• Advertisement

Nuke Plants

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Nuke Plants

Postby Chester Copperpot » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:30 pm

I, like many of my southern bretheren, live near a nuclear power plant. SC alone has 18-facilities that house or manage nuclear materials. Being in the southeastern US, this makes bug-in plans less feasable. I recently had talks with a SCANNA (power company) representative who assured me that all of the nuke plants in SC have failsafe operations which are guaranteed to self contain and cool (operate without humans) for at least 10-years. Most of them will actually operate alone in the excess of 20-years. But they're certifified and automated for 10. Learning this makes me feel a whole lot better for my long term survival plans. In case of invasion, pandemic, economic, or other disaster that will prevent nuclear workers from tending their posts, we will still survive. Apparently, places like Fukashima, Japan didn't have these kind of measures in place. Go figure...
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.
Chester Copperpot
South Carolina Preppers Network

Re: Nuke Plants

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Hey CC - we just moved from SC to GA and we lived near the one that was being expanded but then went belly-up when Westinghouse filed for Bankruptcy. What a mess that has been. And the SCE&G and Santee Cooper customers have paid the ultimate price of higher rates and no expansion that they have funded. BUT - good to hear they have some safety protocols for long term survival. Nuclear power has always scared me although it has been pretty safe here in the states. I hope they're telling the truth.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Chester Copperpot » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:50 pm

I am just over 10-miles by the way the crow flies from VC Summer. The belly-up thing is what spawned the whole conversation. My neighbors inside the 10-mile circle got iodine pills in the mail to prevent thyroid cancer in the event of nuclear fallout. Despite the economic fallout from the failed project, I'm glad they didn't build that second reactor. I don't have to worry about glowing in the dark quite as much.
Chester Copperpot

Postby daaswampman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:43 pm

Guaranteed by who? I would guess Fukashima had as good of safeguards and probable better, than any of the aging facilities on the East Coast. You can only plan for what you expect - that is the root of the problem.

Remember the Challenger! Disintegration of the vehicle began after an O-ring failed at liftoff. The best minds and a huge budget - an O-ring!

Distance is a factor you can depend on. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:15 pm

I have to agree that there really aren't ANY guarantees. I was never comfortable being that close to VC Summer. We were just outside the evacuation zone but I drove thru it each day.

Plan for it anyway or move - that's all you can do.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby Chester Copperpot » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:21 pm

I hear ya, Swamp. Figured you'd weigh in. Japan should've had these preventative, automative measures, but they didn't. The standards here in the US since 3-mile Island are much more stringent. I trust what I've been told, because my source is solid and privy to top level company structural information. Distance you bring up is a fact, sir. But it is one that cannot be afforded in the southeastern US. I'll take the good info that allows me to continue to bug-in.
Chester Copperpot

Postby Chester Copperpot » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:24 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:I have to agree that there really aren't ANY guarantees. I was never comfortable being that close to VC Summer. We were just outside the evacuation zone but I drove thru it each day.

Plan for it anyway or move - that's all you can do.

Mrs FP

Forward, you and I apparently lived pretty close together. Hate I never met up at your breakfast meetings or made other contact. I bet there's a lot I could've learned from you.
Chester Copperpot

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks CC - it was a great time of fun, fellowship and learning. We had always felt we would bug in - we were north of town, west of the nuke plant, near the lake and loved our area. We then were presented with an opportunity to move to a more rural area of Georgia with like minded folks and thought it was best for our family. I still miss the Columbia area very much, spent many years there and our kids still live there.

That being said - you know the precautions to take with that plant in your area. Other than that, I think it's a great area to bug in. We have one daughter south of the plant in Blythewood, one in Lexington and a son in Columbia proper. All will be headed this way should things get really bad though.

take care!
Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Return to General Preparedness Discussion