• Advertisement

2018 JANUARY - What did you do to prep this week/month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

2018 JANUARY - What did you do to prep this week/month?

Postby Cin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:39 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Happy New Year! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Started the new thread.

Yesterday, I purged and decluttered my china hutch, got rid of everything I haven't used in the 11 years since we moved here, and made a shelf of sentimental stuff for each of the kids. For myself, I kept the special tablecloths for Christmas, and the ones from the grands, plus the family sets of china (to be passed down, if they want it). I also kept the holiday serving dishes.

An entire box of tablecloths, napkins, holiday plastic ware, candle holders, and assorted non-matching spare dishes will go to the thrift store.

I kept some napkins and tablecloths for my sewing pile, they inspired an idea for a quilt...

If you are out and about this evening for the new year, please drive safe and stay safe.
Cin

Re: 2018 JANUARY - What did you do to prep this week/month?

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:00 pm

I am getting rid of things too. We are giving son and wife things from the house. Some items
of my moms, some from his other grandmother. I have extra everything, sheets, towels, pots
and pans, you name it so letting them have some. Extra table and chairs, yes we keep things.
Hubs put sides on a 16 ft trailer, he is loading it with grandma's riding mower, generator, tools,
snow plow, etc, for son and the other stuff. Things I don't use but didn't want to give away.
It's going to make our house less cluttered and help them out till their stuff comes in 35 to 45
days. Giving them basics like some bath soap, TP, stuff that when you drive in from a long trip
and its 20 below you don't want to run to the store to get. Not hurting us, stuff from our stashes.
Then going with son, he is driving our old truck, I will drive his new car, hubs is pulling the trailer
with my truck, think its going to be long, miserable, and cold, will be this week or next. Doesn't
add to ours though, we are ok.

Yes Happy New Year to All!! Hope the coming one is good to you and yours.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby IceFire » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:38 pm

Happy New Year everyone!

Moved the wood that I had originally planned on using for the new chicken coops over near the goat pen so that I can use it to start on building the new goat shed/milk house. Hope to start working on it tomorrow.

Also placed my seed orders.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ajax727 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:23 am

Happy New year to all .

Our prepping has taken a new path ,my son finished up a remodel on a house I gave him . I also became a grandfather on 11 - 11 - 17 . So now we must adjust our preps for a grandson and that will take some thinking and a supply of needed baby items as he grows up . We used up part of our short term preps so we will be restocking , can goods that were a little out of date , bread flour that was getting old but was still good ( the bread made from it was still good ) .
The list now will include preps used and adding more medical supplies , a new chicken house , a new goat barn , and rabbit cages for the son new home . That is the short list on what needs to be done for 2018 .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Flightnurse1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:26 pm

Ran the generators and added fuel stabilizer to everything for the winter.
Flightnurse1

Postby daaswampman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 pm

The holidays are when I review my priorities and strategies. Once I started putting everything in writing, it all began to make real sense! I have met way too many folks getting ready for the big one without a thought for tomorrow.

#1 is your health! It is the foundation of everything!

#2 is your knowledge and the skills to apply it!

#3 is your adaptability! Will I be willing to go to plan b when plan a ain't working so well, or will I waste my
time like most folks do - doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results?
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Stahlrosen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Happy New Year Everyone!!! :clap:

Lots of wood chopping here since that is how we heat our house. Going down to near 0 tonight. Keeping water on the stove so we can use it to thaw frozen troughs and bowls. Rotating out some canned stuff and reorganizing the pantry. Got some new shelves and racks up so that should help. Going to tackle the main closet tomorrow and clear out unused stuff. Have several crochet projects I need to finish up, and one deer hide to finish. Also need to get the greenhouse redone and ready for early planting.

Everyone stay safe and warm!
Stahlrosen

Postby IceFire » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:16 pm

Got the parts for goat pen gates (1 to close off additional pen next to the current one for separating mom/babies for milking, 1 for the new pen we will be building; got some additional heavy-duty shelving for the canning kitchen; got another cabinet for the sewing shed and got it put together and in place--now just need to fill it; helped husband put up some additional solar-powered security lights.

With all of that, did NOT get started on building the new goat shed. Hopefully next weekend.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby farmer_dude48 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:52 am

We made homemade Sausage , Butter and canned more Chicken soup....

On a side note I still can't find the damn thermostat to turn the heat up outside its 6 below this morning

Stay warm , Stay safe
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby woodchipper518 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:40 am

No much but significant for me.

There was a recent thread on the 2 most valuable skills needed to Survive or join a group. Actually, I think several of us hijacked the original intent and made it into something similar. Nevertheless....Physical shape was one of the common responses to which I did not measure up to. Coincidentally, my wife and I are headed to Israel for a holyland tour in two weeks. We thought it would be good to get some muscle tone, flexibility, stamina and energy back in our 50+ bodies.

So we started working out and eating better.....well after we finish off the holiday junk food....or until we throw it away. I also got another ham radio for the car. So I need to program it to match my handheld.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Postby Cin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:29 am

We've had very low temperatures dropping below 0 degrees a few times. No snow or rain, yet.

Husband powered up the wood stove. I've been testing cooking on it - a pot of 15 bean soup yesterday! Pretty tasty.

I've packed one box for the thrift store - more de-cluttering to make space for preps.

My goal is to store more preps in the house, rather than in LTS, so that we can access some things quicker when we need them.

As with several others, we reassess our preps and make determinations on what we need and where we'll put it as we make plans for the new year.
Cin

Postby arkieready » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Enjoying a prep I got last month. LP wall heater. I love the thing. It loves gas.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby mom2grandma » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:41 am

my husband and I always thought it important to have a Christmas gift for each grandchild. If and when SHTF they would have something new. Although he has gone, I have maintained this tradition. Just finished making an amazon order for mittens for girls and winter gloves for boys. Now will pick up box ammo or bath and body item for each and I am DONE shopping for 2018. will have a few other items to get for non family members, however if poo poo these items will not be important. stay warm it is cold all schools closed today. temp -8 wind chill -30.
hopefully will start getting wood cut and make a seed order soon.
mom2grandma

Postby Cin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Winter is a time to evaluate and take stock in what one has, what one is doing, and what one plans for the coming year.

Husband and I have decided to sell a couple of the vehicles. We are 2 drivers and have 4 vehicles and it's silly to keep so many. We have never sold or traded in a vehicle before, generally, when ours are at the end of their lives, we hand them down to family members who need one. We always hand them over in good condition and most have gotten 2 - 3 more years of service out of them. However, no one needs one right now!

We're thinking of just heading to CarMax and see what they'll give us. So anyone with experience with CarMax, please chime in.

Husband let the wood stove fire go out, we're supposed to have days in the 60s the rest of this week. We'll restart it when the cold hits again.

He is currently canning bacon - he wanted to try it after reading an article on necessary fats in the diet post-SHTF. The canned bacon prices shocked him, so he went to town, loaded up on bacon, and is now pressure-canning away! His plan is to open one in a month and see how we like it.

I'm just working on decluttering - a little here, and little there.
Cin

Postby rickdun » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:21 pm

Cin wrote:
He is currently canning bacon - he wanted to try it after reading an article on necessary fats in the diet post-SHTF. The canned bacon prices shocked him, so he went to town, loaded up on bacon, and is now pressure-canning away! His plan is to open one in a month and see how we like it.

I'm just working on decluttering - a little here, and little there.

Cin, here's an article I found on canning bacon, maybe helpful to your Hub.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/canned-bacon/
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion