean but it still makes the point that the fewer people that know what you are doing and what you have the better. And having that faux hidden stash might just be the thing to keep you from being killed unless you give them the location of your real stash unless the thieves are already expecting much more.
There won't be a declared "SHTF" day so be prepared.
Atreus
Michigan State Moderator
Michigan State Moderator

Postby gman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:03 pm

Ive got no place to hide any thing now, you've given them all away.
Information Station"American Preppers Radio"http://prepperbroadcasting.com/
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
gman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:33 pm

gman wrote:Ive got no place to hide any thing now, you've given them all away.

LOL ... I was thinking the same thing! How do you share a good idea, without giving it away? Tough one to figure out :bored: .
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby blue fox » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:55 pm

got a fireplace mantle? try stashing stuff under the mantle on top of the fireplace.
blue fox
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby paladin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:03 pm

we used to remove the air filter from the cah/ nail a nail into the frame work outta sight, put valuables in a sock and hang it on the nail, then replace the filter...
[ The End Times ] “At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered.
paladin

Postby MrDanB » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:35 pm

As far as prepping in general goes, the term: "loose lips sink ships" comes to mind... I tell family/friends that I am simply trying to take care of my family in case of a natural disaster, like katrina. They all seem to think that it's a good idea for THAT purpose, but nobody seems to think that it's a good idea for any OTHER reason.lol
Some other great hiding places: in a picture frame, inside the grill of the fridge, taped underneath the vanity in the bathroom, attic, buried outside, hollowed out banister/railing, inside the sheetrock, inside smoke detector, most torchiere lamps come apart in the middle and have room inside. Most thieves are really pretty lazy and don't want to actually work in the first place, so I make it difficult for them! :)
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby Who is John Gall » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:34 am

Good suggestions. Actually, I think that the VHS idea is a good one and is getting better by the day. How many use VHS any more? I don't have a DVR (yes, I am so 20th century, I know) and I recently had a fine time looking for for some blank VHS tapes to record Supernatural recently (the CW moved it from Thursday to Friday and I work every Friday, it's a conspiracy I say). Anyway, I would think that some old VHS tapes would be a great spot to hide some small valuables. You could pick some up at a yard sell and stick on some new labels to make them look like home movies. Keep the original tape in most of the cassettes, and only change it out in the tapes labeled "Aunt Edith's 70 [or 69, 89]th birthday" or something like that. It would be a determined person who would check every cassette in a box of family movies to try and find your stash.

One of my uncles once made a hiding spot for one of the daughters of one of his many wives (nice guy, but I was really confused as to who was my aunt when I was growing up) when she was off to college and was told that she could not have a microwave in her dorm room. He bought an old set of encyclopedias at a yard sale and a cheap book case and a small microwave. He adjusted the shelves so that there was just enough room for the books. Then, he lined up the books and cut the spines off of them and glued them, along with the cut off edge of the shelf that was to go between the two rows, onto a piece of plywood that he hinged to the rest of the book shelf. He said that the microwave fit right behind the "books" and served her well for several years of college and passing several room inspections. He told me that he spent about $200 on the whole thing, made it in one day, and she sold it for $500 when she moved out of the dorms. I don't think that this would foil a determined robber, but it might get pass one less literately inclined.
Who is John Gall

Postby paladin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:08 am

Emergency food storage: The Pallet Root Cellar.

By Ted Wright

for picks and the whole story go here..... http://theepicenter.com/tow1102.html

Back in the 80's I developed my "Pallet Root cellar" to face the existing problems. This is obviously patterned after the old, rural storage system some of us still remember seeing way back when. The root cellar system allows for the storage of a great amount of food (and some beer, inside joke!) in a small space that is naturally regulated at a constant temperature of about 63 degrees year round. The only proviso is that the lid must be kept on at all times. Back in the old days it was a door.

All food stored in the root cellar should be of the dry variety, tightly sealed in dry containers. Rice, grains of all kinds, beans of all varieties, as well as packaged food items such as soups and similar items. The product of our food dehydrator is also stored down there. A typical meal example could be to select some beef stew base packets, boil some white beans, put in some dried carrots, tomatoes, and potatoes and with sourdough rolls enjoy a fine "backyard stew!"

The #3 video I have just completed fully outlines the treatment of food and water including, of course the preparation of food for the root cellar, all as an extension to Chapter 4 in my book, "The Home and Backyard Survival"

Construction of the Pallet Root Cellar is very simple and can be made and put into use in a weekend. Here's how:

Collect six pallets from outside stores and garbage pick up points or the local furniture movers.
Measure your pallets (usually 4'x4') and dig a hole several inches bigger all round than the pallets. Be sure to allow enough depth for the top pallet to be below ground by 6" when it is put on.
The Root Cellar hole, larger than pallets.
Line the hole with a sheet of good thick plastic, the plastic should loosely drape in the hole.
Hole lined with plastic.

Place one pallet flat on the bottom for a "Floor." Be careful not to tear the plastic liner.
The floor installed.
Standing on the floor pallet in the hole place the other pallets around the sides to make "Walls." You will find that the pallets do not support each other because they are all the same size.

Walls installed.
Cut 2 pieces of 2'x4' the same width as the floor pallet and attach it to the top of the end pallets or side pallets (it does not matter which) using bailing wire or thick string. Now the pallets will not cave in.
2x4s installed to hold walls.

Secure the four corners of the pallets to each other with wire or string and you will have a sturdy box to work with.
Pull the plastic inside the box and, as you stand inside, pull loose dirt down around the sides of the box taking up the space between the outside walls of the box and the sides of the unit. Pack the dirt down and "firm up" the box before you get out. Then, from topside, walk around the box tamping down the dirt with your feet. When finished pull the plastic back out of the box and roll it up.
Now you are ready to stock the box with food. I use 30 gal plastic trash bins as containers and fill these first. Once food is placed in the storage unit, the top pallet should be put on. Pull the rolled plastic over the top to keep the inside cool.
You may decide to put hinges on the "lid," as well as make shelves or other improvements to my basic design.

As soon as the unit is full, cover the lid with a good 3" of newspaper, pull the plastic liner back in place and cover with a good strong plastic tarp. Then put rocks, bricks, or soil over the tarp to keep it in place.

That's it. You are now the proud owner of your own "Root cellar" full of food. If you are careful in packing the items, you should have many months of food down there. This item is good for most natural disasters (except, obviously, floods) and as can be readily appreciated. Even if the house is flat, your food is still there waiting to be used. I am sure many of you have already envisioned many "Root cellars" all over the yard, some with food, some water, or clothes or?
paladin

Postby TheLight » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:04 pm

Ever watch "It Takes a Thief" on the Discovery Channel? It always amazed me how quickly he found people's "secret" stashes. And how, once he found a secret stash, he literally tore the place apart looking for the other ones... even if there weren't any others.

If you're going to take the time to hide something, hide it really well. In the floor/ceiling. Behind a brick that you re-mortar. In your chimney (if you don't use it of course!). Then you plant a decoy relatively out in the open. And remember, this only works if you don't have items that indicate wealth all over the place. iPod charger but no iPod? The crook's going to look for your laptop, desktop, and any other gadgets.

Have a safe? It better be bolted down and weigh 200+ lbs.

Thieves, as much as I truly despise them, are often very pragmatic and intelligent. Up where my BOL was, we had a few break-ins to hunting camps where the thief didn't bother trying to open the barricaded door or any of the sealed/shuttered windows: He just chainsawed through the wall.
"Where did I leave that clue-by-four?" -Me
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Fyrediver » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Another thing to consider when hiding stuff: people sometimes forget that they've hidden things (money and jewelry etc) inside books, clothing pockets etc. Sometimes those things find their way to the local Goodwill and then make the news. I'm sure most don't make the news. Hopefully you've got someone you can confide in and tell them your hiding spot if it's valuable for the estate should anything happen to you.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” Charles Darwin
Fyrediver
Washington Preppers Network

Postby Golden Oldie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:06 pm

Paladin, I just have to say thanks for a great thread with lots of unique ideas! Since I'm new here and just stumbled over it, I'd like to enlarge on one of your hiding places:

"Buy two cheap, thin identical floor mats, glue together but leave a pocket edge open to tuck money envelopes in. Seal the pocket with double sided tape."

If you sew, knit, or crochet, you can make a double-sided "hot pad" or "potholder" or "table runner" or whatever else strikes your fancy, enclosing cash envelopes within and THEN -- to allay suspicion or thwart a thief who takes a shine to your handiwork -- use adhesive putty or the like to "glue" the piece down on a surface with a heavy vase, pot, fruit bowl or whatever centered on it. :)

It would be easy enough to take all those "pads" with you if bugging out, and they will just seem like household accessories to anyone else peeking in your box of pots and pans or the like.
The values of modern society are all the proof I need that I should have been born a couple hundred years ago.
Golden Oldie

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion