• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

June 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

June 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby IceFire » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Starting this month off. Picked up more chicken and rabbit feed. Fired up the second incubator to use as a "hatcher" so that I can move over the eggs that should be hatching in a few days (Auracana/Buff Orpington mix.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: June 2017 - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby ajax727 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:59 am

Had a bobcat kill 8 chickens over the past few days , i set a hand full of traps and she threw all of them each night , a darn smart cat . I took the tractor and cut two shooting lanes about 400 yards long from the chickens pens to the woods if i spot her hope to end her chicken killing spree . Picked up 100 t-post , 2 roles of fencing to (300 feet roles) moving the goats so they can clean up a spot that was logged a few years ago .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby RockinB » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:38 am

Brought in 30 White Dorper ewe lambs 3 weeks ago and picked up a ram lamb yesterday. Rambo is a very happy little guy but he whined for the entire trip. LGD's are running coyotes almost every night since we brought in the ewes. Way too much fence left to upgrade...
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
RockinB

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:54 am

garage sale season is in full swing - sorting out the finds - organizing and packaging for storing - finding room for the additions ....

re-worked a couple of Igloo 7 gallon water jugs that I picked up cheap - replaced the OEM vents with snap caps - fabricated new spout parts for better water storage - cleaned both with a baking soda soaking ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Genevieve » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:26 am

Been picking quarts and quarts of tart cherries. Freezing them for now after I pit them to use later in jams and other condiments for meats and such. Also will do up some jars for pies and cobblers. I have 2 trees just full of them this year

Bought 30 more cattle panel fencing and 60 T posts to replace the old fencing around the property that was here when we bought it

Have new eye prescription and will get glasses off the net as extras/backups this week

Doctor's appointment this week for checkup

Also will buy a case of freeze dried meats this week. Just have to compare prices on some sites
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:39 pm

Picked up 50lbs flour at sam's club and 50 lbs of rolled oats at local amish bulk food store...
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:14 pm

Husband is cleaning up trash from the new addition we're building, in addition to running back and forth to the lumber store for whatever is needed as the contractor progresses.

I am decluttering my sewing room. I've been finishing up projects and also doing some new stuff for when the family comes to visit. I've made a bunch of laundry bags for the kids. Last time clothes got mixed up, and although everyone was fine with it, I like the idea of being more efficient.
Cin

Postby IceFire » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Renewed my combination fishing/hunting license today. Had to go pick up chick feed anyway, so renewed my license while I was there.

Two of the batch of Auracana/Buff Orpington eggs have hatched....waiting on the other 7--they should be hatching over the course of the next week. First one hatched yesterday, second hatched this evening.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby IceFire » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:41 pm

Picked up a new rabbit hutch today, since the bunny had just about eaten her way out of the old one...hubby and I got it put together, moved over feeders and waterer, then moved the bunny. After that, we moved an old hutch/coop that I had previously used for the turkey over next to the chicken run, then took the metal run into 2 halves and moved it over to where we put the coop. After getting that back together, moved the two roosters from the small coop/run setup in the larger run over to the new setup; then cleaned out the coop they had been in, and moved the older 4 chicks (mostly feathered out now) from the "brooder in the bathtub" out to the coop/run that I had just moved the roosters out of. After that, moved the 2 chicks that had hatched Tuesday and Wednesday to the bathtub brooder. Had another chick hatch today...that one will stay in the incubator/brooder for another day or so until it completely dries out. Meanwhile, still have more eggs that should e hatching soon...maybe another one tomorrow, then one the day after, etc.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby mom2grandma » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:09 pm

Finally got the garden in. a lot smaller than last year. started planting last Saturday. Wed when I went to work it was 39degrees when I checked the garden plants I had transplanted, they looked like they had gotten to cold. hopefully they will grow
mom2grandma

Postby 3ADScout » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Put together two more raised beds this more. My pre-teen son blessed me with his help today. Took the time to show him how to make sure what his is building is "squared". Went over why we used Stainless steel screws and after that we went and shot 50 rounds out of his 22 rifle and then I let him shot the taurus 94 which he said he didn't like - It was still a little too big for his hands. Wife went out to do spring cleaning. Labeled various totes and other containers with nicely printed label maker labels. Was uses duck tape and sharpie but they were hard to read. Black ink on orange or yellow back ground (tape) is much easier.
3ADScout

Postby IceFire » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:33 pm

Picked up the last of the plywood and 2x4s for the stable. Got the interior of the first stall finished this evening (we're trying to do the work in the evening, when it's a little cooler.) Another day of work should see the interior of the second stall done, then the horses can start using it while we finish the exterior and the roof.

Also picked up 10 honeydew starts from a lady about a mile away (got to LOVE our local "farm and garden" site--she had a bunch of extra starts, so posted them on the site. I still have to plant them...wanted to do it this evening, but we were working on the stable until too late to start planting.

We lost one of the last 3 chicks to hatch (the last one, in fact), but losses are to be expected...so far, just 1 out of 7 didn't make it. There are 4 more in the process of hatching right now, with another 2 eggs another day or two behind.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Grocery shopping and yard sales on Friday.

Grocery shopping:

Restocked what we used
Ink cartridges - Husband wants to print out a binder full of prep info

Yard sales:
4 bags of Duplo blocks for the grand-niece - $3.50
2 shirts and 3 pants for same g-niece - $7

Husband ordered a surgical tool kit and is investigating suturing kits now. I've never had them in the first aid kit as I don't have those skills, but he's thinking maybe someone will come along who does, should we need it, or we're learn the hard way. I know there's classes, but they never come here, too rural.

Husband and I spent the morning dragging out the leftover Hardie-Board siding we'd bought in 2007 and stored away from when we built the house back then. We thought we had maybe 5 boards...we had 19. We will be able to put siding on the front and side of the 16 X 20 bonus room addition we're building. Of course, we have to buy the rest, but this was a big savings. Found some leftover fascia, too, not sure if we'll use that, though.

In my never-ending quest to de-clutter, I am cleaning out and sorting through my kitchen cabinets, getting rid of stuff we never use, re-organizing and putting things in proper order of use.

My deck garden is doing well - I have tomatoes and peppers on the plants. The orange tree is producing this year, too. The other plants have lots of blossoms, but no fruit yet.
Cin

Postby NJMike » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:19 pm

I've been handing out my extra seedlings, paying it forward.

Reconnected with some old friends. Found out I'd successfully inspired one family to start raising chickens. Yay! Another friend had saved a gift for me...and it was a good one. Got a free FILBE pack system, practically complete and only missing the hydration bladder and one of the hydration pouches. Everything else was all there, plus an extra hydration carrier from another company that did include a brand new hydration bladder.

Ordered a pair of IFAK pouches, plus some first aid kit refill sets to pack out the IFAKs and add to/refresh the other first aid kits.

The container garden is going well. However, I've been paying attention more to the amount of water I'm using, which has been about 15 gallons per watering. When I had the larger garden with raised beds and in the ground I wasn't really thinking about the water usage from the sprinklers. So this has been a bit of a revelation about how much water would be required for growing in a bad situation. Thus, I'm thinking more around the sourcing of water for planting when I relocate. Going to consider irrigation, cisterns, catchment systems, etc.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby farmer_dude48 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:04 am

Planted more cabbage and maters.... :thumbup:
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion