• Advertisement

MAY 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

MAY 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby Cin » Mon May 01, 2017 9:06 am

Started the new thread.

Waiting on the contractor today. We'll probably be picking up the debris and getting it burned, if the rain stops.

I also like how Ice Fire and I planted almost exactly the same plants! :)

My peach tree has lots of peaches on it - I'm trying to determine the best way to keep the deer away from it. Any ideas are welcome.
Cin

Re: MAY 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon May 01, 2017 1:38 pm

April was great not counting being sick for 3 weeks....Entire house got it...A good reminder for isolation procedures to have in place in the event of pandemic.

Continuing to get experience in Gardening...
Cantaloupes for the first time,
redid some beds,
hatched praying mantis eggs(seems like a waste),
continuing research on moving location(Wife needs to be happy),
added 2 new areas of preps,

and made bread from scratch for the first time ever growing my knowledge and skills there....Bread turned out AMAZING...Pretty happy for a first timer.... :thumbup:

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:46 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:April was great not counting being sick for 3 weeks....Entire house got it...A good reminder for isolation procedures to have in place in the event of pandemic.

redid some beds,

and made bread from scratch for the first time ever growing my knowledge and skills there....Bread turned out AMAZING...Pretty happy for a first timer.... :thumbup:
But did you eat the whole loaf at one sitting?
Reb

"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon May 01, 2017 5:00 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:April was great not counting being sick for 3 weeks....Entire house got it...A good reminder for isolation procedures to have in place in the event of pandemic.

redid some beds,

But did you eat the whole loaf at one sitting?
Reb

lol...No Reb, but I would have if I could. That and a tub of butter.... I'm on a diet and we were getting BBQ in the evening...I saved 1600 calories for just that meal and what passes for moonshine out here in CA(100 proof..laughable but it was tasty)

Down 14 lbs in 2-1/2 weeks so kicking butt.......

OH YA!!! That's another prep I've been working on...Getting rid of the gut! ;) ...14 lbs down, 15 to go for a target of 195.

Here's my before and after so far....

I may only be 45, but I don't look a day over 70! ;)

Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby IceFire » Mon May 01, 2017 7:18 pm

Got the parsley planted. Also picked up some more plants...Zucchini, more strawberries, lemon balm, bee balm, lemon verbena, creeping thyme, butternut squash, and spaghetti squash. I'll plant them when I feel better...husband had a stomach bug over the weekend, and "shared" it with me.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed May 03, 2017 9:50 am

IceFire wrote:Got the parsley planted. Also picked up some more plants...Zucchini, more strawberries, lemon balm, bee balm, lemon verbena, creeping thyme, butternut squash, and spaghetti squash. I'll plant them when I feel better...husband had a stomach bug over the weekend, and "shared" it with me.

Ugg...That stomach bug was out here in CA but it seemed to resolve within 2-3 days....We didn't get that but we got hit with a nasty cold that turned bacterial...Entire family. Difficulty breathing, sinus infections and my little girl got 2 different earaches over the 3 weeks....Doc said we "caught a cold on top of a cold"......I envy your trips over the border for the "pet meds"....For the life of me I cant find a "Vet" willing to work with me here for scripts of antibiotics. :thumbdown:

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Cin » Wed May 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Contractor was here yesterday between raindrops. He sheathed the outer skin of the extension we're building and put in the rafters for the part that isn't covered (we're extending a covered deck and making it an actual bonus room).

Today, it's pouring, so Husband spent the day working on building and getting his new computer up and running.

I've been piddling on my computer all day, some work, but mostly playing on Pinterest, PMing people and answering emails. :)

At least the plants outside are getting a healthy start with all this rain!
Cin

Postby NJMike » Sat May 06, 2017 9:47 am

Got divorced. Now I have the financial obligations set, so I can plan around that. :ouch:

Picked up some more unusual plants at an Asian market this week. Sunchoke aka Jerusalem Artichoke, Perila, Dropwort, and Aralia Root.

I found some great deals at a rummage sale yesterday. In addition to a dozen books on various useful topics, I picked up another recurve bow for $12, a camping shovel/pick for $6, two medical storage boxes for $13, arm sling, wrist splint and cervical collar for $6, two frame backpacks for $12 each and I happened upon a Condor sniper drag bag for...$6, a great deal for adding a range bag.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:07 am

NJMike wrote:Got divorced. Now I have the financial obligations set, so I can plan around that. :ouch:

Picked up some more unusual plants at an Asian market this week. Sunchoke aka Jerusalem Artichoke, Perila, Dropwort, and Aralia Root.

I found some great deals at a rummage sale yesterday. In addition to a dozen books on various useful topics, I picked up another recurve bow for $12, a camping shovel/pick for $6, two medical storage boxes for $13, arm sling, wrist splint and cervical collar for $6, two frame backpacks for $12 each and I happened upon a Condor sniper drag bag for...$6, a great deal for adding a range bag.

Mike, the artichokes grow like a weed, up to 8 feet tall like a sunflower. When you get a permanent place, plant them where they can spread.
You dig the tuber in the Fall. Try to leave some in the ground for the next years growth. I planted chokes in 2012. The second year I dug about 50 lbs from a 4x8 raised bed. The tubers look like potatoes and taste like water chestnuts. You can roast, bake, or pickle them. If you boil them like taters, be careful, they turn to a soft mush quickly. My favorite way is to saute slices in butter. I have a relish recipe that is great.
They are extremely easy to grow and maintain. No special soil conditions.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

rebnavy1862

Postby NJMike » Sun May 07, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks Reb. I appreciate your sharing the first hand experience. This will be a test in my interim location. I'm curious to taste them and see if I'll be interested in growing them at my next place.
NJMike

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun May 07, 2017 2:23 pm

you can double plant the artichokes using the stalks for pole bean climbing ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby theoutback » Sun May 07, 2017 3:27 pm

Cin wrote:Started the new thread.

Waiting on the contractor today. We'll probably be picking up the debris and getting it burned, if the rain stops.

I also like how Ice Fire and I planted almost exactly the same plants! :)

My peach tree has lots of peaches on it - I'm trying to determine the best way to keep the deer away from it. Any ideas are welcome.

Fence it. 15 to 20' piece of 5' welded wire or concrete wire. one stake to hold it in place. Fencing is the best way.
Attachments
DSCN1490.JPG
theoutback

Postby theoutback » Sun May 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Busy time in my orchards. Pest monitoring, trying to suppress scab, burning and running fans at 3 AM to cut down on loss from frost, and got some grafting done. ( see pic) My orchards are how we make extra money for preps. My wife and I also have other full time jobs.

We also got started on a 16 x 30 cider barn. It has a cellar that we are building a false wall in. One part of that room will be made of foil lined insulation to use as a big faraday cage.
Attachments
DSCN3651.JPG
theoutback

Postby jimLE » Sun May 07, 2017 8:41 pm

i got 5 ammo buckets.and each one has the lids and clamps..and a nice lil knife to boot as well..

p.s. edit..unfortunately.they dont have any ammo in them..
Attachments
DSCN1909.JPG
DSCN1912.JPG
jimLE

Postby Cin » Tue May 09, 2017 3:16 pm

The Outback - our deer sail right over that fence - we have the exact same one, with those stakes.

I'm thinking of putting a cage around it - make a frame around it, and then have movable panels of fencing that can be strapped together as the tree grows.

In fact, I'm thinking of fencing in the entire garden, even the top. The animals are eating everything - they strip the plant bare and then eat the leaves on several of the veggies. Cages like these examples:

http://daphman.com/garden-cage/
Cin

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion