• Advertisement

November 2017 - What did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

November 2017 - What did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby Cin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:08 am

Started the new thread.

We've been kicking around the idea of a carport/woodshed/storage area the last couple years. Now that we've bought the new-to-us truck, we'll go ahead with the plan. Ordered a metal carport, 24 X 26, with some extra height (in case we buy a camper).

While in town, stopped at the store - turkeys were 88 cents a pound, (up 10 cents from last year), so we bought two. If we don't use them for Thanksgiving, they'll be cooked and dehydrated.
Cin

Re: November 2017 - What did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby MoeRN » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:37 am

I can't believe it's November now. I haven't been on here in quite awhile.

Stocking up on Kroger's canned veggie, soup, and broth sale today. Going to can some chicken next week.

We are fixing up our current in town home in order to buy a new one out in the country. Slowly but surely, inching forward with that.
Mom of 3 beautiful boys
Married to high school sweetheart for 10 years
RN (7 years experience) currently working in heart and vascular intensive care unit
P+

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."
MoeRN
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:28 pm

Going back to Front Sight. Taking another handgun class. Brushing up on my skills and keeping myself at top shape.
Photon Guy

Postby Cin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:49 pm

I've been busy this week.

Got my yearly dental appointment taken care of - clean teeth, no cavities, all is well.

Paid the county taxes for the year.

We shopped in town while we were out and about. Mostly just stocked up on what we used, and picked up a few things for the LTS - peanut butter and some canned goods.

Hunting season is on, we're hearing lots of gunshots.

The farmer down the road asked us if we'd keep an eye on him when he's moving cattle - his last ranch hand got a better job, so he's doing stuff alone...no problem for him, but he likes a second person around in case of accidents when he's out in the fields. We said yes, of course. Building relationships in our community.
Cin

Postby idahobeef » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:52 pm

Cin wrote:Started the new thread.

We've been kicking around the idea of a carport/woodshed/storage area the last couple years. Now that we've bought the new-to-us truck, we'll go ahead with the plan. Ordered a metal carport, 24 X 26, with some extra height (in case we buy a camper).

While in town, stopped at the store - turkeys were 88 cents a pound, (up 10 cents from last year), so we bought two. If we don't use them for Thanksgiving, they'll be cooked and dehydrated.

SMOKED Turkey is da bomb! My grandpa used to do it in an old fridge, hehe
idahobeef

Postby Blondie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:10 pm

I usually don't post here but while out today gas just jumped a whopping 40cents per gallon and is now at $3/gal.

Shell hiked their prices this morning. This is on top of another 20 cent increase on Mon. So far, no other station has hiked to match the $3. RDS has brewing news of some sort??

Topped off the tank and hit the bulk store.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby angie_nrs » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:56 pm

Putting stuff away from a shopping trip yesterday. I snagged some post-halloween bargains. I got some party tablecloths for .90-1.50 each to use as paint drop cloths, deer drop cloths while they hang, or even covering stuff up outside on a short term basis to keep things dry. They are a lot cheaper than tarps or drop cloths and thicker than shower curtains that you can get at the dollar store. I also picked up some cheap candy....most of which I will use in Christmas baskets b/c it didn't have any Halloween markings on it, but was still clearance priced. :D I also snagged some nice flashlights at TS for $1.50 each. Got some metal ammo boxes at WM yesterday for under $9. Not sure if that is a great price or not, but I wanted to get a couple. I also picked up 2 boxes of ammo while I was there. Also picked up some spices for 98 cents each, although I think Big Lots has better deals on spices....bigger containers and better selection.

I also bought 3 pairs of jeans......I didn't get them on sale but I HATE clothes shopping and I knew I needed some new jeans. WHY don't they make denim like they used to???? This stuff is so thin now that I'm sure they won't last long and will be COLD when winter hits. WTF????? If anyone knows of a place that still sells the thick denim at a reasonable price I would love to hear it. I got Lee's for $20 each. I typically get Levis but they are thin now as well and more expensive. I am not a brand snob either......I wish TS sold jeans for women. I may have to start another thread on this. Jeans are my daily pant wear.

I finished up some laundry, dishes, and moving of some stuff to prep for the Nov 4th date. I really don't put too much confidence in this date (with the CME drill and Antifa that I have been hearing about), but it serves as a motivator for me to (if nothing else) get some housework done before the weekend. I would never be able to forgive myself if a threat was identified and I totally ignored it even if I feel like it is bunk. :whistling:

I ordered some fish antibiotics last night after reviewing some old theads. It looks like that well is going to dry up soon.....did some research and thought it would be prudent to stock up there. Thanks ReadyMom!! I have no idea why I hadn't done this sooner.....I really should know better. I am getting into natural healing methods, but if an easy cure is available, why not use it? Hope it gets delivered before big brother shuts it ALL down. :cursing:
angie_nrs

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:48 am

Going to finish the chicken house add-on if the rain holds off wife and I got the floor done yesterday the rest should go pretty quick.. Got a doc app.this week other than that everything is normal....
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Dirk Williams » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:02 am

Since Trumps election, we've been doubling down on our freeze dried purchases. Doing two cases a month, also purchased another 2 k 308 rounds, for the battle rifles. Purchased 10 pounds of VV-n-165 gun powder, and 10 pounds of Varget.

Ordered 1000 308, 300 WM and 500 243 match grade bullets for the long range rifles.

Recovered the wood stores, covered the bee hives, had a decent harvest, still canning everything.

Woke to snow this morning. Time to dig out my winter crocs, and wool socks. " I wear summer crocs or flip flops from May 1st until first snow.

Am just finishing a 1961 ford pickup, unibody rat rod, with a bumpy 289 installed.

Tic Toc.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby Cin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:35 am

Our neighbor who bow hunts got a small buck last night. He wanted to try out his new cross bow. Because of health issues, he can no longer pull a compound bow. He shot the deer despite his broken arm, in a sling! Neighbor field dressed it and gave the deer to us. He then taught Husband how to butcher a deer. Husband already knows how to field dress, thanks to same neighbor.

This the first time in 3 years both men have been healthy enough to hunt/butcher!

I cut the backstrap into thin steaks - 6 for meals each for 2 people! The tenderloin is cut into thin steaks and is marinating for dinner this evening.

We will cut the rest into roasts, chunks, and burger, some of which will be for the dog treats. I used to make a pretty good venison jerky (back when folks gave us meat) so I may try that, too.

Next week is gun season, so Husband will be out hunting then.
Cin

Postby Cin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:07 pm

CORRECTION to above post...

Husband learned to cut the meat off the deer. He then brought it home.

WE butchered it together. I estimate we got about 35 pounds of meat.

18 sixteen ounce containers of chunked, cooked dog food
6 packages (two pounds each) of stew meat (for us)
Jerky currently marinating overnight - not sure of weight, but it fills my large mixing bowl
And the 7 meals (about a pound each) backstrap/steaks I mentioned above

We didn't take the rib meat off the deer as our neighbor mentioned it was not a lot of meat for a whole lot of work. Maybe next time.

The reason I'm excited about this is because although Husband has hunted once or twice in past years, we've always taken the meat to be processed. This time, we did it ourselves. Next time, we hope to find a good sausage recipe, and also to grind for deer burger.

We've come a long way from the city slickers who moved to the country and didn't have a clue as to how to harvest our own food! :clap:
Cin

Postby arkieready » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:04 pm

Congrats, cin. That IS a big deal when you learn such a skill. I once was given a deer, field dressed, with the undestanding that he wouldn't do more than help me hang it.
Maybe the sweetest meat I ever ate, lol. Can't say they were the prettiest cuts, but they were good enough for me.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Stahlrosen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:29 pm

That is fantastic Cin. Too warm here yet for us to process our own, the yellow jackets get to it before we would.
That's a pretty good haul for a small buck. Next you need to start tanning the hides :) Then you are all set!! :)
Stahlrosen

Postby Cin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:42 pm

Stahlrosen - Tanning hides? :shock:

We've had a bit of excitement around here. My Dad had a heart attack and ended up being taken to a bigger hospital by helicopter. He was given an angioplasty that saved his life, which included a new stent. All is well now - he's recovering nicely.

Husband has been mulching leaves with the lawn mower as Autumn leaves fall.

I completely cleaned and rearranged our newly built addition (which we call the cabin). One side is now my sewing room. The other side is a sitting room and along one wall are the computers and photography items. It is now our hobby room, as was originally intended.

Dropped a chunk of tax dollars when I registered the new truck this week. :shock: Picked up some first aid items for the new truck's kit, too. Husband is putting together a tool kit for the truck, too. Prepping it for winter and beyond.

I am gearing up for the holiday season as we will be having an assortment of guests starting Saturday...
Cin

Postby IceFire » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:51 pm

Finished the last of the drywall taping and mudding, and the last little bit of painting in the "she shed." Got the sewing desk, machine, cutting table, ironing table, fabric, and dress forms moved in; as well as my 1880's costumes, boots, and hats. Got the spare room vacuumed up from thread, fabric "snips", etc. and should be moving the furniture back in to turn it back into a guest room this weekend.

Son-in-law was brewing beer this evening, so saved me the malted grains for some experimental "malted grain bread" baking...I'll let y'all know the results.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion